Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Looking at a 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turnaround89
I found a 914 near me and am going to look at it but want some other opinions since i am new to 914's. I emailed the person selling the car because he said the motor was rebuilt but not running and he replied with this,

"We mounted the engine in the car after the rebuild but did not complete installing the injectors and ignition control unit or anything else. So we never attempted a restart after the rebuild."

Anyone think this would be a bad car to start with? It is the 2.0liter engine and he is asking 2500obo, car looks to be in good shape from the pictures but i am going to go and look at it in person next week, to see the hell hole, etc. Please help!!
markb
welcome.png

Check out the search function. There have been a lot of threads about this. Good luck, and keep us updated. It would help if you posted a bunch of pictures before you make your purchase, and if you gave us a lot more info on the car.
SGB
hmmmm.
$2500 is not much if the rest of the car really is OK. How long has it been sitting? Outside or inside?

WELCOME TO THE MONKEY HOUSE!!!!
carr914
I think this is the car in question. The "rebuilt engine"? and rust scared me

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
carr914
Some more pics. So It needs rust repair, paint, motor work and who knows what else?

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

ericread
From the pictures, the rust in the "longs" indicates a major project. Even more troubling is the engine rebuild comments. Who goes to all the trouble of rebuilding an engine just to decide at the last minute to not fire it up? The whole fun of a rebuild is to hear it run. I would suspect the "rebuild" is suspect.

Unless you are looking forward to some serious welding and another engine rebuild, I would think carefully before proceeding.

Eric Read
rhodyguy
that's a swell parts car. but not $2.5k swell.
Root_Werks
agree.gif Unless you can hear it run or drive it, $2500 seems high. It's a parts car or a ground up rebuild.

People just don't throw time and money into something like an engine and then not hook up the last 2-3 hours worth of stuff. Something probably isn't right.
6freak
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jun 23 2008, 10:51 PM) *

I found a 914 near me and am going to look at it but want some other opinions since i am new to 914's. I emailed the person selling the car because he said the motor was rebuilt but not running and he replied with this,

"We mounted the engine in the car after the rebuild but did not complete installing the injectors and ignition control unit or anything else. So we never attempted a restart after the rebuild."

Anyone think this would be a bad car to start with? It is the 2.0liter engine and he is asking 2500obo, car looks to be in good shape from the pictures but i am going to go and look at it in person next week, to see the hell hole, etc. Please help!!

SCRAPE IT.that makes mine worth more sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif smash.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
turnaround89
Wow, thats the car, thanks for those pictures, makes me not want the car anymore. I would like a project but also want something i can drive home, i just wanted to know how difficult the engine work would be. thanks for the pictures, don't think i will go see it anymore. thanks everybody.
ericread
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jun 24 2008, 12:44 PM) *

Wow, thats the car, thanks for those pictures, makes me not want the car anymore. I would like a project but also want something i can drive home, i just wanted to know how difficult the engine work would be. thanks for the pictures, don't think i will go see it anymore. thanks everybody.

Good decision. Now go out and find a better one. That's the one we want to see the pictures from. beerchug.gif
carr914
QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Jun 24 2008, 03:44 PM) *

No Problem, glad I could help and save you a trip. I was sent the pics by someone other than the seller and I was really put off about the engine thing. As others said, you don't rebuild an engine, install it, and then give up before firing it up. And by the dust on top of the engine, it was either done in Iraq or ten years ago. Now it is just a parts car with Fuchs. It's a shame when people wait too long to work on a car, then let it rust away and then want to get their money back out by pawning it off an unsuspecting person.

T.C.

turnaround89
Once again, thanks guys for helping me out. I have been looking and my dad found one in the city where i live. I think it is the only one and it is for sale. 4000, its a 74 with a 2.0, and i already test drove it. Now i just need the funds for it. I want to make the car into my with fender flares, wider rims, and new paint. The car is suprisingly quick, i loved driving it and am working my a@# off to get it.
JRust
For a 914 you are always better taking your time & looking at more cars. Once you are familiar with what to look for. You will find a nice car. Even if you pay more for a nicer one your are just about always better off. These cars are old & unless you are in the 20k range they will need work. Structural stuff is a big $$$$ eater though. So find a car with as little rust as possible. Good luck smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.