Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Went and looked at a car today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malaga_red75
So I went and looked at 74 1.8 and there was a significant amount of rust around the right-rear jack point. I am assuming that this is from the hell hole and the battery acid and all of that.

It had a big enough rust hole so that I could put my hand through it...

anyways my question is, is that besides this rust hole, the rest of the car was pretty much exactly what I need for my project, so can this be fixed? I am willing to take it to a body shop to get it professionally done or if it can be done with a simple weld in piece, I have access to a welder too.

Let me know what you think. Thanks.

-Peter
McMark
The repair is not difficult, but it does take time. There are quite a few threads on here that detail this type of repair. You'll need to either make pieces yourself, or find someone cutting up a good car and get original metal (not easy to find). At the risk of sounding self-serving, I would recommend taking the work to a shop that knows 914s intimately. Besides myself, there is Yeoman's Auto Body who is much closer to you and they've done a TON of 914s.

Also, take a look inside the passenger compartment. The area around the passenger side seatbelt anchor can be pretty rotten as well. If you have any pictures, post them. thumb3d.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Jun 23 2008, 11:02 PM) *

The repair is not difficult, but it does take time. There are quite a few threads on here that detail this type of repair. You'll need to either make pieces yourself, or find someone cutting up a good car and get original metal (not easy to find). At the risk of sounding self-serving, I would recommend taking the work to a shop that knows 914s intimately. Besides myself, there is Yeoman's Auto Body who is much closer to you and they've done a TON of 914s.

Also, take a look inside the passenger compartment. The area around the passenger side seatbelt anchor can be pretty rotten as well. If you have any pictures, post them. thumb3d.gif

agree.gif

if the rust made it all the way down to the jack-post, that means the top of the long under the battery tray and the firewall on that side and probably the engine shelf are all toast and need replacing!
might even ate it's way into the suspension console/ear ...

you will have to brace your chassis so it won't flex during the repairs. otherwise, you'll never be able to align it right and the doors won't fit.

this is *not* a beginner repair.
smash.gif Andy
atomix8
I'm having something very similar repaired right now. Mine was made worse by a Air Conditioner install that let the battery acid have a short cut to the suspension console.

Are your floor boards rotten in that area too (rear window leak)?

Not something I was brave enough to attempt as a new owner I'm sad to say.

Could be worth fixing if the car is the right price, but in CA, you can probably find a nicer car that doesn't have that problem! Or take it Yeoman's or McMark's before you buy and see how $deep$ you'll be going for repairs!
carr914
If you look close enough it probably looks like this. I'm fixing this, but it's a Six.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

rhodyguy
if you farm out the labor to fix it, it's going to be expensive and time consuming. what you can see right now is prob going to be the tip of the iceberg. factor in the repair cost to what the owner is asking and upgrade to a better car. if the repair goes real deep you'll need a paint job too. what is the owner asking?
malaga_red75
Thanks for the responses...

I did look at the passenger compartment near the seatbelt, and there was a little hole at the joint of the floor pan and the firewall. Sounds like I should keep looking.

I am trying to do most of this project myself, so maybe this car is not the right one.

kerensky
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jun 24 2008, 07:58 AM) *
Thanks for the responses... Sounds like I should keep looking.
It always sucks to hear that from others, but I think you're making the right choice here. This car would be a lot of work for a DIY restoration and you'll spend a lot more time and cash than you want to. sad.gif
carr914
Plus you are in the land of Rust-Free 914s. You should be able to find something, especially with the help of some members in your area.

T.C.
6freak
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 24 2008, 06:15 AM) *

If you look close enough it probably looks like this. I'm fixing this, but it's a Six.

T.C.

Click to view attachment

junk scrape that one to sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif smash.gif
carr914
Never!. It will be one of the nicest cars you'll see when done. It has some very Rare options and I've spent about 15 large on it's rusteration so far. blink.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

6freak
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jun 24 2008, 09:32 AM) *

Never!. It will be one of the nicest cars you'll see when done. It has some very Rare options and I've spent about 15 large on it's rusteration so far. blink.gif

T.C.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

when done! av-943.gif ! i dont plan on living to 110 poke.gif
carr914
You're a Funny Guy

Click to view attachment
malaga_red75
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jun 24 2008, 07:43 AM) *

if you farm out the labor to fix it, it's going to be expensive and time consuming. what you can see right now is prob going to be the tip of the iceberg. factor in the repair cost to what the owner is asking and upgrade to a better car. if the repair goes real deep you'll need a paint job too. what is the owner asking?

2800 and it was at 3800 a week ago....
r_towle
to much money, and I am from the land of salt and rust.

Its a 2-5k job depending upon the severity.

Rich
Wes V
QUOTE(malaga_red75 @ Jun 24 2008, 05:52 PM) *

2800 and it was at 3800 a week ago....

My god, not only should you pass, you should run.

I picked up one that was similar for $900.

I'm doing the work my self and although not that difficult, it's very time consuming.

Wes
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.