Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: found an old car in a field
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dw914er
Ok, so i was driving on a back road and i found a datsun 240z (and a 280z 2+2) in a deserted field.

I feel compelled to get the cars becasue the old datsuns are cool (and the 280z powertrain is better built overall, so a swap for ther 240 would make a good, powerful and strong 240z)

it isnt the rarer series 1 z, but still an early z.

my question, besides for the obvious project and build, towing, etc, is the legal issues.

How would i be able to register the car, etc. It looks like it has been sitting around for awhile, with a few pontiac fieros, and i would hate to see such a (potentially) beautiful classic go to waste, but idk if ill ever be able to track down the rightful owner.

What would be the best thing to do? Track down the owner (but how) or how do i register the car in my name?
dw914er
BTW, i am in California, and I want to build the 240z, with parts from the 280z.

thanks
shoguneagle
If you do pick up "that car" or another one without title, you should try to get the original title along with a bill of sale and all related paper work. If the original registered and legal owners are not available then it goes into a different channel. Always get whatever paper work available; if none, then maybe it can be handled as an abandoned vehicle, or obtain a title based on a historical statement along with with a bonded title (backed up by insurance company bond).

Before doing anything like build the car, run a historical tracer through the DMV (although most registrations will expire and be taken off the DMV computers after five years.

Where the car is and on whose property it is located is another starting point. They may be the original and registered owners, having all the original paper work; besides, always get permission from the property owners before doing anything on the car. Try to get some type of written agreement from them since they may just want it removed, and maybe they will give you a written bill of sale.

Let us say you were able to get the car, DMV checked out not being on the computers, you take possession of the car, a bill of sale is obtained, and related items seem to fall into place for this car. Also, make sure all the date and information labels are still visible in the left door. Somewhere along the line and after you have been able to get some type of ownership papers, the DMV will want these verified by either the Cal Hiway Patrol or local Police Department. Usually the body has to be able to roll off a trailer since DMV employees are not allowed to handle cars while on the trailer (they verify serial numbers, etc.)

To get a Insurance bonded title, it takes purchasing a bond along with the inspections listed above. Always check with DMV and understand what is happening during the process of perfecting a title.

Abandoned vehicle left on someones property means probably the property owner has to start some type of legal action. Special rules may apply here AND always learn from the DMV.

You may not be able to get a perfected title (one that shows you as owner) until you get it running. Build the car as if it will have to go to the Referee including all the smog equipment.

How do I know: First, take the 38 years I lived in Santa Clara, CA. I perfected the title similar to what you are facing on at least two cars (1974 Alfa Romero and 1974 Porsche 914); on the Alfa the seller gave me DMV paper work on "Lost Ownership" certificate (Pink Slip) which he siged and I signed; I then had to send tracer to determine the status on the DMV Computers (was not listed); got the last registered owners on a registration found in the car; sent both of them separate registered, return receipt letters; after 30 days these letters were returned to me (DO NOT OPEN); which I took to the DMV in Santa Clara to get whatever paper work to complete the ownership transfer at a later date; since the value was less than $2,000, I believe I was able to get it into my name (may have required a bond) and I built it back to original condition.

The second car, the 914: Came from a junk yard which gave me a bill of sale; took it to DMV and found it was not registered on the DMV computers; DMV told me what I would need in the future; went ahead and built my car (Chev 350 V-8 power with all the V_8 smog equipment); went back to DMV to start the generation of final title paper work and had the local Police Department verify the labels and numbers found in the left door along with the serial numbers (several locations). Had this car for 18 years.

Current project which is from California (I live in Arizona and California) and is a 1974 Porsche 914 was obtained without any California title and was registered in California at one time. I checked the DMV computers and it came back as not being listed on them. The original document I obtained was a bill of sale and later a "Notorized Bill of Sale". With this document and loading the car on the trailer for transportation to Califfornia, I could have perfected a legal title in the body. DMV employees are not allowed to climb aboard trailers so the chassis had to be rolling so it can be removed from any type of transportation at the DMV Office. At this point, I was interested in only perfecting sometype of ownership title in the car, not the registeration, and a bond would probably have to be obtained.

I decided to get a legal title to the vehicle in Arizona since it was more convenient and less trouble caused by distance. I took the "Notorized Bill of Sale" along with an insurance bond to the AZ Motor Vehicle Dept. and they issued a bonded title which will stay with the car for the rest of its historical life. I have not registered the car yet since the mechanical conversion is taking place changing it from a four to a six cylinder The car does not require smog although this is the way I am building it since it will eventually be back in California permanently (I know, the age of the car does require smog, but it must meet the CA engine equipment laws under current law; if CA ever eliminates the exemption law for certain aged cars I am ready to meet their requirements).

Hope the above gives some insight and information that helps you.

Steve Hurt
mel reckling
Hey, stay out of my field ya dangburn claim-jumper.

Just kidding. You sure these aren't stolen or insurance frauds? There's a lake around here, Jaque Quarry, that was a dumping ground for a whole bunch of these. When they searched they found a bunch of Vettes and other classics sitting on the bottom since the 60s.

Go ahead, open the hood, I dare ya!

QUOTE(dw914er @ Jun 25 2008, 01:36 AM) *

Ok, so i was driving on a back road and i found a datsun 240z (and a 280z 2+2) in a deserted field.

I feel compelled to get the cars becasue the old datsuns are cool (and the 280z powertrain is better built overall, so a swap for ther 240 would make a good, powerful and strong 240z)

it isnt the rarer series 1 z, but still an early z.

my question, besides for the obvious project and build, towing, etc, is the legal issues.

How would i be able to register the car, etc. It looks like it has been sitting around for awhile, with a few pontiac fieros, and i would hate to see such a (potentially) beautiful classic go to waste, but idk if ill ever be able to track down the rightful owner.

What would be the best thing to do? Track down the owner (but how) or how do i register the car in my name?

Sounds like a 'old' post from another site biggrin.gif
dbgriffith75
I'm agreeing w/ shoguneagle here- find out whose property its sitting on and see what they know; then go from there That's your best course of action at this point.
kerensky
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Jun 25 2008, 07:36 AM) *

I'm agreeing w/ shoguneagle here- find out whose property its sitting on and see what they know; then go from there That's your best course of action at this point.
Technically, it's the only legal course of action...

On the subject of titling old cars, every state has different rules. In some states it's nigh-unto-impossible to register a car that doesn't have a clean title. Others it can be done fairly easily. Sounds like you have solid CA-specific info in this thread, but just wanted to warn others reading the thread that what works in CA may get you in deep kimchee in some states.
dw914er
QUOTE(shoguneagle @ Jun 25 2008, 04:27 AM) *

If you do pick up "that car" or another one without title, you should try to get the original title along with a bill of sale and all related paper work. If the original registered and legal owners are not available then it goes into a different channel. Always get whatever paper work available; if none, then maybe it can be handled as an abandoned vehicle, or obtain a title based on a historical statement along with with a bonded title (backed up by insurance company bond).

Before doing anything like build the car, run a historical tracer through the DMV (although most registrations will expire and be taken off the DMV computers after five years.

Where the car is and on whose property it is located is another starting point. They may be the original and registered owners, having all the original paper work; besides, always get permission from the property owners before doing anything on the car. Try to get some type of written agreement from them since they may just want it removed, and maybe they will give you a written bill of sale.

Let us say you were able to get the car, DMV checked out not being on the computers, you take possession of the car, a bill of sale is obtained, and related items seem to fall into place for this car. Also, make sure all the date and information labels are still visible in the left door. Somewhere along the line and after you have been able to get some type of ownership papers, the DMV will want these verified by either the Cal Hiway Patrol or local Police Department. Usually the body has to be able to roll off a trailer since DMV employees are not allowed to handle cars while on the trailer (they verify serial numbers, etc.)

To get a Insurance bonded title, it takes purchasing a bond along with the inspections listed above. Always check with DMV and understand what is happening during the process of perfecting a title.

Abandoned vehicle left on someones property means probably the property owner has to start some type of legal action. Special rules may apply here AND always learn from the DMV.

You may not be able to get a perfected title (one that shows you as owner) until you get it running. Build the car as if it will have to go to the Referee including all the smog equipment.

How do I know: First, take the 38 years I lived in Santa Clara, CA. I perfected the title similar to what you are facing on at least two cars (1974 Alfa Romero and 1974 Porsche 914); on the Alfa the seller gave me DMV paper work on "Lost Ownership" certificate (Pink Slip) which he siged and I signed; I then had to send tracer to determine the status on the DMV Computers (was not listed); got the last registered owners on a registration found in the car; sent both of them separate registered, return receipt letters; after 30 days these letters were returned to me (DO NOT OPEN); which I took to the DMV in Santa Clara to get whatever paper work to complete the ownership transfer at a later date; since the value was less than $2,000, I believe I was able to get it into my name (may have required a bond) and I built it back to original condition.

The second car, the 914: Came from a junk yard which gave me a bill of sale; took it to DMV and found it was not registered on the DMV computers; DMV told me what I would need in the future; went ahead and built my car (Chev 350 V-8 power with all the V_8 smog equipment); went back to DMV to start the generation of final title paper work and had the local Police Department verify the labels and numbers found in the left door along with the serial numbers (several locations). Had this car for 18 years.

Current project which is from California (I live in Arizona and California) and is a 1974 Porsche 914 was obtained without any California title and was registered in California at one time. I checked the DMV computers and it came back as not being listed on them. The original document I obtained was a bill of sale and later a "Notorized Bill of Sale". With this document and loading the car on the trailer for transportation to Califfornia, I could have perfected a legal title in the body. DMV employees are not allowed to climb aboard trailers so the chassis had to be rolling so it can be removed from any type of transportation at the DMV Office. At this point, I was interested in only perfecting sometype of ownership title in the car, not the registeration, and a bond would probably have to be obtained.

I decided to get a legal title to the vehicle in Arizona since it was more convenient and less trouble caused by distance. I took the "Notorized Bill of Sale" along with an insurance bond to the AZ Motor Vehicle Dept. and they issued a bonded title which will stay with the car for the rest of its historical life. I have not registered the car yet since the mechanical conversion is taking place changing it from a four to a six cylinder The car does not require smog although this is the way I am building it since it will eventually be back in California permanently (I know, the age of the car does require smog, but it must meet the CA engine equipment laws under current law; if CA ever eliminates the exemption law for certain aged cars I am ready to meet their requirements).

Hope the above gives some insight and information that helps you.

Steve Hurt

thanks, Ill try that to pick up the car.

I also found word of a 356 laying around in a shed, and the owner has passd away. I might be doing a legal hunt for 2 cars.
ConeDodger
Are you trying to build something like this...
dw914er
yea, sorta. (nice datsun racing inspired paint theme!)

my buddy has a 260z, and went to that z meet btw

but yea, i want to build a 240z, with probably the 280z drivetrain (stronger) and see how clean, yet fast i can get the car to be.
GeorgeRud
If I read your post correctly, one of the cars is a 240Z 2+2 (the one with a small back seat). I had many friends that were into the Z cars, and absolutely no one wanted the 2+2 model, as it didn't do anything as well as the original. Don't go for that one.

As we all know, by the time you'll get the 240Z into good condition, you will end up so upside down (financially) in the project, that you could have bought the beautifully restored 240Z in the last post. I'm not sure how the parts supply for old Datsuns is holding up. Porsche has done a good job of keeping parts available, but they've gotten much worse as many parts are now NLA.

I would reccommend letting sleeping dogs lie.
dw914er
the car i want is the 240z.

next to the 240, is a 280z 2+2. I want to use parts of the 280z, to build the 240z.

Parts of the car are in amazing shape. The body is good (but has the wrong hood), and even the dash isnt cracked! If it is beyond repair, then ill give parts to my friends 260z, and part out the rest
ConeDodger
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jun 25 2008, 09:45 AM) *

If I read your post correctly, one of the cars is a 240Z 2+2 (the one with a small back seat). I had many friends that were into the Z cars, and absolutely no one wanted the 2+2 model, as it didn't do anything as well as the original. Don't go for that one.

As we all know, by the time you'll get the 240Z into good condition, you will end up so upside down (financially) in the project, that you could have bought the beautifully restored 240Z in the last post. I'm not sure how the parts supply for old Datsuns is holding up. Porsche has done a good job of keeping parts available, but they've gotten much worse as many parts are now NLA.

I would reccommend letting sleeping dogs lie.

There was no 240Z 2+2. That didn't come along until the 260Z. Putting the 280Z drivetrain into the 240Z is almost bolt in. The shifter opening has to be relocated to put the 5 speed in but it is minor stuff.

And no... you cannot buy the one in that post. it is not for sale. dry.gif

The factory restored 240Z cars are selling for $30 - 50K these days. Beautifully and correctly restored 240Z cars are commanding up to that. They should get more as the factory restored cars were not "correctly" done.

ConeDodger
By the way, be careful. You might find out that the owner is well aware that he has the Z cars parked in his field and if you try to move them he might put a double tap 9mm right between your eyes. Oh wait. We are in California. You can't protect property. mad.gif

Check out HybridZ.Com for information on swapping just about anything into a Z
Gint
I didn't read through the entire thread. Whatever you do, don't steal it. Good luck.
championgt1
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 25 2008, 09:21 AM) *

Besides the fart tube that is one sweet 240Z!
Zundfolge
Are these cars on public land? I bet not, I bet someone owns the dirt they are sitting and chances are its the same person that owns the cars (or at least they should be able to put you in contact with the cars' owner).

Find the county assessor's web site, many counties have all the information online and easily searchable. Assuming the land is in San Bernardino County, I believe this is the place you wanna go: http://nppublic.co.san-bernardino.ca.us/ne...sInterface.aspx

If it IS public land, contact the state or county agency that in charge of the land and ask if you can remove the cars (but first I'd go get the VINs and run them through the police).
brant
QUOTE(dw914er @ Jun 25 2008, 02:36 AM) *

What would be the best thing to do?

" Run away.... Run away....."
ConeDodger
QUOTE(championgt1 @ Jun 25 2008, 06:39 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 25 2008, 09:21 AM) *

Besides the fart tube that is one sweet 240Z!

The car has triple Webers... You put it in you got to let it out! Exhaust is 2.5" mandrel bent... The tip is actually part of the SS muffler.
dw914er
QUOTE(Gint @ Jun 25 2008, 06:04 PM) *

I didn't read through the entire thread. Whatever you do, don't steal it. Good luck.

yea, I didnt want to steal it. I want these cars (aka a car, and then other parts) the right way.

Though, Conedodger, the 5 speed will bolt up. Most* parts for the 240z, 260z, and 280z were interchangable (i learned this when my buddy blew his 260 transmission). I also havn't seen the 240z's go for 30-50k here (japan, yes). We had the early 240z, a 69 series 1 go for only 10k. But the market here could be different than the one there.

thanks for the help though, I think having a cool german car, and a cool japanese car would be pretty sweet.

scotty914
run forest run

914 owners have problems with cars in fields

i still feel dirty from the last one, and all i did was send some bail money
rhodyguy
focus on the 356.
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 25 2008, 09:26 AM) *

There was no 240Z 2+2. That didn't come along until the 260Z. Putting the 280Z drivetrain into the 240Z is almost bolt in. The shifter opening has to be relocated to put the 5 speed in but it is minor stuff.

Is that your car, Rob?

It is also possible to swap the R200 diff from the 280Z for the R180 that's in the 240Z. It's been a while, but I recall that the 2+2 had a lower ratio ring/pinion than the 2 seater (3.9 vs 3.7?)... but that might have only been in the 280ZX. Automatics had lower ratios, like 3.5? You can also swap in the R200 from a 300ZX Turbo, and get a clutch type LSD... but that's not a bolt-in. The drive shaft doesn't match.

Sorry for the hijack... back to our regularly scheduled thread.
dw914er
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jun 26 2008, 11:15 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jun 25 2008, 09:26 AM) *

Is that your car, Rob?

It is also possible to swap the R200 diff from the 280Z for the R180 that's in the 240Z. It's been a while, but I recall that the 2+2 had a lower ratio ring/pinion than the 2 seater (3.9 vs 3.7?)... but that might have only been in the 280ZX. Automatics had lower ratios, like 3.5? You can also swap in the R200 from a 300ZX Turbo, and get a clutch type LSD... but that's not a bolt-in. The drive shaft doesn't match.

Sorry for the hijack... back to our regularly scheduled thread.

Todd, its all good. I'm in the planning daydream, where im tryng to figure out what I want to do to the car, even before I get it. Its ok though, becasue I still want a 240z later in life.

Yes, the R200 bolts up, and its much stronger. If it needs a rebuild, I will probably lock up the diff, becasue I think I want to build a clean drift car, and that rear will take the abuse.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.