Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I sell my 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
purple
deleted
Root_Werks
Your best bet is to post your car in the classifieds section of the site here. Make sure you have lots and lots of pictures. Keep the description honest, simple and the pricing to match the car.

It sounds sort of like a project car.

Pictures, don't even bother posting unless you have pictures. wink.gif
purple
I have lots of pictures, just not on this computer. I will post them when i'm near them smile.gif
Todd Enlund
List it wherever it's free first. Here, Craigslist...

I can't help you with a price though... you probably have a better idea what it's worth since it's your car. You know what you paid, you know what you put into it. You probably won't get back all of what you put into it, though...
VaccaRabite
Post it here and on 914Club. Post it on CL. Post it on Ebay.

It will sell.

Zach
Rusty
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 25 2008, 05:37 PM) *

Your best bet is to post your car in the classifieds section of the site here. Make sure you have lots and lots of pictures. Keep the description honest, simple and the pricing to match the car.

agree.gif

Your best bet is to post it here. Like eBay or Craiglist, you'll get some tire-kickers... but you're likely to find someone *here* that will take good care of your baby.

Sorry to hear you have to let it go... but there might be a 914 in your future. It's happened to me before. smile.gif

best,
Rusty
purple
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jun 25 2008, 06:44 PM) *

QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 25 2008, 05:37 PM) *

agree.gif

Your best bet is to post it here. Like eBay or Craiglist, you'll get some tire-kickers... but you're likely to find someone *here* that will take good care of your baby.

Sorry to hear you have to let it go... but there might be a 914 in your future. It's happened to me before. smile.gif

best,
Rusty

very doubtful. the experience I've had with working on older cars in general has turned me off to owning them anymore. I got mine for $3500 cash and I'm about $2000 into it, at least. I'd like to see at least $4500 out of it, $5000 would be perfect. I refuse to buy another car like this, ever.
turboman808
QUOTE(purple @ Jun 25 2008, 03:48 PM) *

I refuse to buy another car like this, ever.

In my case its better to let others do the work. I am not gonna do nearly as good of job as tangerine racing will do. I can also take that time I would have spent working on my car and do other things. In my case I film on the weekends and pick up extra editing work. In the end I have many happy clients, I hope Chris is having fun with my car build and I will have a nice car and more job satisfaction.

If I would try to do the work myself I would just be frustrated and give up.

It's all about where you think your time is best spent. Mine is not gonna be under a car.

But I wouldn't knock owning a classic car. Even my solstice which I really enjoy will never bring a smile to my face like driving my 914.
rjames
I got mine for $3500 cash and I'm about $2000 into it, at least. I'd like to see at least $4500 out of it, $5000 would be perfect.

IMHO $5k usually nets a good running car with a decent chasis and some minor issues.
From your description it looks like you've got some nice parts installed which will help.
You also eluded to a bad hell hole repair by the PO. A big factor in how much someone will be willing to pay will be what kind of rust issues it has.
ericread
Post it in all the boards, but really show it well on eBay. If you want the best price, you need to get European interest. Don't lie, but certainly couch it in the best terms you can, and show fair and ficavorable picture.

Eric Read

stateofidleness
i say part it out..
and sell me the eurorace smile.gif
Root_Werks
[

Just a quick FYI - I wouldn't make comments like this one ever about anything your trying to sell. Even here in general discussion. People remember will remember it, potential buyers etc.

Keep it positive and light, be flexible on your price. If you're looking to get out of something like older project cars, nobody needs to know or here it. The buyer most likely doesn't give a crap about your life, just the car he/she might be buying from you. So keep up a smiley face and talk about the car. smile.gif
purple
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 26 2008, 09:14 AM) *

[

Just a quick FYI - I wouldn't make comments like this one ever about anything your trying to sell. Even here in general discussion. People remember will remember it, potential buyers etc.

Keep it positive and light, be flexible on your price. If you're looking to get out of something like older project cars, nobody needs to know or here it. The buyer most likely doesn't give a crap about your life, just the car he/she might be buying from you. So keep up a smiley face and talk about the car. smile.gif

It's really not a bad thing against the car. my boss said that it drives great and looks great. I just am used to more 'modern' cars that give me a whole ton more performance without the 'old car' hassles. Thinking that old cars arent a hassle in any way is being unrealistic. I tried it, I put a lot of money, time and effort in and found it wasnt for me.

The hell hole is fixed very well and the car is 99.9% rust free. The only issue is that the p.o. or the ppo or whoever, took the battery tray and never put it back. there is also a lip under the car that holds the right side air flap thingy, that lip is gone on that side. It's not the prettiest of repairs, but at least there isnt rust.
purple
rear
purple
interior, pre-center console gauges
purple
dash
purple
seats
purple
front-right
purple
hood. not drilled, glued
purple
double post
purple
new pedals/board all new cables too
Rusty
This seems like it's quickly becoming a classified ad...

If you want to discuss strategies to sell a 914, you're welcome to do that in this forum.

If you're selling the car, please post in the classifieds.
purple
Rusty, if you read the whole thread, they did ask for pictures. I know the distinction between the two.
Rusty
I understand.... smile.gif
purple
The post suggesting that I have someone else do the work is quite intriguing. I wonder if this is what I need to keep my interest alive in this car. I know a guy that will do right by me and will not gouge for the work. he will make sure that my car leaves his place in a nice, driveable condition.

I know it seems like I'm vacillating on selling, and I am. It's a really cool car, and looking at these pics again makes me appreciate it more. it would be nice if it was in really good tune and made some good power. I think I'd come around to liking it better.

You see, I have never had this car in a state of tune that I would call 'sporty'. it has GOBS of torque, but it seems to run out of steam at the top end, where I'd really like it to start screaming, like my old miata did. it would just be nice if it had more grip and more power. I think some new tires would benefit it for sure, because just giving it a little (a teeny little) through a turn is cause for immediate sideways-ness. While this can be fun, it's a little scary if you arent expecting it.

I'd like this car to be a more 'sporty' driver. I think I need a professional to set it up for me. At least to tune the carbs and align it. the rear end is so slide happy I just know something is wrong... hence the bacon tires biggrin.gif
Spoke
Purple,

Sorry to hear you're selling your 914 but I understand. A 914 not in superb condition needs lots of work. Either you do it yourself or pay someone. For about the first 4 months, I wondered what the hell did I get myself into as my 914 needed 4 shocks, rebuild carb, solve intake leaks, clogged fuel lines, rusty gas tank, new wheel bearings, no heat.

As far as setting the price, it's up to you. If you want to sell for a certain price, then post it as such. You can always back it down if you get no buyers. Don't worry what others think it is worth because they will value it on what they will pay. Post it locally in your paper, here, 914club, Pelican, craigslist, and ebay.

Somewhere out there is someone who will pay more (like I did on my first 914) than what us experts say it's worth.

You have a nice car. If you haven't already, clean it up, wax, buff, grease the tires, clean and armorall the interior, clean inside the engine compartment, etc.

Good luck on the sale.

Spoke
purple
hehe, good point spoke. Cleaning up the exterior is a really good way to increase the value of a car.

I had a '89 camry, my first car. it was pretty dirty (apartment living, no hose) and I was looking at TDI Jetta,golf, or beetles. I was offered $500 for the car ($1500 is the minimum price of a running car in texas with cold blowing AC, which mine was. R12 freon kicked ass and made the car like a meat locker)

I walked away, mainly because the VW's all had electrical problems straight from the factory. In hindsight, it's a good thing I held onto that car for another 5 years, since those VW's tended to eat up turbos, at least in my group of friends.
Anyway, i shopped another VW dealer, Rod East, and had just cleaned my car and they offered $800! Hey, $300 bucks added value from a $20 car wash!

I think I will run the car by Rennsport in Sealy, TX and ask him to make it 'nice'

it will likely cost me some money, but in the end, I would like a project car, just not one that has fundamental problems that are beyond my ability to fix.
purple
this is the shop I'd be taking it to

sorry for cross linking to the bird board. I'll remove the link if that's not allowed.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=396337

xperu
Purple, what kind of work does this shop do body/engine, I'm always interested in someone in the Houston area. Mike
purple
AFAIK Mike does everything. he has a few complete restos in his shop he's doing for sure and has a few 914's there. he has an engine-less 914 GT clone there too. My boss takes his 993 there for all kinds of work and never leaves unsatisfied.

Michael Callas (Rennsport Works)

6031 Highway 36, Sealy, TX 77474-5947

Phone: (979) 885-7304

Also Does Business As:Rennsport Works

SIC:General Automotive Repair Shops

Line of Business:General Auto Repair
rhodyguy
at what top end rpm does it "run out of steam"?
ericread
Purp;

Everything I've read about your car seems to point you are really burnt out on this car. There will be other project cars in the future (Boxster, Miata, RX's). Time to get out, pay down your bills and get married beerchug.gif

I wish you the best, and I hope you get a really premium price.

BTW: I see now 90% of the problems you have been having. I believe it's probably related to that damn red steering wheel. laugh.gif

Eric
kerensky
I'd have them take a quick peek at the suspension, too. You said it gets sideways when you give it gas in a corner? In my experience it's really hard to get a 914 to break loose like that unless something is amiss, like a disconnected sway bar or something.
xperu
QUOTE(purple @ Jun 26 2008, 11:52 AM) *

AFAIK Mike does everything. he has a few complete restos in his shop he's doing for sure and has a few 914's there. he has an engine-less 914 GT clone there too. My boss takes his 993 there for all kinds of work and never leaves unsatisfied.

Michael Callas (Rennsport Works)

6031 Highway 36, Sealy, TX 77474-5947

Phone: (979) 885-7304

Also Does Business As:Rennsport Works

SIC:General Automotive Repair Shops

Line of Business:General Auto Repair

Hey thanks Purple, I will take a drive up there and check him out, I work at I-610 and bissonett in Bellaire. Where I live "League City", there is really no place to take my car other then a dealership. P.S. I don't mind sharing a jack stand with you if you need some help with your car; I hope you keep the 914............................. Mike
purple
QUOTE(kerensky @ Jun 26 2008, 12:06 PM) *

I'd have them take a quick peek at the suspension, too. You said it gets sideways when you give it gas in a corner? In my experience it's really hard to get a 914 to break loose like that unless something is amiss, like a disconnected sway bar or something.

I took the rear swaybar off, and it actually improved the handling in corners! It was WAY tail-happy with it on there.
dbgriffith75
[Maybe someone already mentioned this, but there's a lot of reading here and I'm not in the mood. biggrin.gif]

If you're worried about ebay taking a chunk of your profits, don't....

That's what I thought they'd do too, so I emailed 'em about it, and they don't take anything from your profits. All they charge you is for the listing, pics, and transactions fees. I sold an '87 Monte Carlo on ebay for $850 a while back and the grand total came to like $95 for the listing & transaction [selling] fee of the car. So other than that, nothing came out of my profits.
Cevan
Might I suggest having someone set the timing, sort out the carbs, bleed the brakes and fix the gas leak. Then, if you still want to sell it, a prospective buyer could at least drive it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.