Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Auto Atlanta Fuel Rail Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jgara962
Has anyone tried the fuel rail kit Auto Atlanta has in thier catalog? The description about it delivering more fuel than the original makes sense, I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with it? Good? Bad? Worth the $190?

ericread
IMHO, bs.gif This applies for any of the fuel resevoir rail systems.

If you are using FI, and you have a stock 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0L engine, then your fuel is being delivered to the injectors at about ~38PSI. If the fuel pressure is being held steady by the fuel pump, you cannot starve your engine of fuel. If you are finding that your fuel pressure is wavering, then you need to troubleshoot the fuel pump and pressure system.

Holding a resevoir of fuel at pressure cannot hurt your fuel delivery system, but it certainly doesn't do anything to assist your system. It just puts more fuel at pressure. For $190, I would want to see a marked improvement in my system, not just more fuel being put under pressure.

Quite frankly, any system that can use more fuel than the fuel pump can reliable provide is in trouble from the start, and a fuel resevoir rail system is not the fix.

Just my $.02.

Eric Read
brant
Nicely stated Eric....

a stock system should not benefit from this...
theoretically a custom system could?
ooops.. I'm on the bad list now.

brant
brer
I think they would look great on the right engine.
Not a stock one though IMO.
ericread
BTW: I am not ranting on the AA rail kit exclusively, my comments go for any of the available kits.

As for a custom system benefiting, it would only benefit where fuel starvation from the existing fuel delivery system is engineered into the engine - sounds like pretty damn poor engineering to me.

However, if you think it looks cool - then why not? Just don't expect any performance increase.

Eric
McMark
The only bonus there is the fuel gauge. If your car is running nicely, you're not running out of fuel. If you're running out of fuel, you need a bigger pump. This part is not the solution to any problem.

And if we were just talking about engine 'dress-up', I think that thing looks kludgy. Brass fittings are ugly all of the time, and the red anodized brick is uglier than any generic fuel rail off Summit, most of which feature a D-shape and grooves cut in them for a nice 'texture'.

But that's just me.
URY914
Only useful as bling in my book.
rhodyguy
are your stock fuel rails leaking? huh.gif apply that $190+s/h towards new suspention items or a good set of ss heat exchangers.
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jun 25 2008, 09:40 PM) *

Has anyone tried the fuel rail kit Auto Atlanta has in thier catalog? The description about it delivering more fuel than the original makes sense, I'm just wondering if anyone has experience with it? Good? Bad? Worth the $190?

Mike Buxbaum designed these and sells them so we just put them in the catalog for sport. I would NEVER install them on my car in a million years, but since the 944s have a larger rail that held more fuel Mike thought that it would be beneficial for the 914 pooling more fuel helping the vapor lock and for the racers have more fuel available at the higher rpms.
For a stock 914 the only benefit would be the dress up and the gauge.
Bottom line is that the kids who work for me (any of them under the age of 50) thought that putting some nifty 914 products in the catalog would be beneficial to those who are more open minded than I am about 914 modification!!!!!
I of course will continue to tote the line (so to speak) so please do not ask me to recommend the fuel rail kit (although we have sold 13 kits in the last month and a half!)
Cap'n Krusty
I challenge first the "38PSI" statement earlier in the discussion. It's 28-30PSI. 38 will render the car almost undrivable. Then there's the Dr.s statements: I challenge "helping the vapor lock", and "more fuel available". Both are unproven conjecture. In fact, the existence of vapor lock in 914s is questionable.

And just to show I'm still "His Krustiness"(and loving every minute of it!), Dr., it's "toe the line", not "tote the line".

The Cap'n
URY914
Gotta love the Cap't.
URY914
Actually it is "One Toke Over the Line", by Brewer & Shipley released in 1970.
URY914
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3ecDYxOkg
ConeDodger
Now a system that cools the fuel.... That WOULD be beneficial. Whatever happened to the old KoolKan deal?

As for that system, it looks like bling to me and if you want bling just hang some earrings on the stock system.
jgara962
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 26 2008, 08:08 AM) *

Mike Buxbaum designed these and sells them so we just put them in the catalog for sport. I would NEVER install them on my car in a million years, but since the 944s have a larger rail that held more fuel Mike thought that it would be beneficial for the 914 pooling more fuel helping the vapor lock and for the racers have more fuel available at the higher rpms.
Bottom line is that the kids who work for me (any of them under the age of 50) thought that putting some nifty 914 products in the catalog would be beneficial to those who are more open minded than I am about 914 modification!!!!!
I of course will continue to tote the line (so to speak) so please do not ask me to recommend the fuel rail kit (although we have sold 13 kits in the last month and a half!)

Nothing is wrong with my FI, I was just curious if anyone had tried them. The description in the catalog makes them sound like an easy bolt on upgrade that will increase performance.

That makes me wonder why are they advertised that way if the owner of Auto Atlanta wouldn't put them on his car? It sounds like someone who purchased these would be dissapointed in the results.
ericread
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ Jun 26 2008, 08:08 AM) *

Well done George! smilie_pokal.gif

Let's not forget that George is in business to sell parts. Some parts are really critical for the proper running of our vehicles. Some parts are sold because there is a demand by the buying public. As we have all said, the resevoir fuel rail won't hurt 914 performance, and to many, it probably looks really cool.

I respect George for speaking up here, and at least he didn't cut the picture of the fuel rails out of an Automotion catalog av-943.gif (reference to George's interview on Jake Raby's radio show).

Eric Read
Jake Raby
I could see this being effective if the injectors being used were 42 lb/hr on a 350 HP Turbo engine... BUT then you wouldn't be using stock runners or injector positions.

A stock injector can't move as much fuel as the stock rails can.

My only gripe with the stock rails is the fact that can chaff against the engine sheetmetal and rub holes into them that can leak fuel and burn the car to the ground... These units would resist that, but they are kinda clunky and I'd be afraid that the added mass of the unit would be hard on the rubber injector hoses since there isn't any support of the fuel rail.

George, send me a pair and I'll share the data here. I have an engine coming up using stock FI and another after it using a stock plenum and runner with a 30 pound injector.

The stock unit is lighter and lighter is always faster. :-)
Jake Raby
FWIW- I prefer 38 PSI as well. The added fuel atomization helps mixture quality and efficiency and usually results in better MPG and cooler running. I typically only do the mod to L jet engines so the AFM can be adjusted to balance the AFR. I have found engines to start easier and idle better with elevated fuel pressure.

But, what the hell do I know?
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 26 2008, 12:35 PM) *

But, what the hell do I know?

Just boggles the mind don't it............ biggrin.gif
ericread
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jun 26 2008, 10:29 AM) *

I could see this being effective if the injectors being used were 42 lb/hr on a 350 HP Turbo engine... BUT then you wouldn't be using stock runners or injector positions.

A stock injector can't move as much fuel as the stock rails can.

My only gripe with the stock rails is the fact that can chaff against the engine sheetmetal and rub holes into them that can leak fuel and burn the car to the ground... These units would resist that, but they are kinda clunky and I'd be afraid that the added mass of the unit would be hard on the rubber injector hoses since there isn't any support of the fuel rail.

George, send me a pair and I'll share the data here. I have an engine coming up using stock FI and another after it using a stock plenum and runner with a 30 pound injector.

The stock unit is lighter and lighter is always faster. :-)

Jake; I don't understand. If there was a situation where the fuel pump couldn't proivde enough fuel to the injectors, the fuel pressure will drop no matter how much fuel you ahve in the rail resevoir. How would this be acceptable? The lower pressure would certainly degrade performance.

What am I missing???

Eric
URY914

... lighter is always faster. :-)

happy11.gif
Smitty911
QUOTE(URY914 @ Jun 26 2008, 11:03 AM) *

... lighter is always faster. :-)

happy11.gif

BIC or a Zippo?????

Smitty
Cevan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 26 2008, 12:03 PM) *

I challenge first the "38PSI" statement earlier in the discussion. It's 28-30PSI. 38 will render the car almost undrivable. Then there's the Dr.s statements: I challenge "helping the vapor lock", and "more fuel available". Both are unproven conjecture. In fact, the existence of vapor lock in 914s is questionable.

And just to show I'm still "His Krustiness"(and loving every minute of it!), Dr., it's "toe the line", not "tote the line".

The Cap'n

According to my Haynes manual (page 51), on L-Jet cars, fuel pressure should be 35 psi, not 29.
orange914
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 25 2008, 10:53 PM) *

IMHO, bs.gif This applies for any of the fuel resevoir rail systems.

If you are using FI, and you have a stock 1.7, 1.8 or 2.0L engine, then your fuel is being delivered to the injectors at about ~38PSI.
Eric Read

isn't it 29 psi? 2bar

oops i shoulda' read ahead

mike
Demick
QUOTE(ericread @ Jun 26 2008, 10:59 AM) *

Jake; I don't understand. If there was a situation where the fuel pump couldn't proivde enough fuel to the injectors, the fuel pressure will drop no matter how much fuel you ahve in the rail resevoir. How would this be acceptable? The lower pressure would certainly degrade performance.

What am I missing???

Eric

You're not missing anything. Doesn't matter how much reservoir you have. Only matters how much pressure/flow the pump can provide through the system. Adding extra reservoir capacity does nothing

Demick
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.