Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My Newest Addition - Flared '74
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Kansas 914
I saw this car on eBay a few weeks ago. It was sold with a buy it now when I saw it - but since the car was only 200 miles away I contacted the seller and told him if the deal fell through I would come see it and pay cash. Well the buyer was a pissed off ex-girlfriend getting back at her recent ex-boyfriend - or so the story goes. Anyway - no deal - so I grabbed it. The guy I bought it from collects cars and ran out of room (has a very nice 911 but that is the only other P-car he had).

The car is very nice - I bought and drove it the 200 miles back home. It ran strong - I got it to 84MPH (it was still climbing) when I thought 200 miles from home is not the place to test this thing.

The motor is a pretty fresh 1.8L with Webers and a #91 Grind Web-Cam.

It has an interesting color treatment - a Blacked Out on Red theme. All the chrome was painted black and has a black rubber windshield trim and black wheels.

The flares are fiberglass and well done. I need to put new rockers and valances to match up to the flares - but that is about it. It has 245/60 on the rear and 215/60 up front.

Also - those Amber turn signals have to go - I will order clear Italian lenses for it. Wasn't there some "smoked" lenses around some time ago?

Oh yeah - no rust - zero - nada - none. The car was stripped in '98 when the flairs were put on and hell-hole was fixed then.

Here are a few pictures:
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
drgchapman
84 mpg? bs.gif

Nice looking car. It needs a /6 to power those flares......
Kansas 914
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Jun 26 2008, 08:54 AM) *

84 mpg? bs.gif

Nice looking car. It needs a /6 to power those flares......

84 MPH not 84 MPG....

Thanks!
PanelBilly
So, What did you have to pay for this toy? After getting it home are you still happy with the cost.

How soon before you start taking it apart and begin the process of making it into the car you really wanted?
jmill
Check out the GT flare group buy thread. You might get in on some rockers. I'm not sure if they'll match up perfect. They are steel and can be tweaked to fit fairly easy.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jun 26 2008, 09:00 AM) *

So, What did you have to pay for this toy? After getting it home are you still happy with the cost.

How soon before you start taking it apart and begin the process of making it into the car you really wanted?

Well I paid too much. But a month ago my wife asked me - "When can we take the 914 out for a weekend breakfast drive?"

I have been working on the 1972 for 2 years and it is months from being done. So I bought her one - it is her car not mine. I have 4 cars and a 3 car garage - so my wife said - let's buy a lift for the 914's. So I am shopping for storage lifts right now. I have 12 foot celings in my garage.

I like the car more and more everyday. It is a bit different looking - but a nice contrast to my original looking (not even a hood crest emblem) 1972. It is a wild thing versus mild thing.

So I paid $7000.
AZ914
Looks like a clean car! Congrats!
Root_Werks
I don't think $7k was out of line. It looks like a very nice 914. Now you have something that you can actually go out and drive! Good on you for that! Congrats, the car looks great!

Now go throw some gas in it and take the top off. biggrin.gif driving.gif
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Root_Werks @ Jun 26 2008, 10:04 AM) *

I don't think $7k was out of line. It looks like a very nice 914. Now you have something that you can actually go out and drive! Good on you for that! Congrats, the car looks great!

Now go throw some gas in it and take the top off. biggrin.gif driving.gif

Thanks - I just got back from a drive to the hardware store to have keys made (on my good blanks). I had forgotten how much fun these cars are to drive.

The interior is near flawless - new rubber seals just about everywhere.

But you are right - it isn't on jackstands today.

So Saturday morning we are off early for our favorite breakfast spot - it's a one hour drive to a 100 year old hotel where vintage aircraft fly in for food and taxi down Main Street.

Cheers!
messix
$7k for no rust good seals and fresh engine? hell of a deal to me! and i think the car looks great. and there is still room the personalize more to your wifes taste too. LE dam, five lug conv. with polish cookies or boxster wheel.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(messix @ Jun 26 2008, 01:09 PM) *

$7k for no rust good seals and fresh engine? hell of a deal to me! and i think the car looks great. and there is still room the personalize more to your wifes taste too.

The car is kind of a 'tweener 'teener.......... Certainly not original but not quite finished body wise.

It could get finished with 916 looking painted front/rear bumpers (which is a look she likes) plus I could get those perfect bumper tops for my '72...

Click to view attachment

But for this summer we are just going to drive it! driving.gif
messix
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ Jun 26 2008, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE(messix @ Jun 26 2008, 01:09 PM) *

$7k for no rust good seals and fresh engine? hell of a deal to me! and i think the car looks great. and there is still room the personalize more to your wifes taste too.

The car is kind of a 'tweener 'teener.......... Certainly not original but not quite finished body wise.

It could get finished with 916 looking painted front/rear bumpers (which is a look she likes) plus I could get those perfect bumper tops for my '72...

Click to view attachment

But for this summer we are just going to drive it! driving.gif

there ya go...... make it so.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.