Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tan interior - pic request
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kerensky
Hey all,

In starting to think about my long-slumbering 'teener and the work I'll need to do, I realize that at the very least my seats will need to be redone. Last time I got in the car to find something the vinyl split like a Wal-Mart shopping bag. sad.gif The original back pad, door cards and dash are in great shape, but given that the plasticizers in the vinyl have had 35 years to escape, I'm betting that after a few weeks of exposure to the outside world they might follow the seats.

So. I'm considering a complete re-do. My stepdad does custom upholstery, so I think I can get it done well, on my CSOB budget. I'm considering a switch to tan leather, since black cars with buff interiors have always been a favorite of mine. I've seen some gallery pics from those of you who have the tan interior, but haven't seen the dash area, so I'd like some pics of dashboards with the tan treatment. Did they trim the pads and cluster in tan and leave the black basketweave material in the center, or was there tan basketweave available?

Any pics or advice appreciated. Y'all rock. cheer.gif pray.gif
maxwelj
At least on my '70, the dash was all black, as were the grab handles on the door and the map bin cover.
markb
To my knowledge, all dash faces on the 4'swere black from the factory. I re-did mine in tan. I'd still like to find tan basketweave to do them "right".

Click to view attachment
kerensky
QUOTE(markb @ Jun 26 2008, 11:27 AM) *

To my knowledge, all dash faces on the 4'swere black from the factory. I re-did mine in tan. I'd still like to find tan basketweave to do them "right".
Great pic, Mark, thanks. I think I'd seen this pic somewhere and had it rattling around in what passes for my brain. Has anyone tried the reverse of this scheme, i.e., tan dashpads and cluster, with the original black basketweave dash? I'd even settle for a decent photoshop...
Gint
All of the factory dashes were black regardless of the interior color. You've seen pictures of tan dashes I'm sure. There are some right here on this site. Jim Hoyland has one. So does Lee. Mountain914. Beautifully stitched tan leather.

IPB Image

r_towle
Check a company called Auto's International. Another called World Upholstrey.
Both carry complete interior kits that your father could sew up for you, but at least its all cut and ready.
They can also provide leather, again cut to be ready for a sewing machine.

They will both send you samples so you can see the material before you decide which one to buy.
Auto's International is pretty much the only place people goto for 356 interiors...they have a stellar reputation.
World Upholstrey is a supplier, they do not do installs.

Rich
anderssj
I re-did the dash in late 1974 after two summers at Luke AFB AZ melted the glue behind the original black material. The car has been a slowly unfolding project ever since . . . .

Hope this helps.

Steve A-
kerensky
Awesome, great variations and good advice. Thanks, all. My mind, such as it is, now has lots more to chew on for awhile. wink.gif
championgt1
This is the interior of my stock 74 2.0. The sheepskins are long gone.

Click to view attachment
jim_hoyland
Camel... The knee pad has be re-installed....
jim_hoyland
Mike from Texas. Saw this beautiful tan dash at WCR 2007 in New Mexico.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.