Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What is this vibration?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sawtooth
First wanted to say you guys are awesome. Got my first 914 a couple weeks ago and this forum has help me resolve many issues already just by searching and reading.

I have a '73 2.0 in good condition. Has been sitting for a year and I'm slowly getting the bugs worked out, using as a daily driver.
Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment

Hoping to get some help on a vibration issue I haven't been able to figure out.

When starting out in 1st, no problem. But when I shift up, if I don't let the rpm's wind up a bit I get a shutter/vibration until the r's come up. Ok this would be normal if you were really shifting early causing it to lug too much, but I'm seeing this when I shift around 2k. If I wind it up to 3k+ then it doesn't happen.

Is the flywheel out of balance, clutch need adjusting, mounts? The PO says it has a new clutch, but the flywheel wasn't right and so it had to have more work done. So I'm thinking they still didn't get it right and this is a flywheel balance problem?
Thanks.

yeahmag
Does it feel like an imbalance or hesitation? Did you check all of your engine and trans mounts?
kerensky
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jun 26 2008, 03:22 PM) *

First wanted to say you guys are awesome. Got my first 914 a couple weeks ago and this forum has help me resolve many issues already just by searching and reading.
Woot! Welcome to the fraternity (a statement in no way intended to imply any gender-bias whatsoever)

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jun 26 2008, 03:22 PM) *
When starting out in 1st, no problem. But when I shift up, if I don't let the rpm's wind up a bit I get a shutter/vibration until the r's come up. Ok this would be normal if you were really shifting early causing it to lug too much, but I'm seeing this when I shift around 2k. If I wind it up to 3k+ then it doesn't happen.
You're shifting too early - at 2000 RPM you *are* lugging the engine. If you're *shifting* at 2000, then you're dropping it down to what, about 1200 in third gear? blink.gif This is a sports car, not a diesel Jetta. Heck, the engine is barely into the powerband at 3K. Start shifting at 3500 if you're taking it easy, and if you're enjoying driving don't shift until you pass 5K. Your engine will be happier, and you will be too. smile.gif Oh, but take it easy when Johnny Law is around - those 6K shifts tend to get their attention. wink.gif
sawtooth
QUOTE(yeahmag @ Jun 26 2008, 05:31 PM) *

Does it feel like an imbalance or hesitation? Did you check all of your engine and trans mounts?

I guess it could be more of a hesitation, it's like shifting up one gear too high, feels rough until the rpm's come up. I guess it could be an engine problem as well, haven't done any tuning yet. I haven't checked mounts yet, will do it this weekend.
sawtooth
You're shifting too early - at 2000 RPM you *are* lugging the engine. If you're *shifting* at 2000, then you're dropping it down to what, about 1200 in third gear? blink.gif This is a sports car, not a diesel Jetta.

Funny, my other car is a Jetta TDI, so that's gotta be the problem biggrin.gif
kerensky
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jun 26 2008, 03:45 PM) *
Oh laf, that's hilarious. smile.gif A co-worker here has one and gives me a ride home when my DD is in the shop. First time I rode with him I couldn't get over him shifting at 2500 RPM. I was thinking, "Man, I'd blow this thing up in a week!"
sawtooth
QUOTE(kerensky @ Jun 26 2008, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jun 26 2008, 03:45 PM) *
Oh laf, that's hilarious. smile.gif A co-worker here has one and gives me a ride home when my DD is in the shop. First time I rode with him I couldn't get over him shifting at 2500 RPM. I was thinking, "Man, I'd blow this thing up in a week!"

Ok, I'll pay more attention to when I'm shifting. If it really does need to keep that wound up to stay smooth than no problem. I just wanted make sure there wasn't something wrong in the flywheel/clutch area. Thanks.
rjames
yes, 2k rpm is too early to shift, but you might also want to check all things fuel related, like your injectors (assuming you are not running carbs), fuel filter, fuel pump, etc.

Also, you should probably change your fuel lines out if the car has been sitting for awhile.

beer.gif
sawtooth
Ok, so just went out and drove again after talking about it here. I think its a combination of problems. The engine is not running clean at lower rpms so that is part of it. The other part is that I usually am shifting (after paying attention) at 3000 - 3500. The real problem is when I'm in 3rd and traffic slows down I have a really hard time downshifting back into 2nd. So I try to run in 3rd at about 2k which starts lugging and the vibration starts. So I need to get the engine and tranny issues resolved, and I'm sure mounts are involved as well.
Thanks guys.
r_towle
First things first.
welcome.png

Now
Before you go to far start with the basics.
Change your rubber fuel lines. These cars burn to the ground.
Do it so you know it has been done.

Change your fuel filter.
Change your oil.
New oil filter.
New air filter.
New plugs.
New wires
New cap
New rotor
New points.

Set the valves to spec
Set the dwell after you set the valves
Set the timing last.

Change or check every single vacuum line...this is cheap to change them to all new rubber and eliminates all sorts of odd running issues...just do it.

Change the gear oil in your tranny...it has probably never been done and may even be low...get GL5 only (per our resident porsche mechanic) and DO NOT use synthetic.

You can change all the shifter bushings and reset your shifter, but get used to it..it will never shift like a rabbit/golf.

Rich
Gint
agree.gif Sounds like a good place to start. ...and... welcome.png
dw914er
ditto on the 3k shifting

my mom told me that a few years ago when i got my car, and she would know (being the only previous owner)

welcome!
euro911
agree.gif with the basic maintenance and methods listed above. If it were a flywheel/balance problem, the vibration would get worse at higher RPMs.

There is a learning curve and an art to shifting the 901 tranny ... you'll get it figured out with some additional practice.

The only additional item I would recommend (not related to acceleration) ... if you haven't done so yet, thoroughly check your braking system and replace any components as needed.

popcorn[1].gif
sawtooth
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 26 2008, 08:55 PM) *

Now
Before you go to far start with the basics.

Thanks Rich, i needed that reminder. Still have some basics to get done. As I was checking over engine wiring last night I found that one of my injector wires was disconnected. I feel pretty stupid now complaining about the "vibration"... i was only running on 3! That explains a little shaking at lower rpm headbang.gif Should have known, but I didn't have anything to compare it to. Driving it this morning was a whole new experience, extremely smooth, much more power as would be expected, and no shaking. Ok, back to the basics still a lot to do.
r_towle
What year is the FI system?
The reason I ask is that there are two connectors at the injector.

The older one is two pronged but has a rubber boot that actually holds the plug into the injector.
I fought for years with these...new rubbers, zip ties...other creative ideas...nothing was up to my needs or specs.

I took some time and swapped in the clip on L-jet injector connectors.
These are similar to more modern electrical clip connectors (its rectangular and has a wire around the outside that locks in place)

My plugs have not fallen off since...and I knew when it was getting loose, and knew when it was off before...
Look up Jeff Bowlsby, he makes new wiring harness's, but he also sells the little connectors and rubber boots.

Now, TUNE UP the car.
Rich
sawtooth
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 27 2008, 09:47 AM) *

What year is the FI system?
The reason I ask is that there are two connectors at the injector.

The older one is two pronged but has a rubber boot that actually holds the plug into the injector.
I fought for years with these...new rubbers, zip ties...other creative ideas...nothing was up to my needs or specs.

I took some time and swapped in the clip on L-jet injector connectors.
These are similar to more modern electrical clip connectors (its rectangular and has a wire around the outside that locks in place)

My plugs have not fallen off since...and I knew when it was getting loose, and knew when it was off before...
Look up Jeff Bowlsby, he makes new wiring harness's, but he also sells the little connectors and rubber boots.

Now, TUNE UP the car.
Rich

1973 d-jet. It has 1 plug with 2 pins and a boot. Didn't want to stay on like you said. I slightly crimped the connectors in the plug and it went on nice and snug. Thanks I will look into switching over to the L-jet connectors for a more permanent fix.
kerensky
QUOTE(sawtooth @ Jun 27 2008, 08:01 AM) *
I will look into switching over to the L-jet connectors for a more permanent fix.
As an aside, I *HATE* those clip-on Bosch connectors. Seems like every time I have to mess with one (which is often when your daily is a late 80's vintage VW) the procedure is:
1. Remove clip from connector.
2. Get pliers to remove clip from connector. *
3. Get flashlight to find where clip flew off to. **
4. Get long needlenose pliers to reach the tiny hole clip flew off into. **
5. Search for long magnetic tool to reach where clip slid when you couldn't reach with needlenose. ****
6. Finally get clip. Grab pliers again to straighten clip into some semblance of former shape.
7. Unplug connector. Carefully insert clip into connector so it doesn't get lost.
8. Try to remember what it was I needed to unplug connector for 30 minutes ago. *
9. Make sure clip is partially inserted into connector before reattaching.
10. Look for spot clip ended up when it fell off the connector. Return to step 3. *****
11. Repeat step 10. ********
12. Finally get connector engaged and clip snapped into place. Test that everything is well-connected by tugging gently on connector.
13. Remove clip from the connector that popped off in your hand. Return to step 9. *****
14. Finally get connector back together, realize it's now dark outside and wife is steaming mad. Close hood and go inside.

* = Asterisks indicate required level of profanity for this step. Single asterisks indicate milder language. More than two indicates strings of words, generally including f-bombs. Take note also that steps 4 and 5 often require medical attention.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.