Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.8 to 2056 wiring help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mattp
I swapped the 1.8 in my 75 for a 2056 with carbs, I cant seem to figure out the wiring?

I have the 12 pin harness connected to starter and back up lights, 1/2 the dual relay, I have a brown wire, a green and brown wire and three black (2 tied together) wires. I also have white wire coming out of the harness at the 12 pin cinnector with a tab (female) connector, where does that go?
The blacks go to the coil, does it matter what side?
where do the others go?
I also have the battery to the starter cable, ground is grounded, there is also a red wire tied into my positive cable.

anyone ever write a list of how to convert to carbs?

thanks, Matt
r_towle
lets see if I can remember this.
You are dealing with two wiring harness's here.
the main harness has the red wire that goes to the positive terminal on the battery...that is the main power for the ignition and fuse panel.

The engine bay wiring basically plugs in to the motor and FI system.
You will need to go to the classics forum to find the thread that shows how to use the fuel pump wiring while running carbs.

The power lead and the tach lead go to the positive side of the coil.
The negative side of the coil goes to the distributor.

You need to hook up the oil pressure sender (just below the distributor)
aside from that, you seem to have the rest covered.

Rich
rhodyguy
the fi harness, ecu, and other related fi components go to the classifieds. 2 looms come out of the firewall. the appropriate large one goes to the engine compartment relay board. the other to the positive bat terminal, this contains the fuel pump leads also. the loom that connects to the starter, backup lights, etc, remains as does the one for the coil and oil pressure switch. where're you going to mount the low pressure self regulated pump? make up a little harness to adapt the existing fuel pump power wires to the new pump. andy's jumper wire trick (as mentioned, in the classic thread section) to power the pump thru the proper relay and fuse. there you go.
euro911
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 26 2008, 07:47 PM) *

lets see if I can remember this.
You are dealing with two wiring harness's here.
the main harness has the red wire that goes to the positive terminal on the battery...that is the main power for the ignition and fuse panel.

The engine bay wiring basically plugs in to the motor and FI system.
You will need to go to the classics forum to find the thread that shows how to use the fuel pump wiring while running carbs.

YOUR EXISTING F.I. FUEL PUMP'S PRESSURE (+/- 35 PSI) WILL BE TOO HIGH FOR RUNNING CARBS. YOU SHOULD SWAP IT OUT FOR A CARB TYPE PUMP, OR INSTALL A FUEL PRESSURE REGULATOR (3 ~ 5 PSI).

The power lead (RED OR BLACK/RED LEAD) and the tach lead go to the positive side of the coil.

THE TACH LEAD (BLACK/PURPLE LEAD) GOES TO THE NEGATIVE (-) SIDE OF THE COIL

The negative side of the coil ALSO goes to the distributor (THIS IS THE GREEN LEAD TO THE CONDENSER AND POINTS)

BROWN IS [ALWAYS] A GROUND WIRE AND WILL ATTACH TO A GROUNDING TAB ON THE TOP OF THE ENGINE CASE (NEARER TO THE FLYWHEEL END OF THE CASE)

You need to hook up the oil pressure sender (GREEN/RED LEAD) (just below the distributor) ... aside from that, you seem to have the rest covered.

Rich

Also, one (or both) of your carbs MAY have a short vacuum port protruding from the base. This is for connecting the vacuum advance hose from your distributor. If you plan to run the original distributor from your 1.8, make this connection. You only need to use one port, so plug the unused port (if there is one on the other carb).

Disregard (the vacuum advance hose part - BUT plug the ports on the carbs) if you're running a mechanical advance dizzy.
mattp
so the two wire looms?

One comes out of fire wall and goes to relay board and the other end to positive battery?

the second loom goes to:
relay board, starter, backup lights, ground, oil pressure and positive battery?

also have wire from battery to starter?

Matt
mattp
got it, thanks
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.