Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT - life stinks ... I'm sooo pissed, I hardly can tell ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
About 14 years ago I was one of a couple of guys who founded a little company. We did all the computer thing for doctors (medicals), including a self-made management software for their business, all hardware, training, support and so on. At the beginning I was just an ordinary hardware technician, but with the years I stepped up to the chief technician for Austria with sales and little management agendas. Not very spectaculare, but quite a nice job - always interesting and varied. No top-income, but enaugh for me and my teener-passion.
We had a good position in the market, but the goings went tougher, so we looked for a strategic partner with a bigger finacial background. This was back in 2001. This company realized that we didn't really fit in their portfolio after a couple of years, so they sold us to a big German company - where we should fit better. So far so good, this was at the end of 2007.
As it turned out, the German company is only interested in commercial numbers, all this financial things - and they don't care about anything else. Well then, our new owners found out that we are not soo profitable, so the ordered to fire some employees ... and about 1 hour ago they fired me mad.gif
perfect timing ...

additional side not: check this out

Gustl
blitZ

That sucks, especially on your birthday. I've been an independent consultant for 10 years and jump from one job to the next every year or two. One thing I have learned from the experience. The grass is always greener somewhere else. There is something better for you out there to be sure.

Oh and birthday3.gif
914Sixer
You always have to remember when one door closes and another opens. I know that is not comforting at this time but there is a bigger plan, and that we are not in charge. Have a Happy Birthday anyway!!!!!
Mrs. K
Maybe this will turn out to be the best birthday present ever.............smile.gif

When one door is closed...........God opens the window smilie_pokal.gif

Hang in there birthday boy! beerchug.gif

Here have a few more........ beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif beerchug.gif

Lisa
mrs.K.gif
plymouth37
That really sucks, I am really sorry to hear that, hang in there buddy.
Dana.
Root_Werks
It sucks it had to end like it did, but I bet you'll find something better. Hopefully sooner than later.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 27 2008, 05:28 AM) *

About 14 years ago I was one of a couple of guys who founded a little company. We did all the computer thing for doctors (medicals), including a self-made management software for their business, all hardware, training, support and so on. At the beginning I was just an ordinary hardware technician, but with the years I stepped up to the chief technician for Austria with sales and little management agendas. Not very spectaculare, but quite a nice job - always interesting and varied. No top-income, but enaugh for me and my teener-passion.
We had a good position in the market, but the goings went tougher, so we looked for a strategic partner with a bigger finacial background. This was back in 2001. This company realized that we didn't really fit in their portfolio after a couple of years, so they sold us to a big German company - where we should fit better. So far so good, this was at the end of 2007.
As it turned out, the German company is only interested in commercial numbers, all this financial things - and they don't care about anything else. Well then, our new owners found out that we are not soo profitable, so the ordered to fire some employees ... and about 1 hour ago they fired me mad.gif
perfect timing ...

Gustl

Hi Gustl,

I went through something similar - but not as radical as you. I had worked for a company for 15 years - moved up the chain - then the company sold to a BIG German company - maybe you have heard of them ---- BOSCH.

Not that it was a bad thing - but it was a different thing. It was no longer about people it was all about numbers.

I left and started my own company - I now have 15 employees and work in 13 states. It was the best thing I have ever done and I will NEVER forget the people side of my company.

Cheers!

birthday3.gif
So.Cal.914
Sorry Buddy, maybe this is an opportunity in disguise. Sounds like you know your

business, go see your competitors. smile.gif

And Again...Many Happy Returns... birthday3.gif birthday3.gif
Katmanken
Bummer!

Life likes to beat up on you sometimes but it will get better. Much better.

Take a few days to relax and get over the shock. Take a look at your skills and figure out what YOU want to do. Then go after it.

You actually have many more skills than you realize and you need to list them.

Same thing happened to me so I made an assessment of my skills and a choice. 30 years as an Engineer with 25+ patents, and now I sit in an office in a law firm writing patents. Love my choice.

I might have some documents from a job hunting training session or two that could help you figure out who you are and where you can go. PM me if interested.

Ken
PanelBilly
Start talking to your customers. Is there a way you can continue providing some of the services they need from your home. Even part time work to start. Use the product knowledge you've aquired to start your own business.

I've been in your shoes too and its difficult at best. I managed it by focusing on building a business with a buddy I trusted. Is there anyone else who you worked with that you can team up with?
BarberDave
birthday3.gif

Hay, June 26th is the day us tough guys were born!!!! I can expound on simular

situations in my life. But I have learned over the past 70 yrs. is. One door closes

he has the next one ready to open. Just be ready and open to takeing avantage

of it when it happens. Time heals all wounds. God bless Dave slap.gif

zymurgist
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Jun 27 2008, 11:13 AM) *

Sorry Buddy, maybe this is an opportunity in disguise. Sounds like you know your

business, go see your competitors. smile.gif

This. You've got the knowledge, see what kind of leverage it gives you.

Oh, and birthday3.gif

Wish you had better news for your birthday though.
TeenerTim
smilie_pokal.gif Congratulations. Now they can hire you back as a consultant and pay you twice as much. That happens here all the time. But still it does suck.
JeffBowlsby
Cheer Up Wolfgang, This will be a good thing, better opportunities are ahead...meanwhile...time for a twisty road tour of the alps... 8)
brer
birthday3.gif

Go do something fun for your Bday!
kerensky
Gee, and here I thought that American corporations had cornered the market on greed and shortsightedness. :/ Hope you find a job that's five times better.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Gustl @ Jun 27 2008, 05:28 AM) *

they fired you on your birthday? after 14 years? WTF.gif

in my experience, it's always trouble when you work for a smaller company that gets bought out by a larger company.
they rarely are interested in what you do or have done, they always want to incorporate the assets and get rid of the overhead. always ...

that sucks gustl, i hope you'll find another job soon ...
beerchug.gif Andy
Gustl
Hey guys, you rock rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif rocking nana.gif

many thanks for all your words - that helps a lot

when I wrote the post, it was just an hour after I got fired and I was really down

now it's much better - currently I'm at the kittchen and cook a nice dinner ... some friends will show up to party, so I will have a nice b-day after all

beerchug.gif Gustl
tdgray
Oooouch... good god and on your birthday. Sheesh rolleyes.gif

Keep you head up... something else better is right around the corner.
DEC
Hi Wolfgang
That's sucks really

But smilie_wirdgut.gif

Ist ein super timing dies auf deinen Geburtstag zu tun.

Alles Gute und Kopf hoch.

Wilco
ericread
Just remember, life is good. Job's suck from time to time, but life is good.

A few years ago when I had a similar situation, one of our largest customers called me to talk. His discussion went something like this:

"Eric, God put people on the earth. Some of the people God put on this earth are stupid. And as we all know, stupid people sometimes make stupid decisions. In my opinion, letting you go was a stupid decision. Just don't beat yourself up over this, know that it doesn't reflect on you as much as it reflects on them. Now go out and find a non-stupid company to work for."

Probably one of the more bizarre conversations I had, but certainly, coming from the CFO of a Fortune 500 company, it was very uplifting.

So go out Monday, and look for non-stupid clients. Goood luck, and Happy Birthday!

Eric Read
beerchug.gif

horizontally-opposed
Wolfgang,

I agree with many of the sentiments expressed above. I too work for a small company and wonder what the future holds from time to time.

Bottom line, you'll find something else, and my guess like those of others, is that it'll be better. I too think it's especially bogus they let you go on your birthday, but when that better gig comes along, it really will be a birthday present, even if it doesn't feel like one now.

And, on that note: birthday3.gif birthday3.gif birthday3.gif

Best regards,

pete
davep
birthday3.gif beer.gif

I'm so sorry to hear of your problem my good friend.
I expect that by Monday you will have a new plan. Best wishes.
gms
birthday3.gif

Had the same thing happen to me in 2002 (on my birthday), I started my own biz and haven't look back since.

Best of luck
jhadler
Gustl,

That sucks...Hang in there. As others have already said, opportunities come in many guises.

I still harbor some resentment for being laid off while I was on my Honeymoon... Yeah, getting back from vacation that day was a bit of a bummer...

But if it hadn't been for that job, and the timing of my "departure" I would not have found, and landed the job I have now.

Good opportunities sometimes take a while to be recognized for what they are.

-Josh2
sww914
Bosses suck. I was layed off at my last job a week after my wife was injured at work. She ended up in a wheelchair and I swore that I would never work for another stupid asshole as long as I live. Now I'm self employed, I'm not sure if I've kept my promise to myself or not?
PeeGreen 914
Sorry to hear about your bad day Wolfgang. I hope your birthday turns out to b a good day as it ends.
TJB/914
Wolfgang,

I am so sorry this happened to you on your birthday. As everyone here has said this happens to everyone in their career. You have skills and experience that will take you to a new level in a short time. Enjoy your birthday & think of it as a celebration to a greater tomorrow. pray.gif I know you will be ok because you are a tough person & have special skills someone needs.

My own experience: 20-years ago the company I worked for went bankrupt & I was out of a job with (2) kids starting college and a homemaker wife that didn't work. I started my own company as a Manufactures Rep. in the Power & Utility industry & never looked back. It was rough the first year & it gets better each year. I am now waiting for my son to join me when he finishes his contract with the oil industry in Dubai UAE. He will take over my company & we will work together to build the company to the next level. Life is good & I love what I do.

Tom
mel reckling
Sorry to hear that, world sucks right now and companies are scrambling to find a way to survive, some won't. Great idea, whoever said take a nice, long drive especially through the Alps.

Never hurts to live life using 'race track' logic. Turn the page, there's another race. You lost the last one, forget about it. The next one is the important one. You'll have many races to win, go win the next one.

Gint
Hang in there Wolfgang! In the end it will probably work out for the best anyway.
richardmosselman
Hi Wolfgang,sorry to hear about your bad news. With your encyclopedic automotive knowledge,there's a place for you somewhere! R
Gustl
I'm happy to announce that I had my 1st day at my new job today.
Currently it's just a limited contract till the end of the year, but it's likely that I will get an unlimited contract from the beginning of next year.
Funny that I have to work with an old friend of basic school that I haven't met within the last 25 years .

It's a similar job as before, but more specific with server operating systems, VMware and Citrix. Currently I've no experiences with these things, but I hope that I could learn it within the next months.

smilie_pokal.gif Gustl
KELTY360
That's great news. Congratulations!

Now, quit goofing off at work and go take your /6 up to the mountains for more gorgeous pics. driving.gif
carr914
Congrats Gustl, I'm still looking, but, optimistic.

T.C.
PanelBilly
New employees are the best. When I hire someone, I want them to MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Don't just go along with what everybody tells you. THINK and express yourself.

This is your time to shine.
So.Cal.914
Dude thats good news. Congrats
914Sixer
EXCELLENT NEWS!!! The universe has bigger and better things for you to do.

beerchug.gif
JeffBowlsby
Awesome! thumb3d.gif

Its a small world...I consulted on the construction of the VM Ware main headquarters buildings here in Palo Alto. The Sporto stays in the Schiecher stable.

thumb3d.gifthumb3d.gifthumb3d.gif
Root_Werks
w00t.gif Cool! Now stop surffing the 914world and get back to work. biggrin.gif
hcdmueller
Great news. Take the six out to celebrate before the weather turns cold.
davep
smilie_pokal.gif Excellent news! smilie_pokal.gif party.gif
horizontally-opposed
Great news, indeed!

Congratulations!

pete
Gustl
QUOTE(KELTY360 @ Oct 1 2008, 07:50 PM) *

Now, quit goofing off at work and go take your /6 up to the mountains for more gorgeous pics. driving.gif

sorry, no more /6 photos this year - it already hibernates ...

but the 1.8 is still ready for a ride driving.gif

bye1.gif Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Oct 1 2008, 09:37 PM) *

Its a small world...I consulted on the construction of the VM Ware main headquarters buildings here in Palo Alto.

that's cool

I only have a small idea of what VM Ware does, but I'm sure I will know more about it next month biggrin.gif
But I doubt that I will visit their headquater ...
Gustl
@ all - many thanks for your words mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif

@ T.C. - I keep my fingers crossed !!!

beerchug.gif Gustl
TJB/914
Wolfgang,

Excellent news & congratulations on your new position. I am happy for you.

Tom
SGB
I'm sure you will learn all you need quickly. If there is a similarity between us 914 owner's, it is resourcefullness. Good luck and kick ass!

beer.gif
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Gustl @ Oct 1 2008, 02:38 PM) *
I only have a small idea of what VM Ware does, but I'm sure I will know more about it next month biggrin.gif
But I doubt that I will visit their headquater ...

Well, if you ever do, please let us know! There's a pretty decent sized group around here... If you can't make it to a larger gathering, at least I can show that I actually do own a 914. wink.gif

--DD
championgt1
Congrats man!! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.