Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CHT Sensor ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
hey all,

working my way through all symptoms of Running Rich. Above sensor is last shot before rebuilt AFM.

Removed old sensor w/o to much trouble by cutting wire and using 13mm deep dish. Problem is the old sensor had a wider set of threads around it to make it fit the stripped out hole in the block. Can this be bought or will my mechanic have to make this go back together?
Another ? would be is it safe to drive. I assume it is. Don't want to be blowing oil out of the hole I have left in block. I don't think that is the case since old sensor was not covered in oil when i took it out.

thanks in advance for thoughts ideas sugestions.
day-um
jkp
euro911
Sounds like it had a heli-coil that came out when you unscrewed it ... __ YES? ... __ NO?

PIX would be helpful ... popcorn[1].gif
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 27 2008, 07:59 PM) *

Sounds like it had a heli-coil that came out when you unscrewed it ... __ YES? ... __ NO?

PIX would be helpful ... popcorn[1].gif

i believe that is correct. i did not know what it was called. heli-coil. Can this be bought at local FLAPS.

can not get to area on car to take a picture of CH. could take pic of old sensor if that would help any.

Thanks for the heads up Cap'n.....lol

jkp
Cap'n Krusty
The cylinder head temperature sensor isn't in the block. If it were, they'd probably call it something else ..................................... The Cap'n
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jun 27 2008, 05:17 PM) *

The cylinder head temperature sensor isn't in the block. If it were, they'd probably call it something else ..................................... The Cap'n

av-943.gif

Anybody got any tricks for getting this mother(CHT) back in its hole?

Thanks in advance

jkp

Glad I was able to be amusing last night.... biggrin.gif
VaccaRabite
Did someone drill your CHT hole all the way through the head? (a bad thing).

If not, you don't need anything in there. The hole does not go all the way through. Nothing should leak out.

Zach
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jun 28 2008, 04:39 AM) *

Anybody got any tricks for getting this mother(CHT) back in its hole?

Thanks in advance

jkp

Glad I was able to be amusing last night.... biggrin.gif

The helicoil will be your problem. Maybe the old one can still be used. Get the helicoil installed then the sensor. Make sure that none of the helicoil is sticking out above the head. This will prevent the sensor from making the best thermal contact with the head. For installing the sensor, use a deep socket and an old extension. Grind off one of the 4 corners of the extension so there is room for the wire to come out of the socket.
Hole does not appear to go thru head tho I actually can not see the hole because of location. I thought it would be OK so far as nothing leaking.

So I should try and get heilcoil on first then CHT. I was trying with heli already srewed on CHT. I was using the deep dish socket method with my fingers as the extension. with wire ran thru back of socket.

Off to the garage for another try.

Thanks u two for input this AM.
jkp

Bartlett, simply Brilliant...... pray.gif pray.gif
I'm sure that was the easy part..... unsure.gif ..
pics added.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
euro911
Go get a new Heli-Coil insert 'kit' from your local FLAPS... it comes with some spare inserts (with the drive tabs on them) and the drive tool ... and instructions of course ... tongue.gif
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jun 28 2008, 12:45 PM) *

Go get a new Heli-Coil insert 'kit' from your local FLAPS... it comes with some spare inserts (with the drive tabs on them) and the drive tool ... and instructions of course ... tongue.gif

The driver was the ticket to inserting the tang(can you tell i read instructions)..
then a lot of sawzall-smiley.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif ar15.gif smash.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif and she is in....

I quess I will now find out how hot my heads have been(that is a good thing)...but at least i'm back driving.gif

jkp
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.