Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Keeping headlights in the "up" position
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten
Just a quick dumb question--for some reason I was overly excited to watch my headlamps pop up and down when I hooked the battery back up to my "left for dead" '73 914. I'm tickled that they worked! (I've never had a car with pop-up headlamps before!)

Anyway, I've got a trim piece that needs to go on, and I'm assuming I just pull the relay once they're in the "up" position to keep them up? Is there something else that I can do?

Also, what is the best way to clean contacts, spruce up wiring, etc? My tailights are a disaster right now and I need to fix 'em.

Thanks,

Kris
ericread
Here's what you do.... 1) Always keep your fingers clear. These headlight motors will cut your fingers clean off.

Puit key in ignition and turn lights on. Now unhook your battery. The lights will remain up and the lights will go off. Once the work has been completed, make sure all tools have been cleared from the area, and re-attach the battery.

Of course, if you have a battery cutoff switch, this all becomes much easier.

Eric Read
jetboy
Cant you just not send power to the lights and use the manual knob on the motor to turn them up? Or do you need to disconnect battery for that too? The car i did it on didnt have a battery, so, im not sure.
kpfoten
Cool--didn't know there was a manual knob. Got a couple different options! Anyway, thanks for the replies!
ericread
You are right. There is a mnaual knob at each headlight used to manually raise or lower the lights. But be careful. I still recommend removing power. The headlight motors are powerful, and the last thing you want is a short while you are working on the assembly that causes the motor to engage. You could hurt/lose a finger that way.

Eric
euro911
I detest those friggin' pop-up headlights, but until I build my 'custom' fixed headlight assemblies, I'm stuck with them mad.gif (plus the wife's car will retain them) dry.gif

I tried aligning the cover plates the 'DOWN' (or 'CLOSED') position using the 'manual' knobs on the rear of the motors and found that they only give you a minor adjustment range, then catch some electrical connection and then activate of their own volition, even with the ignition switch and the light switch both in the OFF position WTF.gif

If you don't want to pull the battery terminal loose (and loose your radio's memories, etc.), you might try pulling the headlight relay(s) or the power connector(s) right there at the light assemblies ... after placing the assemblies in the 'UP' position with the light switch of course confused24.gif
firstknight13
if you pull the wires at the motor with the battery hooked you may break or stress those wires or get a surge reconecting them and maybe fry 30 yr old wire adding more problems...just disconect the battery dont be lazy. smile.gif
Joe Bob
Turn ignition on, turn on lights, turn ignition off, lights go off but in the up position....
markb
Just pull the relay when they are in the up position.
kpfoten

Thanks!

I turned the ignition on, flipped the lights up, shut the ign. off, pulled the battery cable, and life is good... Piece of cake!
kpfoten
Is there a way to adjust the headlight assembly in the right/left orientation? I put the trim piece back in place (I'm assuming this is why the PO removed it) and when the headlight retracts, the trim-piece hits the inner wall, preventing the headlight from retracting all the way. ..

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.