Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 converted to electric cars
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
james2
http://www.evalbum.com/type/PORS

Seems to be a fair number of 914's are getting converted to electric power.

I have mixed thoughts. i love internal combustion engines.

I also hate to see original cars modified.

On the other hand, I'm a firm believer that man/woman can do what they wish with their own property.

I also like the idea of driving around for 2 cents a mile. I even kicked around the idea of doing my own EV, but the batteries are just not there yet.

You can get good batteries, but you would never save enough on gas to pay for them.

a GOOD set is about 8-12K for lithium Ion. The old Lead Acid are just too heavy and who wants a car that can only go 30-40 miles?
Todd Enlund
I've never understood why the 914 was singled out for this fate. Not that an EV is an inherently bad idea, but I agree... the technology is not quite there yet.

But why the 914? Why not a Type III? Or any of a number of Japanese imports?
chris914
In what car can you drive around for $0.02 per mile? biggrin.gif

http://www.cassidy-online.com/thing74/thing74.html
james2
QUOTE(chris914 @ Jun 28 2008, 07:51 PM) *

In what car can you drive around for $0.02 per mile? biggrin.gif

http://www.cassidy-online.com/thing74/thing74.html

Is that your EV in the link?

if so, do you think it was worth the conversion?
chris914
Yes that was mine until I sold it. It was a lot of fun to build and drive.

The batteries are the big down fall.
smontanaro
QUOTE(james2 @ Jun 28 2008, 10:32 PM) *
... and who wants a car that can only go 30-40 miles?

Maybe all those people who drive less than 20 miles to work each day? biggrin.gif

Skip

smontanaro
QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jun 28 2008, 10:44 PM) *

Two trunks (room for plenty of batteries), lightweight (greater range), lots of suspension upgrades available (to handle the extra weight), still reasonably affordable as a glider, no "advanced" electronics to integrate with, kits available from Electro Automotive (at least, maybe others as well). That's just off the top of my head.

Skip

cobra94563
...my opimion...
-as a hobby project, do it if you enjoy the challege, effort and result.

-as a economical alternative, technology is not good enough.
Battery cost, weight, labor, etc

By comparison to my wife's Prius, 20k investment, that thing has not hiccuped in 45k miles. 50+ mpg, creature comforts - the technology is pretty impressive. The other day, an idiot light that came on for low tire pressure. I was thinking if there was a way to re-body the Prius chassis with a 914 or something sporty ... idea.gif
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jun 28 2008, 08:05 PM) *

Two trunks (room for plenty of batteries), lightweight (greater range), lots of suspension upgrades available (to handle the extra weight), still reasonably affordable as a glider, no "advanced" electronics to integrate with, kits available from Electro Automotive (at least, maybe others as well). That's just off the top of my head.

Skip

I agree, but a Type III... more room for batteries, same weight, suspension... I dunno, cheaper than a teener, same technology, and the kit could have been made for any car.

And I really like squarebacks biggrin.gif
dw914er
Im not really into electric cars. The conversion costs alot, and electricity here costs alot, so even though you wont be buying gas, you wont be saving money. And unless your electric power comes from wind or solar power, you are not really helping the environment.

And the fact i love the sound of my type 4 (and of course the porsche 6's, and v8s, and any other petrol motor) i just couldnt do electric
sww914
Do it to a Yugo.
racunniff
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jun 28 2008, 08:05 PM) *

Skip

agree.gif - http://volt914.blogspot.com/search/label/Summary

QUOTE(Todd Enlund @ Jun 28 2008, 11:52 PM) *

I agree, but a Type III... more room for batteries, same weight, suspension... I dunno, cheaper than a teener, same technology, and the kit could have been made for any car.

And I really like squarebacks biggrin.gif

Well, in my case, the fact that I was going to make it electric is what caused my wife to become my 914 ally rather than adversary biggrin.gif Also, the 914 I bought was well on its way to longitudinal failure before I hacked at it. I don't think it had much life left as safe-to-drive roller.

I also simultaneously rescued it from Barney Purple barf.gif
JimSar
QUOTE(smontanaro @ Jun 28 2008, 09:05 PM) *

Skip

Speaking of trunk space, here's how mine look:
IPB Image

IPB Image

Serious sh!t happens when you reach 88 mph. bye1.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

My office is less than 5 miles from home, and if I make side trips for errands and what have you, it's 25 - 30 miles max for the day. Charging at night costs under a dollar because we have a 2.1 kw solar power "plant" up on the roof. That's using the summertime net metering rate / time of use metering.

Strictly on cost/benefit, the project doesn't make sense. But since when did our hobbies (vices) become an economic issue? I loved building it, I enjoy driving it, can't take my money to the grave, I rest my case.

-jim
chris914
Very nice Jim!!!
james2
Nice car.

I was thinking of building a hybrid. The hardest part is developing a controller to integrate the two power plants.
Heeltoe914
Jim You did a very good job on that I like the layout and would like more info on the kit and parts you used? Do you have a manual you can share as a PDF. file?

Are thier inprovements that you have heard about.

Again nice project how long did it take in hours?
JimSar
QUOTE(Heeltoe914 @ Jun 29 2008, 04:56 PM) *

Jim You did a very good job on that I like the layout and would like more info on the kit and parts you used? Do you have a manual you can share as a PDF. file?

Are thier inprovements that you have heard about.

Again nice project how long did it take in hours?

I bought the major parts from KTA Services (http://www.kta-ev.com/index.html). Unlike kits from Electro Automotive where everything is turn-key, you pretty much have to macgyver lots of stuff yourself. I enjoyed doing that, though.

I have no background in automotive, so it took me much longer than it should. Sorry, I wasn't good in documenting stuff and taking a log. I started a blog, but lost interest and haven't really updated it. There's a Google Group called 914EV where a healthy exchange of information takes place. You'll find links there to good blogs.

This 914world is a great resource. Truthfully, without the advice, parts and services from fellow members, this project wouldn't have been possible.

-Jim
chris914
I bought all my parts from KTA. I also built their first web page in exchange for parts. lol
Joe Bob
link

I started a thread awhile back on the same subject. I can combine threads if the author of THIS thread, so chooses....

I was going to do one but got sidetracked on my last project. STILL want to do so....but...my biggest kvetch is batteries.

IMHO a Lithium or Nickle Metal battery in the form of an automobile battery would be best suited for the conversion. Longer lasting and more oomph than lead acid.
cobra94563
Jim,
Very cool! do you have a thread on your build or a web page with more info on your car? Looks very well done.
JimSar
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Jul 1 2008, 10:05 AM) *

Jim,
Very cool! do you have a thread on your build or a web page with more info on your car? Looks very well done.

Here's my lame attempt at a blog:
http://electric914.wordpress.com/

More "build" pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/jimsar9/PV2EV

Chris914, KTA has a new owner. It was a long time coming, are you keeping in touch with Ken?

I'm really, really hoping that when the time comes for me to replace the batteries, it won't be lead acid anymore. The crisis we're in right now, hopefully, will force the hand of the government as well as private researchers.
-jim
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.