Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need your wisdom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fadedbluejeans59
Great forum ladies and gentlemen! I'm looking at a '70 914 and upon initial inspection it looked like a real project car. I owned a '69 912 several years ago, and a couple of VW's. here's my question: I assume that most 914's have some rust, but other than obvious body damage, what should I look for before I purchase this car, and what would be considered big red flags? this car started right up, however was not drivable due to bad breaks, interior was gutted, seller was asking $1500, Sorry I don't have any pictures. any advice is greatly appreciated
Jim
r_towle
Rust is the major deal breaker with these cars.
If you have the ability to weld and fix the rust issues properly, then you can buy a car that most will run away from.

Given that statement, look all over the car.
Ask the owner to remove the outer rocker covers so you can see the outer longitudinal. (the long)
Look underneath the car at the bottom of the long right behind the passenger seat, that is where the battery sits and drips acid on the long to make it rust pretty bad.
Look at that same area under the battery in the lowest corner, under the computer...get a mirror and good light so see the extent of damage.

look in the lower rear trunk to see if that piece is rusted through.
Look up inside the rear wheel well towards the door handle to see how bad that rust is...the door handle area specifically.

Front trunk, look at the rubber seal, that is typically a problem.
Front floor under the pedal cluster will rust from master cylinder leaking.

Overall look at the floors, but focus on the rear section behind the seats.

That should give you enough to figure out if you are the right person to buy the car.

Rich
fadedbluejeans59
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 29 2008, 03:37 PM) *

If you have the ability to weld and fix the rust issues properly, then you can buy a car that most will run away from.

Ask the owner to remove the outer rocker covers so you can see the outer longitudinal. (the long)
Look underneath the car at the bottom of the long right behind the passenger seat, that is where the battery sits and drips acid on the long to make it rust pretty bad.
Look at that same area under the battery in the lowest corner, under the computer...get a mirror and good light so see the extent of damage.

Look up inside the rear wheel well towards the door handle to see how bad that rust is...the door handle area specifically.

That should give you enough to figure out if you are the right person to buy the car.

Rich

Rich,
Thanks for the input, with that being said. assuming that nothing is rusted through (I didn't notice any this severe) can rust be removed with inhibitors and a wire bush on a power tool? Thanks again
swl
QUOTE(fadedbluejeans59 @ Jun 29 2008, 05:03 PM) *

Rich

Rich,
Thanks for the input, with that being said. assuming that nothing is rusted through (I didn't notice any this severe) can rust be removed with inhibitors and a wire bush on a power tool? Thanks again

If you just find surface rust you are golden. Wirebrush, Metal Ready, POR 15 if it is a hidden surface. It is the deep body rust that will turn it from a summer project to a life long project. Rich's list is complete - if you don't find anything there you have yourself a project. The only think I would add is to check the interior side of the longs where they join the floors. Any sign of rust there likely means that it is coming through from the back side - may be worse than it looks.
fadedbluejeans59
thanks again.
r_towle
QUOTE(fadedbluejeans59 @ Jun 29 2008, 09:03 PM) *

Rich

Rich,

Dont take this the wrong way. I want to see you enjoy a car with no suprises.
Based upon your last question I would assume that welding is not your strong suit.

Get someone who KNOWS these cars to look at it with you.
He/She wont try to buy it out from under you, he will be there to protect your interests and find the rust.

I have never seen a 914 without rust...not one for sale cheap.

Rich
ericread
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 30 2008, 07:26 AM) *

Rich

Rich,

Based upon your last question I would assume that welding is not your strong suit.

He/She wont try to buy it out from under you, he will be there to protect your interests and find the rust.

Rich

agree.gif

A 914 without any rust whatsoever is probably a 914 with the rust hidden. I would rather know where the rust is than to later find rust that has been hidden. Makes you wonder about the integrity of the seller.

Eric Read
fadedbluejeans59
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 30 2008, 07:26 AM) *

Rich

Rich,

Rich

Rich,
Thanks for your help, you're right I don't weld, problem is I don't know any 914 owners around here that could take a look with me. I'm starting to wonder if this is a really good deal or if I should keep looking...
r_towle
Not sure, but put a thread up here asking for a PPI in Fresno.
Loads of CA people around here.

Rich
fadedbluejeans59
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jun 30 2008, 07:48 AM) *

Not sure, but put a thread up here asking for a PPI in Fresno.
Loads of CA people around here.

Rich

Hey uys thanks for all the help, I did find someone ( or rather he found me) and a good inspection has been made thanks for all the input, and thanks especially to Mark for taking a look for me...
dw914er
right on

good luck on your 914 endeavor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.