Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Project update w/ pics
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DrifterJay
ok been gone for awhile...sort of. Well my motor is being built right now, here are the specs:
Rebuilt Case (1.7 liter)
Rebuilt heads with new valves and mild port and polish
Balanced connecting rods
96 mm piston and cylinders
2.0 liter counterweight crank
webcam #86 grind
resurfaced flywheel
all new bearings
straight cut gears
rebuilt weber 40s
custom exhaust using stock primaries...(me being cheap) probably a supertrapp or stinger...havent decided

started sandblasting on post this weekend....its cheap to use...just time consuming..was quite impressed with the first pieces I did, will finish the rest of the engine tin and fan shroud this week. Anyone need parts to be sandblasted??? give me a buzz, I have no life during the week...in the desert (ft. irwin)...so u got the idea...anyways the engine bay is pretty nasty California Car!! Hopefully I can get that fixed in a year or so...not to excited about that, going to put the motor back in when its completed and put a decent suspension setup before tackling that...If I try and fix it now...I wont drive the car for 5 years. Going to sand the hellhole down and just rustoleum it to slow the cancer down. By the way, the battery is in the trunk in case you were wondering. Thats where I am at now, I plan on driving it by the first weekend of march. Well see!
DrifterJay
the rest of the completed tin and shroud..
DrifterJay
going to do these pieces later this week, I will probably have them powdercoated in silver...well see
DrifterJay
hellhole ohmy.gif
DrifterJay
ph34r.gif another bay shot
DrifterJay
by the way, my struts are Boge, yet they are orange, didnt they normally come in green?? By the way, the jacks under the floorpan are not taking any of the cars weight, they are just barely touching, merely OH SHIT jackstands, just to be safe...
DrifterJay
engine prior to going to the shop...cant wait for the 2056!!!
cha914
Jay,

what kind of setup are you using to sand blast those parts with? Me thinks I need to invest in one...

Also, to anyone else, I am guessing you run into the same issues of never really getting rid of the sand if you blast the engine bay...not something I would want flying around my engine/carbs etc... But outside of dipping the car, how do you go about stripping the engine bay?

Tony
DrifterJay
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=3066&st=20
I cant wait to get out driving...heres a photo of the car in june after my intitial purchase and cleaning out...ignore me, oops I mean that total stranger in the photo...if your interested in see more photos of the car, check out the link above...
Jared wub.gif
F4i
Are you running an oil cooler in your fender? Is that what those lines are? If so pics please?
DrifterJay
no oil cooler right now, those are from the old hack ac job on the car(need to pull the hoses out..)...but within a few months I will be putting one in...the sandblaster I am using is basically an enclosed unit that is about 5x5x5, with gloves to hold on to the part inside while u use the gun to blast away with your free hand. Not sure as to the costs of something like this, I just pay a couple bucks and hour and blast away at the selfserve auto place on post.
Jared
DrifterJay
well, for me, I am just going to use emery cloth in the engine bay, mostly likely I will do just the right engine shelf, since that is really the only part of the car with major through rust..the rest is just mild surface rust.
Jared
SirAndy
still running a tail-shifter, eh? idea.gif

how is that working for you?
Andy
Aaron Cox
yes...sand blast my suspension!!!!
DrifterJay
drop by this weekend and leave what you need done, will have it back to u in one week assuming the equipment is working ok. As for the tailshifter, even with the limited amount of driving I have been able to do, I really am quite used to it....I will probably keep with it for awhile... smile.gif
Aaron Cox
this weekend is dunkles....and i already started the rebuild of the 911 front. headbang.gif

hmmm what could you blast for me....? idea.gif

goin to dunkles?
SirAndy
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Jan 26 2004, 09:24 AM)
Rebuilt Case (1.7 liter)
Rebuilt heads with new valves and mild port and polish
Balanced connecting rods
96 mm piston and cylinders
2.0 liter counterweight crank
webcam #86 grind
resurfaced flywheel
all new bearings
straight cut gears
rebuilt weber 40s
custom exhaust using stock primaries

are you keeping the 1.7 heads?
you know, the 2.0 heads flow much better. wink.gif
i think it would be a waste of time and money to run the old 1.7 heads after all the work you're doing to the engine.

but if you go for the 2.0 heads, you'll need some new engine tin as well ...
Andy
DrifterJay
you cant run 2.0 heads on a 1.7 case...that only works if you have a 1.8 case...But, they will flow quite well when the headwork is done. Jared...
SirAndy
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Jan 26 2004, 04:36 PM)
you cant run 2.0 heads on a 1.7 case...that only works if you have a 1.8 case...But, they will flow quite well when the headwork is done. Jared...

interesting, i thought they could be made to fit. idea.gif

learn something new every day ...
Andy
DrifterJay
hey, ask brad before you go blurting that out...but I am nearly certain they are not a bolt-affair, machinework and other bs would be needed.. ohmy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(DrifterJay @ Jan 26 2004, 04:43 PM)
machinework and other bs would be needed.. ohmy.gif

aha, there you go! rolleyes.gif
i didn't know you were afraid of machine work.

i "think" the 1.7 case just has to be opened a bit to make room for the 2.0 cylinders ...
Andy
DrifterJay
machine work costs money...and being in the army...well I think you understand.. smile.gif
Aaron Cox
lol... save the coin for real heads! like mine! lol....

well see how it turns out right? prolly gonna be a beast! burnout.gif
DrifterJay
I hope well, peace out for today, If I disapear, I will be back on fri. when I am in Murrieta....going on a date... cool.gif
stock93
I dont know for a fact on 2.0L 914 cylinders but I do know 2.0L bus cylinders will fit in a 1.7 case. Are you sure you guys arent thinking heads? The 1.7 heads have a smaller register than the 1.8/2.0 heads.

John
SirAndy
QUOTE(stock93 @ Jan 26 2004, 07:25 PM)
I dont know for a fact on 2.0L 914 cylinders but I do know 2.0L bus cylinders will fit in a 1.7 case. Are you sure you guys arent thinking heads? The 1.7 heads have a smaller register than the 1.8/2.0 heads.

i heard somewhere that you need just a bit of clearance work where the "sleeve" of the cylinder slides into the block.
hmmm, maybe that's when you go "longstroke" ....

alzheimer is kicking in sad.gif
Andy
seanery
not that I'm paying 100% attention to this.

I've got a bus block with 2.0 Euro 914 pistons and 2.0 914 heads.
maf914
You will have already had to machine the 1.7 case for the 94mm cylinders. The stock 2.0 heads work with the 94mm register so you can use them as is.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.