Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What Raby cam are you using for carbs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
justme
So I'm doing a 1911 with 36dells
Looked at alot of threads that say Raby's 9550 does everything from keeping head temps down to removes rust. Most people say 8.3 to 1 for max with FI.
Other folks seam to be running higher compression with carbs, but?????
Are you still using a 9550 and just upping the compression or are you using a different cam/grind?
My goal is a streetable hotrod that revs quick/ idles well and is alot more fun than my tired old 1.7
I'm looking at his valvetrain kits but want to understand what people are using and the"numbers" before I commit to a cam.

Thanks!! flag.gif

blitZ
I believe the 9550 cam is for cars with the original FI. The cam for carbs is something else. You should probably ask Jake prior to purchase.
ConeDodger
You can ask this question on any web forum in the world and it will not change the fact that Jake will ask you a number of questions, and after considering where you live and the weather and altitude as well as what you want to do with your car he will TELL you what cam you need. If you don't agree with him, he will politely tell you a couple other sources for cams and send you on your way. You will have to buy the entire valve train because it all works together and he doesn't want you destroying a cam with the wrong lifters and such.

I think he does this for a couple of reasons. First of all, the cam is relatively delicate when compared to the other internals and you can destroy it very quickly, in fact you can destroy it on the engine stand doing a first fire. Then, you turn around and bad mouth the Type IV Store. Or, you just mention that you had a cam go bad in the first 15 minutes of run time and OTHER people who love to bash Jake bad mouth him. Nobody likes to have their life's work bad mouthed behind their back or publically. Especially when it was not his mistake. Jake quit selling cams separate from valve train components a year or two back.

There are perhaps 5 people in the world who could call Jake and say I want this cam or that cam. I believe Jake respects me and I am not one of them. Charles Navarro, Len Hoffman, Art Thrane and probably others I am not aware of. So, the point of all this is that you aren't going to "ask the guys" here and then call Rebecca and order yourself up a 9550 or any other number. That isn't how it works.

Jake knows what he is doing. Just call him.
Jake Raby
The cam that others are using will make no impact on the cam I will work with you to select for YOUR engine.

My method of cam selection won't allow mistakes to be made.

have you viewed my camshaft and valve train presentations? All the answers are there.

the 9550 is strictly for stock FI for the 914. the only carbureted engines that receive the 9550 are for VW Buses with dual 40mm carbs.

Just because the 9550 is popular, doesn't mean it will be what I select for your engine.
justme
Hi Jake,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't think the 9550 was the end all,just trying to get some feedback from those folks that used your cams in a "similar" combo. I'm very greatful that you put as much time into this forum as you do and sometime think I'd be imposing on your profetional time while in the fact finding stage. That said I guess I should schedule a call!

Thanks,
Phil
Jake Raby
Just place the order for the valve train kit that includes the cam and lifters.
Then a member of my team will schedule a time for you to speak with me so I can drill you with a dozen + questions.. By the end of that conversation I will have chosen a cam thats optimum for your application.

here we do what is required, and since the cam is the most important component within the confines of the TIV engine it deserves 15 minutes of my time to select..

The 9550 gets lots of press, because it is my most sold camshaft, because it allows the use of stock FI and offers 20% more power than the stocker as well as cooler running and better MPG... But it certainly isn't THE CAM for use for your Carbureted 914 :-)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.