Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 5-lug Spare ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
What kind of spare do you use if you have converted to 5-lug. I am wondering if the 911 Space Saver will fit under the targa top in the rear trunk.

Thanks in advance...

jkp
smontanaro
My /6 has a full-sized spare. In fact, it's a fifth 5-lug gas burner.

Skip

jim_hoyland
Space saver. You can pick up very good ones for $40-$60. I got mine from Bruce Stone at the G & R Swapmeet in Riverside.
Spoke
I picked up a nice 14 inch 5-lug Fuch from Camp914.
GeorgeRud
A fullsize spare fits in the rear trunk, in fact there is a threaded connector to even screw the tire into the trunk floor to keep it in place. The targa top fits over it fine as well as it's not ann overly wide tire.
SirAndy
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jun 30 2008, 07:47 PM) *

What kind of spare do you use if you have converted to 5-lug. I am wondering if the 911 Space Saver will fit under the targa top in the rear trunk.

my 7" cookie cutter with a 215/60 tire fits barely under the targa top in the rear trunk. it rubs just a little bit ...

i'm going to go with a 6" rim and a 195 tire. shouldn't be any trouble fitting that under the targa top ...
bye1.gif Andy
cobra94563
I use a space saver... and it fits under the targa top fine.
As others have said, probably a 6in or even a 5 1/2 in might fit, and then you wouldn't have to carry an air pump.
boxstr
Works everytime.
CCLINSPARETIREINACAN
GringoLoco
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jun 30 2008, 11:01 PM) *

Works everytime.
CCLINSPARETIREINACAN

IPB Image

Well, almost every time. biggrin.gif

Seriously though, I've had a can of fixaflat bail me out twice now. Both times I had a spare tire in the trunk, but didn't want to change it on the side of the freeway (first time) or in a crappy neighborhood at night (second time). Works quick too.
jk76.914
15 x 4.5 wheel with 135R15 tire. Got the wheel on eBay and the tire from Coker.
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Jul 1 2008, 12:46 AM) *

As others have said, probably a 6in or even a 5 1/2 in might fit, and then you wouldn't have to carry an air pump.

So the space saver is flat and has to be inflated?
nsr-jamie
JK.76 914 does it work with your windshield washers? I was going to do something like this too and wonder if I have enough air pressure in there to run them, or will the spare run flat after a couple of uses??
PRS914-6
If you have big brakes there is a limited # of wheels that will fit. I used a 964 spare.
Click to view attachment
cobra94563
QUOTE(7275914911 @ Jul 1 2008, 04:40 AM) *

QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Jul 1 2008, 12:46 AM) *

So the space saver is flat and has to be inflated?

yup.
Elliot Cannon
I carry the same spare. I use a small pony scuba bottle with a first stage of a scuba regulator to air it up. The small electric pumps work good, just takes a little more time.
Rand
QUOTE(boxstr @ Jun 30 2008, 11:01 PM) *

Works everytime.
CCLINSPARETIREINACAN

This stuff is great, but the last flat I got, something flipped up and punctured the sidewall. sad.gif I'm glad I was carrying a spare that time. Sucked having to replace a nearly new tire.
jk76.914
QUOTE(jk76.914 @ Jul 1 2008, 07:01 AM) *

15 x 4.5 wheel with 135R15 tire. Got the wheel on eBay and the tire from Coker.
Click to view attachment

I'm using an electric pump that I mounted under the bottle. No reason it shouldn't work though. VW bugs had pretty little tires and used the spare tire air pressure.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.