Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT first time buying a car that cant be delivered for 2 months 2009 td
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LarryR
Well I threw in the towel today and plopped down my deposit for my 2009 vw jetta tdi. It will be my new daily driver.

You can't believe the acceleration of the new TDI's this thing barks the tires all over the place just by blipping the throttle. 0 - 60 in a somewhat respectable 6.9 seconds (not blazing fast but for a commuter...). It handles pretty nicely too. The HP is 140 but has an insane 248 lb ft of torque. It is a real blast to drive.

Since I am buying the first round I got the loyalty package car nicely equiped with leather, sunroof, alloys, heated seats etc... for 24190... I got the reflex silver with anthracite leather... I wanted white but I guess since they built all the demo cars in white that color wont be available till Oct and only the first round cars will have the loyalty package.

Here's the rub, I wont take delivery until Aug. 20. This is the first time I have ever bought a car before it was even built!! They will call me with the vin July 28 when the build is complete and ~3 weeks later it will arrive at the vw dealer.
evan
Great to hear! I was thinking of my third Jetta recently. Have my wife's 1998 Accord and hate it. So I was thinking of another Jetta but i've been hearing bad reports on the repairs for the cars after a few years. Started looking at the mini cooper clubman but it is lots of money, but fun fun to drive.
evan
ps let me know how it is when you get the car
TeenerTim
That's pretty much how you did it in 60s. You could order any option or accessory group you wanted. My dad ordered a 64 1/2 Mustang before there were even any to display. He filled out the order sheet with exactly what he wanted. Red paint, white interior, 4 speed tranny, 4 bbl carb, and no A/C.
james2
I have a 2001 Jetta with 142000 miles on it. i have it chipped, supposed to be 110 hp or so.

Not really a fan of VOA, and i had several small problems, map light broke, window regulators, dash light blink on and off, turbo went out at 97,000 miles. yada, yada yada.

Turbo could be my fault, chipped and I flat tow my 56 VW with it a lot.

Good part, is they pull like a freight train in the higher gears with all the torque. And mine has always gotten 42 mpg or better, even though i dog it a lot. On the highway I get 48 MPG, driving 80-85 MPG

My friend has a 2006 and his will break the tire loose from a roll in first gear.

All in all, I love it and plan to buy another, but the little stuff breaking can be frustrating.

As it is, i plan to keep mine until it hits 200,000. It still runs great and burns zero motor oil.

Rumor is the motors are good for 400,000 miles. i believe it.
LarryR
QUOTE(evan @ Jul 1 2008, 07:13 AM) *

Great to hear! I was thinking of my third Jetta recently. Have my wife's 1998 Accord and hate it. So I was thinking of another Jetta but i've been hearing bad reports on the repairs for the cars after a few years. Started looking at the mini cooper clubman but it is lots of money, but fun fun to drive.
evan
ps let me know how it is when you get the car

I have heard people say they have had problems with vw's. However, my wife's passat has been nothing but great. 86K miles and runs like a top. I also work with 2 people with jetta's and they have been good cars too. They drive so much better than japanese cars I am willing to take a chance on another one.

QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Jul 1 2008, 03:06 PM) *

That's pretty much how you did it in 60s. You could order any option or accessory group you wanted. My dad ordered a 64 1/2 Mustang before there were even any to display. He filled out the order sheet with exactly what he wanted. Red paint, white interior, 4 speed tranny, 4 bbl carb, and no A/C.

The difference here is I was lucky to even say the color I wanted. There are only 3 colors available on the launch cars: Black, Platinum, and Silver (the color I got).

They will all have loyalty package on them with I think sunroof and std trans being the only options.

QUOTE(james2 @ Jul 1 2008, 03:41 PM) *

I have a 2001 Jetta with 142000 miles on it. i have it chipped, supposed to be 110 hp or so.

Not really a fan of VOA, and i had several small problems, map light broke, window regulators, dash light blink on and off, turbo went out at 97,000 miles. yada, yada yada.

Turbo could be my fault, chipped and I flat tow my 56 VW with it a lot.

Good part, is they pull like a freight train in the higher gears with all the torque. And mine has always gotten 42 mpg or better, even though i dog it a lot. On the highway I get 48 MPG, driving 80-85 MPG

My friend has a 2006 and his will break the tire loose from a roll in first gear.

All in all, I love it and plan to buy another, but the little stuff breaking can be frustrating.

As it is, i plan to keep mine until it hits 200,000. It still runs great and burns zero motor oil.

Rumor is the motors are good for 400,000 miles. i believe it.

Glad to hear another happy vw owner out there. I got really close to buying one back in 03 but would not force myself to pay sticker back then. I decided not to make the same mistake twice. The tdi's hold their value very nicely.

I just cant wait to start that mid 40's mpg. The jeep has been a descent car since 96 but with gas hitting close to 5 bucks now it is just no longer practical to drive it. The funny thing is that it was my 'good gas mileage' car back in 96 laugh.gif
QUOTE(LarryR @ Jun 30 2008, 09:25 PM) *

Well I threw in the towel today and plopped down my deposit for my 2009 vw jetta tdi. It will be my new daily driver.

Here's the rub, I wont take delivery until Aug. 20. This is the first time I have ever bought a car before it was even built!! They will call me with the vin July 28 when the build is complete and ~3 weeks later it will arrive at the vw dealer.

Not too bad..I put down $2500.00 and waited three years for mine to show up biggrin.gif
mel reckling
I sold cars from 1974-1989, most of the 70s with Olds and Chevy. Back then about half the cars I sold were specifically equipped cars built to the customer's order. You were pretty lucky to have the car you ordered in 2 months. If you added something like T-Tops where they shipped them out to Hurst they took about 6 months to get, Vettes were the same.

There were so many options you couldn't overlook and a few surprised customers came to find out they didn't get tinted glass or rear defoggers or power steering and wound up driving around in a greenhouse or a car you couldn't see out of the back window when humid. One thing that amazed me the most when I came to Toyota in 1979 was how they packaged so much standard equipment.

Wish you all the best with your new VW.

driving.gif
swl
Great choice! Keep it in top gear and lug the crap out of it. You'll be amazed at the fuel milage you can get out of it. My sis-in-law has had one for about 5 years and the thing has been amazingly trouble free. Just a couple of the prerequisite electrical gremlins that James points out - hopefully they now have that crap sorted out.

Waiting is a killer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.