Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT engine LID directions???
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
got my engine lid off and an extra engine lid sitting around....so, anyone have directions or plans? It seems it cannot be that hard to do, but a few pointers or things to look out for would be nice.

Damn, I cannot Edit the title or delete post to start over, whatsup with that?!?!?

Should be GT Engine LID directions

[ I just did it for ya - Jeroen ]
SirAndy
if you're talking about the 916-style engine lid,
i have one. it's at brad's shop. you can use it as a reference ...

Andy
djm914-6
here's what I did so far. It's been a long time and I still haven't finished the bloody thing...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread....&threadid=86528
seanery
Nice article Dave!
Mueller
Great article, I'll be looking at that once for reference.

I too do not like the look of rivets on an item like this, you did a good job.
Jeroen
Hey Mike,

Cut everything off... you won't need any of it and you'll be amazed how light it becomes...

If you have an extra lid, use the grille/mesh of that
I didn't, so I just used stretched mesh an pop-riveted it in place...

here are some pics of mine

cheers,

Jeroen
ps did your wife like your jacket?
Mueller
Hey Jeroen.....

The jacket saved my ass from getting chewed out for not getting home early. She planned dinner for us...opps smile.gif

It is a nice jacket and I look good in it tongue.gif tongue.gif mueba.gif

Between your site and Dave's, I've got some good idea's.....

Hey, make sure you update your suspension page once you get the needle bearings, LOL
Lawrence
Dave,

I checked out your Pelican thread... very slick, and I loved the step-by-step details.

Quick questions: Do you have a closeup of how the two grills mate together? Did you use some kind of seal between the two pieces?

thanks,
Lawrence

Oh, hey Jeroen - is that one piece of mesh that you used? I can't see any seam joining two pieces.
djm914-6
On my (unfinished) lid, the two grills don't come together. On the top, there is a 1" strip of metal left to seperate the grills. I suppose some sort of a seal would look nice before the pieces are pop rivited together.
Lawrence
Was there not enough grill material in two grills to cover the entire lid, or did you leave the strip in place as reinforcement?

-Rusty
djm914-6
The stock grill material has a strip about 1/2" or so on the leading edges that is not perferated. I don;'t believe you can cover the entire top with one extra grill. The reason I left an inch of metal left was purely for looks. At the time, I didn't like the 'real GT' look.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.