Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: media blasting 914 quote
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
i love porsche
i got quoted $1800-2000 to have my 914 blasted, exterior, interior, engine bay and trunks...

does anyone have any experience in this industry? is this a reasonable price?

it seemeda bit high to me, but i have no basis for my opinions
gopack
I had my tub soda blasted for $1000 2 years ago. I had everything...... nuts bolts, wires and grommets....removed. they sand blasted some of the areas like floor pans and under the fenders and sodda blasted the rest. about the only part of thge car left unmolested was the insides of the doors!
i love porsche
that seems more reasonable...i think im gonna shop around and see what else i can find

does anyone know of media blasters in the NNJ/tri-state area?
turboman808
I would try talking the guy down first. $1000 is better then no money at all.
i love porsche
wahoo! found a guy who can do it for less than a grand!

its good being frugal someteims =]
PanelBilly
I had mine done for $850. There were a few areas he could do like under the headlights. He said he wouldn't do the bottom of the trunk or hood because it would damage the outer panels. I did give him an extra $400 to prime the intire car so it would be same from surface rust. I don't know if that was really needed. He did apply a heavy coat of primer.
i love porsche
wow..400 to prime! the other company quoted me ANOTHER 1500 to prime it...
PanelBilly
This prime wasn't intended as the coat that I would apply my paint over. It was to protect the bare metal. He did do a nice job of making sure all the surfaces that were stripped had paint on them.
i love porsche
can bodywork be done on a primed surface or does it have to be bare metal.. if i get the car primed, i want to avoild having to pay for the bodyshop to take it back down to bare metal to do their stuff
PRS914-6
$1200 would be about right. Make sure it's primed IMMEDIATELY after blasting and I mean right from blast to the next room for prime. The surface will start to rust immediately and even finger prints will cause you problems down the road. I can't overemphasize this step. It's worth the few hundred extra to get it done.

This prime is only intended for rust prevention and protection. It doesn't matter how much body work is needed. Re-prime as you go...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.