Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken fan blades, and thermostat/tin question.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
I'm in the process of re-sealing a 74 1.8 and after taking off the cooling fan I see one blade is broken and gone. Is this going to throw everything out of whack, or is one missing blade negligible?

Second, the thermostat is shot and has no cable. Normally this wouldn't concern me since the flap should fail to the safe UP position. However, after removing the tin I found the flapper was locked down over the oil cooler by the lower tin piece. I took everything apart because of fuel vapor lock and the engine getting sluggish after driving for a while, so I was concerned about cooling issues. Other than that the car was running fine. Should I be worried about any serious complications?

Dan
davep
Jake makes sure his balanced assemblies even have the bolts indexed to specific locations. A missing blade is pretty significant in comparison. Still, there are a lot of engines running with missing fins. If you have the opportunity to replace it, then I would do so.

In the thermostat, I would always ensure it is working properly. It makes a big difference in getting the engine up to temperature quickly. Parts are cheap.
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(LowGT @ Jul 1 2008, 07:16 PM) *

I'm in the process of re-sealing a 74 1.8 and after taking off the cooling fan I see one blade is broken and gone. Is this going to throw everything out of whack, or is one missing blade negligible?

Second, the thermostat is shot and has no cable. Normally this wouldn't concern me since the flap should fail to the safe UP position. However, after removing the tin I found the flapper was locked down over the oil cooler by the lower tin piece. I took everything apart because of fuel vapor lock and the engine getting sluggish after driving for a while, so I was concerned about cooling issues. Other than that the car was running fine. Should I be worried about any serious complications?

Dan

The missing blade on the fan(where did it go?) will make things unbalanced. Bearings will eventually fail. Get another.

Get another thermo and cable. Make it right.
Pat
Katmanken
Look in the fan shroud for the missing blade.

Found mine, the PO had busted it off at an angle at the base. The angle was about 30-45 degrees and angled the right way so centripetal force causes the blade to wedge in. Locked it with a tiny amount of structural aircraft epoxy on the break and it works fine.

Ken
LowGT
QUOTE(Pat Garvey @ Jul 1 2008, 08:30 PM) *

The missing blade on the fan(where did it go?) will make things unbalanced. Bearings will eventually fail. Get another.

Get another thermo and cable. Make it right.
Pat

Hell if I know where it went biggrin.gif , I didn't find it anywhere after taking the rest of the engine apart.

I definitely plan on replacing the thermostat/cable and making sure the flappers are working. I'm more concerned if any damage may have been done with the flapper being locked down over the oil cooler by the lower tin.

I was on the fence about replacing the fan, but I'm definitely going to do it now.
Jake Raby
One blade is good for a 4 gram differential in balance.. At a 5.5" radius thats huge.
Some people will break another blade opposite the one thats already missing, but that really is a piss poor solution to the issue.
SirAndy
QUOTE(LowGT @ Jul 1 2008, 05:16 PM) *

Second, the thermostat is shot and has no cable. Normally this wouldn't concern me since the flap should fail to the safe UP position. However, after removing the tin I found the flapper was locked down over the oil cooler by the lower tin piece.

which is exactly how it should be ... shades.gif

with the flap *down* it will move air directly over the oil cooler, thus giving you full oil cooling.

with the flap *up*, the oil cooler will be completely blocked off from the air stream ...
bye1.gif Andy
zymurgist
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Jul 1 2008, 10:24 PM) *

One blade is good for a 4 gram differential in balance.. At a 5.5" radius thats huge.
Some people will break another blade opposite the one thats already missing, but that really is a piss poor solution to the issue.

On another car site that I used to frequent, this approach to car maintenance is known as a "Bubba" fix. biggrin.gif
type47
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 2 2008, 04:07 AM) *

On another car site that I used to frequent, this approach to car maintenance is known as a "Bubba" fix. biggrin.gif

gosh, i didn't know Corvettes had cooling fans! biggrin.gif

noticed you sold the Neon. how's the search for a 914 going? local one still available?
zymurgist
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 2 2008, 09:30 AM) *

Of course they do! They have radiators too. wink.gif

noticed you sold the Neon. how's the search for a 914 going? local one still available?

As a matter of fact, the local one is still there. The guy put it on eBay twice, once at $5600 and the second time at $5700 (if it doesn't sell, try again with a higher price WTF.gif ). I've been looking at other eBay cars and it's my biased opinion that his car is worth $3000. It's a '74 1.8 with carbs, steel wheels, black bumpers, no appearance goodies at all. Longs appear to have been redone but the battery tray is missing (battery in trunk).

It's been sitting there so long, I've half a mind to go back and offer him $3000 cash on the spot. I'd really like to get the Mercedes ready for sale before I take on any horse trading, though.
type47
QUOTE(zymurgist @ Jul 2 2008, 11:58 AM) *

QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 2 2008, 09:30 AM) *

Of course they do! They have radiators too. wink.gif

As a matter of fact, the local one is still there. The guy put it on eBay twice, once at $5600 and the second time at $5700 (if it doesn't sell, try again with a higher price WTF.gif ). I've been looking at other eBay cars and it's my biased opinion that his car is worth $3000. It's a '74 1.8 with carbs, steel wheels, black bumpers, no appearance goodies at all. Longs appear to have been redone but the battery tray is missing (battery in trunk).

It's been sitting there so long, I've half a mind to go back and offer him $3000 cash on the spot. I'd really like to get the Mercedes ready for sale before I take on any horse trading, though.

fix what ya got, sell it before you replace it's spot with another. i've got an L-jet FI system if you ditch the carbs idea.gif
zymurgist
QUOTE(type47 @ Jul 2 2008, 04:26 PM) *

fix what ya got, sell it before you replace it's spot with another.

If you're talking about selling the 911, that would only happen if I found a 914/6. I was trying to work a deal on that earlier this year but it never happened.

If you're talking about selling the Corvette, that's not gonna happen. biggrin.gif
james2
It's obvious that the rodent in your avatar caused this problem. You might look into getting a smaller hamster, they are easier on the fan blades....IMHO

QUOTE(LowGT @ Jul 1 2008, 05:16 PM) *

Dan

LowGT
QUOTE(james2 @ Jul 2 2008, 05:34 PM) *

It's obvious that the rodent in your avatar caused this problem. You might look into getting a smaller hamster, they are easier on the fan blades....IMHO

I tried a direct meth injection kit on the hamster, the ebay add stated it was completely safe and good for an extra .25 whp. However, I don't think the fan could support the shock load the hamster put out. idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.