Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: correct relay board cover & battery cover for 1974
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
Howdy all, I noticed there are two styles of relay board covers. One that has a hole in the top where a post from the board goes through, and the other without the post or hole. Which is correct for a 74?

Other question, battery covers. I seen a partial rubber cover, and also a plastic cover. Which one should I use?

Thanks,

Tod
AvalonFal
QUOTE(tod914 @ Jul 2 2008, 01:27 AM) *

Howdy all, I noticed there are two styles of relay board covers. One that has a hole in the top where a post from the board goes through, and the other without the post or hole. Which is correct for a 74?

Tod

The relay board cover on my '74 2.0L has the hole in the top for the stud.

Paul
JeffBowlsby
The answer Tod is clear as mud.

I have 2 very original 914s, built a few days apart. One has the post/knurled nut, the other has the hole-less cover.

The 'plastic box battery cover' is a part of the HO recall campaign and only an earlier, non-recall upgraded 914 would have that..other than the millions of early-stryle battery covers available on ebay.
914werke
On my resto I have the non-hole'ed relay board cover WITH the elastic retaining strap. But I didnt understand your response Jeff, re the battery cover.
Are you saying a 74 wouldn't have one unless is was addressed by a dealer and a
"box" style cover was then applied according to a Porsche recall?
And that the "T" style early cover was not correct?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 14 2009, 02:55 PM) *

On my resto I have the non-hole'ed relay board cover WITH the elastic retaining strap. But I didnt understand your response Jeff, re the battery cover.
Are you saying a 74 wouldn't have one unless is was addressed by a dealer and a
"box" style cover was then applied according to a Porsche recall?
And that the "T" style early cover was not correct?

I'm not 100% certain when the "T" style cover was abandoned, though I suspect it continued into the 74 model year.

That style battery cover (T-styles with rubber hold down) was replaced on 914's that underwent the "campaign". It was generally replaced with a cobbled-up Audi battery cover (plastic, with several nips cut from it).

The relay board seems to have gone through a "transision" during the 74 era. Some had the hole & knurled nut, some like yours. Anything prior to 74 should have the knurled nut.

Help?
Pat
914werke
Any Pics of the Box style? I think I had and tossed one because it was in bad shape, anyone with a good one? What was the "campaign" for?
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 14 2009, 07:55 PM) *

Any Pics of the Box style? I think I had and tossed one because it was in bad shape, anyone with a good one? What was the "campaign" for?

The "campaign"'s pupose was to replace the T-style battery cover and its rubber wand so that rain water could not enter the engine drill, washing over the battery posts and drip down onto the fuel lines, causing a fire hazard. Good idea, but poorly implemented.

What you got, in the mid-70's when the program was active, was a new set of injector elbows, new clamps, and an Audi battery cover that was chopped to fit the top of a 914 battery. Crude, but functional. My understanding is that this recall is still active.

In my humble opinion, the cobbled up Audi battery cover was so crude & gross that I've retro'd to the original!
Pat
JeffBowlsby
biggrin.gif Sorry to inform you that the HO recall campaign, even though the literature says it is open, is not honored. The HO recall info is on my website if anyone wants to see it.

drooley.gif Wish I could find a good one of these, with the sticker...
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Aug 15 2009, 11:44 PM) *

biggrin.gif Sorry to inform you that the HO recall campaign, even though the literature says it is open, is not honored. The HO recall info is on my website if anyone wants to see it.

drooley.gif Wish I could find a good one of these, with the sticker...

Jeff,

I'll get some pics of mine to you. You're welcomed to it!
Pat
Ferg
My very early (#357, August build date) 74 2.0 has the hole with the rod.

Ferg beerchug.gif
scrz914
Are you guys talking about battery covers or relay board covers? I think the original questions was about relay board covers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.