Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Seeking Sage Wisdom
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srthompson01
PO installed electric latch to go with the bigass reflector on the back. I used to think it was cool.

My electric trunk latch chose to stop working, anybody have any advice?

I was thinking remove the hinge bolts and try getting at it that way, but I have learned to ask for advice first.

Any great ideas?

Thanks in advance.
reverie
Does the reflector have a small hole near the center?

Or is there a wire-thingy hanging down above the exhaust?
srthompson01
QUOTE(reverie @ Jul 2 2008, 09:06 AM) *

Does the reflector have a small hole near the center?

Or is there a wire-thingy hanging down above the exhaust?

Nope, that would require luck or planning. I'm out of both
reverie
SirAndy and Airsix have good advice in this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...c=39944&hl=
PanelBilly
Have a friend push down on the truck lid where the latch is. This will compress the spring and take the load off of the release motor and make it easier for it to work.
If this works, the motor is nearly dead. I wouldn't lock it again.
ClayPerrine
If you can't get to it in any other way, pop out one of the cups for the top latches, and use a bunch of long extensions to unbolt the latch.

then put in an emergency release cable. Personally I like the release in the driver's door jamb.
Cap'n Krusty
"Easiest"? Sawzall. Best? The long extension/socket method. I use locking extensions, but I realize most folks don't own them. You'll need around 4 feet and a 10mm wobble socket, as well as a small but bright light source. Hope your trunk is empty ................. The Cap'n
Joe Bob
If there is a reflector on it....pry it off, stick yer tool in the hole where the lock mechanism used to be and up pops the decklid.

Next, take said reflector and give it the float test.....make sure to tie the electric actuator to it so that it floats better.

NOW.....Take a THICK SHARPIE, then print POrscha on the back where that POS reflector used to be....serves the same purpose. Better yet, cut out letters from a magazine like they use for ransome notes in movies.....laminate with clear fiberglass....

BTW....Have you tried pushing down on the lid and hitting the button? Try it AFTER you pry off the reflector... blink.gif

You can also drill a hole where the lock was if it's filled and poke around it there...most Dent Guys can fix the hole cheap....or here's a good idea....put the godammned lock back in....

Hey did I mention that rear reflectors are stoopid? av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
rjames
If your opinion regarding the reflector differs from others, and/or you don't feel like drilling holes into your car ( WTF.gif ), Do what Andy suggested in the link that was provided in this thread. It works and is easy.

i had good luck with a metal coat hanger. unfold it and make a little hook on one end. open engine lid and remove one of the round plastic cups in the trunk wall.
ideally, have a friend help you out with a flashlight through the other cup-hole on the opposite side.

use the coathanger to pull back the latch. also helps to have said friend pull up the hood once you get the hanger hooked to the latch.

took about 10 minutes of fiddeling ...
smash.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.