It all started when I was driving along in my newly aquired '75 2.0 and decided to turn on the headlights. I smelled smoke and the car sputtered, so I turned them off instantly. Immediately everything was fine again. I turned on the fog lights and continued on my way. A couple of weeks later, I was leaving my folks house and it was getting dark again. So feeling a little froggy, I pulled the headlight switch and was rewarded with the pleasant aroma of burnt wiring and the car sputtered again. I cursed (in German so the car would understand), and pushed in the switch, but this time the car only ran for about 10 seconds before dying completely.

When trying to start the car again I noticed that the fuel pump was not making any noise (dual carbs). I towed the car home and looked under the dash. I discovered two burnt wires. One was the big red wire that goes from the ignition switch to the headlight relay. The other one is red with a white stripe and goes from the headlight relay to the fuse panel (if I remember right).

I have replaced both wires and now the car will turn over but the fuel pump does not come on. In fact, the whole "Switched power" side of the fuse panel is dead. There is a black wire that goes from the ignition switch to the T14 connector on the relay board in the engine compartment and it is dead too.

I'm pretty sure that the switch is the problem. I have replaced the ground strap at the back of the tranny (thanks Craig). Any other ideas or does my diagnosis seem to be correct?

Mike