Add that to my wish list biggrin.gif
bryanc
Check the longs!
PeeGreen 914
I wouldn't want that.....

Or I'm a big liar and would really relly like to have it biggrin.gif
Justinp71
Damn thats awesome! driving.gif

$110k to build, that must include labor, wonder what the trans cost?
PeeGreen 914
Not always. I know of someone that has a 914 that just to buy the transmission that is in it cost 40k. That's just for the trany.

But it's likely that it does included labor.
jim_hoyland
So, who here is going to bid on it ? Think it would go for under $50.0 ?
KELTY360
It really needs ConeDodger's rain hats. happy11.gif
LarryR
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 2 2008, 04:40 PM) *

Damn thats awesome! driving.gif

$110k to build, that must include labor, wonder what the trans cost?

duno I bet @ those HP numbers I bet he has mega bucks just in the engine. I bet @ least 8K into the heads for those kind of numbers. Then cylinders at almost 4K . A set of carillo's at about 3500... on and on... My finger in the air estimate to build the enigine I am guessing 25K.

Sequential 6 speed would probably set a guy back in the 15K range...

paint, chasis, flugelbinder...
byndbad914
that's a pretty nice car for sure. I would want to raise the hoop on that cage but that is minimal money to fix.

I would say he has more than $25K in that 3.8L unless he built it himself. That is the problem with the Porsche motors.. to make that kind of power you will spend serious money and probably spin the hell out of it (doesn't note rpm the HP was at). Looks to be a nice ride nonetheless - good and light and looks sharp.

I don't know about the Hewland, but I highly doubt it was anywhere near $40K (or the guy shoulda considered other options). I am considering a heavy duty sequential for mine in the $13K-$14K range, and a lighter non HD setup (but enough for that engine) would knock that down closer to $10K.

I can see that he would have $110K in it paying others to do it. Knowing what I have in mine that couldn't be duplicated for less than $80K, tack on a few K for the Hewland, and around $20K more for that -6 and that is close to $110K right there. If he had a Porsche guy do the cage, that probably cost about what my full tube chassis cost, so that would be break even.
FourBlades

So why are they selling it with only 1 hour on it? It must have taken
forever to build it, now they sell it without driving it much? Maybe it
drives like a pig??? Or the seller died from old age waiting to get it
done???

John
turboman808
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 3 2008, 10:24 AM) *

done???

John

I spent a year building a 323 rally car. Then the next year I raced it one time. Came to conclusion I just didn't have time for it and sold it. I think this happens rather often.
BKLA
Sometimes it's more fun to build it than to drive it....

I, too, speak from experience. :wink:
byndbad914
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 3 2008, 10:24 AM) *

done???

John

I am sorta there with you... there are many scenarios but one may be that it was MORE than he expected. The first time I drove my 525HP car at Willow Springs I about shit myself it was sooo freakin' fast and it was a handful. Read that as scary. I can literally drive the car with my right foot and when I wasn't used to that it was very tough to get a bridle on it.

So I actually was having nightmares I built way too much car and was going to sell the engine and tone it down. The iterating to make the car actually handle is a task many have no real concept of and it has been a slow process for me. I am in my mid 30s and bear all the war wounds of wrenching on race cars thru my 20s like a bum right knee for instance, so I takes me time these days biggrin.gif So maybe he tracked it, it handles poorly and needs the real hard "busy" work to be done now and maybe cares neither to afford the time or more money.

Just a thought... I bet that car is a monster to drive with that much power. Mine is very, very easy to go really fast, but when you go just a little too far, shit hits the fan big time v. a slower, simpler car.

I bet that car needs some work and would be the right car (if the buy is right) for a guy with setup skills to buy and make it a monster. That car would walk all over my car in the right hands with a good setup... similar power to weight ratio and lighter so on a technical course it might just be the real deal.

You can quote me on this (I told my buddy this after breaking the front susp at the track and taking 3hrs to get it on the trailer awhile back) - nobody said racing would be easy, but nobody told me it was going to be so damn hard!

Owning, maintaining and generally fuching with a race car is a PITA frankly and definitely not for everyone - I have my days trust me. A lot of guys have their dreams shattered after building and dumping big $$ into a car only to find out on the maiden voyage it really isn't for them or they are just plain scared and their ass is suctioned cup down to the seat and they're white knuckled and shaking.

Additionally, I have literally spent nearly every weekend the past few weeks just dicking with mine, let alone the fact a month ago I had the engine and trans completely out for its annual general cleaning and valve adj, clutch inspection, etc etc. Building the car is the EASY/fun part I promise you. Everything after that feels a lot like work shades.gif
Zardozz
What? No turbo? smile.gif
FourBlades

I can see the "more fun to build than drive angle" and also the "scares the crap out of you" angle as well. If you want to race, buy a low spec car and see if you like it, then move up gradually. I can also see how setting a car set up right is a totally different set of knowledge and skills from building one. When I get mine done I am gonna need some help from you all to make it handle the best it can...

John
BMXerror
QUOTE(FourBlades @ Jul 4 2008, 04:02 PM) *

If you want to race, buy a low spec car and see if you like it, then move up gradually.
John

Well, most people don't have the money to do this. I'm not there yet, but I'm guessing that by the time I'll be able to afford the ongoing cost of any true road racing (IE, track fees, tires, hotels, car maintenance, tires, gas to and from the track, tires.. ect.) I'll probably have a little more car prepared than I'll be able to handle at first. Right now I'm slowly building it up as I get the cash, but I can't really afford the track time I need. I know it'll probably scare me, but I hope it doesn't scare me THAT bad... Hope I don't find a lot to live for before then! biggrin.gif The engine that I have in mind for my eventual demise should produce in the 590 hp range! screwy.gif
Mark D.
PeeGreen 914
It may scare you at first but you'll get used to it. It just gets to be familiar once you've been out for a while. All of a sudden you are flying down the straights and throught the twisties. My first time around the track was in a Carrera GT with someone that is paid to race. It took my breath away. Then I sat in a Lotus Elise and got to drive and it was simple as I was going much slower. I can't wait to take my 914 out there.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.