Full Version: LA Times features an electric teener
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
Here's a link. Enjoy!

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automoti...0,3144785.story

The Cap'n
drem914
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 3 2008, 11:03 AM) *

Check out the other electric teeners by following a link w/in the story.

http://www.evalbum.com/type/PORS
TeenerTim
Or we could just drill for the oil we already have! Just announcing that we are going to drill will cause an instant reduction in gas prices. chair.gif
thomasotten
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Jul 3 2008, 10:18 AM) *

Or we could just drill for the oil we already have! Just announcing that we are going to drill will cause an instant reduction in gas prices. chair.gif

I agree. I have already emailed my Senators and Congressmen telling them that our policy only hurts America.
smontanaro
QUOTE(TeenerTim @ Jul 3 2008, 01:18 PM) *

Or we could just drill for the oil we already have! Just announcing that we are going to drill will cause an instant reduction in gas prices.

How so? The people buying and selling on the futures markets are responding to perceived near term supply and demand. Announce you're going to start drilling where? Off the coasts of Florida and California? Probably three to five years before any of that comes to market. ANWR? More like ten years because of extra logistical problems caused by the arctic location. In addition, the oil companies actually have a limited amount of drilling equipment. They can only punch so many new holes in the ground at once. That stretches timeframes out as well.

Skip Montanaro

ericread
Not many responses here.

When gas hits $10.00 per gallon, I'm all over the electric conversion idea. That used to be a stupid statement, but lately it actually seems possible.

Skip is right. The deep water oil drilling ships take about 4 years to build. Right now, shipbuilders have almost a 10 year backlog for delivery of these ships. If deepwater drilling were allowed off the coasts of California and Florida (and I'm not at all sure these states would allow this to commence) it would 6 to 8 years at a minimum before any equipment would be available to start test drilling. Another 4 to 5 years after that (at a minimum) to put any of these new wells into production.

Let's be honest with whats going on with the off-shore and ANWAR approvals. The oil companies have so much untested/undrilled land locked up in leases, they won't be looking to drill in California, Florida and ANWAR for years. They just want to tie up these leases on the cheap before the existing oil company friendly administration is booted out of office.

And let's be honest, our oil company friendly administration hasn't been real good to the gas buying public these last 8 years.

It does seem that the oil speculators and the oil companies are doing real well. But like others have said, maybe that's just a coincidence...

benalishhero
I will never understand the time issue argument. Ya, it will take years. However tomorrow it will be years plus 1 day. Get government out of the way and lets produce some of our own energy.

BTW- electric cars do use fossil fuels.
ericread
QUOTE(benalishhero @ Jul 5 2008, 05:14 AM) *

BTW- electric cars do use fossil fuels.

Unless they get their electricity from Nuculear fuels, Or Solar fuels, Or Wind fuels, Or Hydroelectric fuels, Or Wave-action fuels, etc.

Fossile fuels are the easiest and most profitable for the existing energy companies to exploit, but there are plenty of other sources of electricity that have a very negligable effect on fossile fuels. At $4.00+ a gallon for gas, it may finally spur development of these resources.

The point I was trying to make on drilling is that the oil companies have hundreds of thousands of acres they have leased where they are not making any effort to place test drills. If they really wanted to exploit domestic oil, they would be drilling in these locations right now. But if higher crude oil prices create higher gasoline and diesel profit margins for the oil companies, why would they want to find a source of cheaper crude oil? Make no mistake, these are multi-national energy companies, not individuals that have any overwhelming concern for U.S (or Canadian) consumers.

Whew, I'm glad to get that off my chest... dry.gif

Joe Bob
Read the Law of Thermodynamics......A BIG engine (like a powerplant) making power is more efficient than a lot of LITTLE engines (like car engines) making the same horsepower.

PLUS, solar power can make electricity to power a home AND charge a vehicle....
brer
drilling off California?
just a reach around to make big oil happy before bush goes on permanent vacation.

thats all that is.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.