Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: intake gaskets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stateofidleness
hey guys,
i've always been slightly confused on what types of things to use
sealant, threadlocker, grease, etc on..

ive got all the stuff needed to put my engine back together (intake runners, tin, injectors, throttle body and air cleaner etc) and was wondering if someone could
list what all needed some kind of sealant or anti-seize type stuff before reinstallation.

in particular:
valve covers
intake runner gaskets
oil filler gasket

and when reinstalling the air injection tubes into the head, should i put some anti-seize stuff? and what is the correct torque for that?

thanks all..

any odds and ends i may have forgotten, feel free to add on smile.gif
G e o r g e
refer to the capt's post
stateofidleness
can i use an rtv silicone on the intake runners?
i have a lot of rtv products already so maybe what is the equivalent of curil t?
Cap'n Krusty
No. No sealer on the intake gaskets (that's what the paper is there for). Maybe a thin coat of Permatex "Ultra Blue, if you just can't stop yourself. Nothing on the cork oil filler gasket. I use a product called "Gasgacinch" for the VC gaskets, a thin coat on the VC, and a thin coat on the VC side of the gasket, air dried until they're both tacky, then pressed together. NO conventional RTV ANYWHERE on the engine. We have a name for engines "sealed" with RTV. We call 'em "leakers". The Cap'n
stateofidleness
cool thanks cap'n
Smitty911
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 3 2008, 07:23 PM) *

SNIP NO conventional RTV ANYWHERE on the engine. We have a name for engines "sealed" with RTV. We call 'em "leakers". The Cap'n

How can you tell a Chevy Mechanic worked on you 914?

Blue RTV everywhere. av-943.gif av-943.gif

Smitty
Cap'n Krusty
Or red .................... The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.