Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The doctor is in today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dr914@autoatlanta.com
770 427 2844 ext 16

Jake Raby
George is HARD CORE!!

I would be at the shop today too, but instead I am preparing to shoot two whole weeks of instructional video in the basement..
PanelBilly
Lets see if your still in.... My question is..... I have my steel flairs installed now (and they're from you). I've left the edge that turns in toward the tire the same size as I received it. Its about 1/2" or so. Jon of Everett Wa has suggested I trom them off at the top to allow for the tires. Today I studied a completed car and they had actually rolled the top of the flairs inside all the way. The guy was running 9" in the back and 7" in the front. I not sure yet, but I was planning on running 8" & 7".

Do I need to trim or roll. I already have the body ready for paint> I'm working on the 600 grit at this point and am afraid of screwing up my work. But it would be so much smarter to do it now than after painting.

What's your opinion?
r_towle
Just spent the day enjoying my wonderful family...we went to the traditional parade that all the kids look forward to, even though the oldest is 21..its still in his blood to join the family.

Watched the Redsox beat the yankees again...

Saw my brother and his daughter, they are coming tommorow for a bbq.

so, my tech question.
How do you get bbq sauce out of a pair of khakis shorts???

Rich
PanelBilly
I should have check the profile for DR and I would have seen that he was off line.....

Oh and Rich,

Buy new shorts and save the stained ones for working on the car when its really hot
r_towle
Billy,

I have not put flares on, but I will give you this advice.
Using the flared rocker panel, you line up the flares.

The flares that I have seen are all a bit different, so I dont think there is a "correct" way of doing it. Its always custom and always a bit different.

the key is to get the front valance to flow into the flare, then into the rocker, then into the rear valance.
You can cut/add/weld onto the front and rear valances to make them flared, and the rockers are available in fiberglass.

As far as the rolled edge of the fender, I would suggest you google the 914-gt to see some of the vintage pictures, or even look at the most recent parade pictures thread that includes Dr 914..George Hussey's 916 (factory applied flares) to get an idea of what the vintage flares looked like.

Rich
Rich
PanelBilly
Click to view attachment
My concern is the lip that may rub the tire at the top of the flair.
r_towle
really will depend upon your choice of rubber/wheels and spacing.
If you have the wheels, mount them up.
If you have any intention of putting wheels that will fill it up...roll it now.
Its alot easier to fix now then after the paint.

Cover the outer fender with two or three layers of masking tape.
Use a hardwood dolly and a wooden hammer with a big face.
The wood will condiserably reduce the stretching of the metal and with a big hammer face and a big dolly you will also reduce the pinpoint damage of a smaller hammer.

It will take longer, but if done right, no body work, or very little after your done. The tape will also cushion the blow...

Just trying to keep you from having to sand all over again...but you may need to flat sand it with a long board/guide coat to be sure its straight.

The other option...take a die grinder and cut the lip off so its really small...1/8 inch...

Rich
SirAndy
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 4 2008, 06:18 PM) *

roll it ... you should be able to do so without messing up your prep work ...
bye1.gif Andy
PanelBilly
I don't have the wheels yet so I guess it's better to allow for the most clearance. I'm thinking that I'd rather cut the lip off than roll the metal and mess up all my work.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 4 2008, 07:18 PM) *

Click to view attachment

Billy,

When you put color on that thing are you going to jam it first or just shoot everything since it is stripped to nothing?
Heeltoe914
I always get the rims and spacers on and all lined up as I am installing fenders. The 914 is know to have a big differences from the left to the right. If you do it this way you are sure to make the gaps equal. but make sure you add the weight of the trans and the Eng, so the car sits as it would on the ground. Also try and set the camber as that affects the rear a lot in cornering.
If your not able to go at it this way get a friends car up in the air and grab a measuring tape and get it as close as you can with the rims you plan on using.
And finally keep in mind you can only look at one side of the car at a time so 100% equal is not really needed.
PanelBilly
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 4 2008, 07:27 PM) *

QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 4 2008, 06:18 PM) *

roll it ... you should be able to do so without messing up your prep work ...
bye1.gif Andy

I've got a friend who knows how to do body work. Last week he finished up a 59 Lister that's up for sale $750,000!!! I'll get him to come over and give me a hand. Rolling over is going to give me a stronger edge.

Hell I didn't want to paint the car yet anyways.
Bleyseng
you have until Thursday nite to get her done in time for WCR08....

come on down!
ericread
I spent the entire day at Laguna Beach. Just got back. Happy belated 4th of July Dr.!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.