Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 SC Oil Gauge in a Getty Dash question....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Joe Bob
Getty dash in my 74....has a 911 SC oil pressure gauge. I need a sender for the idiot light and pressure......I've done this in the past but for the life of me, I can't find any reference to the right VDO combo sensor on the web.

Anyone got any old reference books or a memory that isn't like mine? Everything online references STOCK applications....

Glenn at Pelican came up dry...so I'm not a complete idiot.
markb
If you figure it out, lemme know. I need the same thing for my car.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(! @ Jul 5 2008, 07:09 PM) *

Getty dash in my 74....has what looks like a 911 SC oil pressure gauge. I need a sender for the idiot light and pressure......I've done this in the past but for the life of me, I can't find any reference to the right VDO combo sensor on the web.

Anyone got any old reference books or a memory that isn't like mine? Everything online references STOCK applications....

Glenn at Pelican came up dry...so I'm not a complete idiot.

Get me the part number off the gauge. I can get it cross referenced to the correct sender.

SirAndy
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Jul 5 2008, 04:36 PM) *

Get me the part number off the gauge. I can get it cross referenced to the correct sender.

agree.gif

part number of the gauge, then look up in the chart below ...
bye1.gif Andy

markb
I think the problem is IIRC, the SC's have separate senders for the pressure & the idiot light. I'd like to find a sender that can do both.
Joe Bob
it's for an 82 SC gauge....and Mark is right, it's NOT a stock sender.

Getty's still out of business right? Somebody has done this and is running an SC gauge in a Getty Dash....

BTW, the idiot light works....if I need to plumb a pressure and temp sensor, that's fine. I just don't have the time for the R&R, I need to get this fixed and then ship the car.

I assumed the PO x 2 had done this....obviously that didn't happen....
markb
The temp sender is in the standard taco plate. The problem I have with my triple gauge is I can either have an idiot light OR a pressure gauge. I'd like to find a sender that does both gauge AND light.
r_towle
Mike,
Contact Aaron, he did something like this.

Rich
computers4kids
Here's what the 911SC guy from the bird board sold me with his NOS gauge for my Ghetty dash. Won't swear it's correct...just going off his advice.
Joe Bob
That's a pressure and idiot light sender, which is what I'm looking for. Does it have a VDO serial number?

Temperture has to be supplied by a dipstick sender as the taco plate is NLA.
904svo
VDO Dual sender units

VDO 360-006 = 0-80PSI for gauge 7PSI for light #30/2
VDO 360-023 = 0-150PSI for gauge 7Psi for light #30/23
Thread size is M10X1 on both

Hope this helps you
Joe Bob
How do you plumb it? Pipe thread and a splitter? Got a pic?

Duh, did a google, http://www.gettydesign.com/contact.html
904svo
QUOTE(! @ Jul 5 2008, 08:05 PM) *

How do you plumb it? Pipe thread and a splitter? Got a pic?

Jake at Aircooled has a flexable line on which it can be mounted or
you can get a M10X1 from a paintball gun store.
Joe Bob
hmmmm....back to square one.....

http://www.gettydesign.com/PDF%20Files/200...l%20Catalog.pdf

The catalog is all 911, Boxster, 996 and water pumper crap.....

904svo...thanks, for your help I'm looking for a SINGLE sender with dual outlet that runs BOTH the pressure and idiot light. I think the 30/2 will do it...

I have one for a VDO specific gauge in my Type I VW motor with a VDO gauge....what I need is the same that talks to a Porsche 911 SC Gauge, a little different.

hate to buy one and not know....Crap, I knew I'd be the first that missed Dave Sheppard's expertise.....he was up on this stuff....

I'll pull the trigger on Monday.
markb
Mike, I think I have a taco plate on the core 2.0 at the shop.
Joe Bob
Very cool, that takes care of the temp.....gotta research the pressure and idiot light combo sender. Never assume that someone else took care of something. Check your email I sent you a link, thanks for your continuous help.

I'm going to contact "e gauges" on Monday. I need to get his settled prior to shipping the car up north.
markb
Looks like this is the one we need.
Thanks 904svo!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(! @ Jul 5 2008, 08:21 PM) *

That's a pressure and idiot light sender, which is what I'm looking for. Does it have a VDO serial number?

The taco plate is NLA? Mark has some, and I have a new set. The SC had separate senders, and that's what you'll have to do. Furthermore, the sender for the gauge has a very large thread, and you're gonna have to make an adapter with the same thread as an axle nut. The Cap'n
Joe Bob
The temp sender is/was there...just not hooked up to the gauge in the dash...another duh.

The pressure sender comes in either 1/4 NPT or metric M10x1K ......if I remember correctly I have to plumb a hose to where the idiot light sender gets a read and connect this dual sender to the end....THEN I get a pressure signal 0-80 psi AND the minimum 7 psi at idle for the on/off idiot light signal....

RIGHT?

I'm thinking this is it.... $25 plus shipping....

link
IPB Image

But this can't be right because I'm an idjut....at least everyone thinks so.... blink.gif
marks914
Guys,

VDO Dual sender units

VDO 360-023 = 0-150PSI for gauge 7Psi for light #30/23
Thread size is M10X1 on both

Modern VDO gauge senders actually work backwards from the old ones. Its worth a shot, but I do not think its right.

Mark
Joe Bob
I just pulled the sender off of my T1 and it's the 30/2, 0-80PSI gauge.

It's hooked up backwards from the recommended wiring diagram. It works....but it's hooked to a VDO

What would you recommend for an 911 SC gauge?

BTW, here's the VDO gauge I have in BAD TUB.

IPB Image
Bleyseng
QUOTE(! @ Jul 5 2008, 08:21 PM) *

Jake has a ton of taco plates for sale too....$30 IIRC
marks914
We do alot of modern internals upgrades for 911s, mostly for v8s.
If you want to run a single sender, you will need to put a new VDO gauge in there, with the appropriate sender.
We take a new (or your old) vdo gauge and put it in the can. It is usually $85 with us providing the new guts, $65 with yours. We can supply the sender as well.
That includes a new vinyl overlay for the nomenclature, we can get it screened as well.
The only down side is that the oil pressure will read down instead of up.

Mark

IPB Image
Joe Bob
Hmmm, I'll let the buyer know his alternatives. Thank you for your help.

Do you need any cores? I have like five or six speedos, tachs, and other miscellaneous vdo gauges just sitting.
kerensky
QUOTE(computers4kids @ Jul 5 2008, 06:32 PM) *

Here's what the 911SC guy from the bird board sold me with his NOS gauge for my Ghetty dash. Won't swear it's correct...just going off his advice.

OOOH! I have a question! The two contacts on the back of that sender are marked 'G' and 'WK'. Which one runs the idiot light, and which one goes to the gauge? I have one almost identical to that on my VW to add some Audi gauges, but I don't know which is which...

Glad I bumped into this thread...
markb
I think the G is for gauge.
kerensky
QUOTE(markb @ Jul 7 2008, 12:35 AM) *

I think the G is for gauge.
I think so, too, but you know how translations are sometimes. wink.gif Anyone else think differently, or better yet, know for sure? smile.gif
Joe Bob
You'll know right away...the gauge either works or it doesn't....if it doesn't (I'm NEVER surprised as my toast ALWAYS lands peanut butter side down) just swap the wires.

It's just a switch and won't fry if hooked up wrong. I have two of them and they are hooked up opposite of each other, I'm convinced they did it to just piss me off.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.