Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: hot summer days
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
minnesota loon
Does the engine run cooler at high rpms or low rpms? My car runs just below the red line on the temp gauge. About in line with the m on the word temp. It stays fairly consistent at that point.
toon1
HIgher RPM's, to a point. 3200-3400 seems to be the sweet spot.

I don't notice huge diferences in the engine temps between summer and winter.

Although summertime temps will not stablize as easy under load than winter. For all other normal driving conditions, they are about the same.
hcdmueller
The temp guage that came with the car is for oil temp. My 76 always seemed to be close to the same temp as yours. From what I have heard the 75 and 76 years tend to run a little hotter.
6freak
QUOTE(hcdmueller @ Jul 7 2008, 12:35 AM) *

The temp guage that came with the car is for oil temp. My 76 always seemed to be close to the same temp as yours. From what I have heard the 75 and 76 years tend to run a little hotter.

Higher revs builds more heat!! plain and simple.your running hot
ericread
OK, we have two opinions here. Toon1 says that 3200-3400 rpm is the sweet spot. My 74 2.0L FI system seems to run coolest at between 3200 and 3400 rpm also.

ncdmueller; You mention that higher revs generate additional heat. Do you consider 3400 rpm "higher revs" or are you talking about revs over 3500 rpm?

Anybody else want to chime in here?

Eric Read
Root_Werks
There are reeeeeealy tiny little tiny small little numbers on your temp gauge just out of sight unless you look at it from the side. Get a flash light and have a look. Most find the begining of the red section is only 240 degrees.

Oil doesn't even boil out moister until it hits 210 which is where you want it to run.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.