Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hard starting
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porsche914va2
My 1975 1.8 has had all the EFI removed ( don't scream) I saved all of it. I have put a weber progressive on. The carb has been adjusted and the engine runs smoother than ever. Good idle, good mid and upper RPM. Only problem is, she takes forever cranking to a start. Brand new points and condensor, good gap..plugs and wires all new. New battery, really good spark to the plugs. I tuned her by strobing the timing mark on the oval stamped spreader (left of the TDC mark) at 3200 rpms. Help me get her to start on the push of the starter button!!

LAS
Grelber
Starter Button?

You'll probably get quite a few people telling you to dump the single progressive, but to answer your question with a possible thing to do, with my dual Webers, I turn the key to the "on" position for a few seconds before starting, so the fuel pump can get up to pressure and get some gas to the carbs.

ericread
Did I read right that you installed a single carb unit? If so, the long manifold path can cause the fuel/air aerosol to seperate, creating a situation where fuel isn't properly getting to the cylinders. Thsi could cause a lean condition (only air getting to the cylinder) or a flood condition (fuel seperating form the fuel/air aerosol and as a liquid, running down the manifold into the cylinder.

If you put on dual carbs, you shouldn't see this problem.

If you have dual carbs, never mind...

Eric Read

bye1.gif
Porsche914va2
QUOTE(Porsche914va2 @ Jul 7 2008, 01:54 PM) *

My 1975 1.8 has had all the EFI removed ( don't scream) I saved all of it. I have put a weber progressive on. The carb has been adjusted and the engine runs smoother than ever. Good idle, good mid and upper RPM. Only problem is, she takes forever cranking to a start. Brand new points and condensor, good gap..plugs and wires all new. New battery, really good spark to the plugs. I tuned her by strobing the timing mark on the oval stamped spreader (left of the TDC mark) at 3200 rpms. Help me get her to start on the push of the starter button!!

LAS

I have gotten beat up pretty bad about the move to progressive. But it runs really nice. No fuel stats yet, too early to tell. But the power is not bad. I will try your suggestion, Iam sure my brain was telling me its still EFI, just turn the key.and hit the button. (I placed a starter button on the far left panel). Ill let that noisely pump run a bit next time!!
VaccaRabite
Give the gas pedal a pump or two before you hit the starter.

On my carbs, if I don't give it a little gas to start with, it takes a few seconds of cranking to start if it has been sitting for a while. If I give it a shot or two of gas, though, it fires right over.

I'm using duals, though. No experience with a single. In theory it should still work.

Zach
Porsche914va2
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 7 2008, 02:58 PM) *

Give the gas pedal a pump or two before you hit the starter.

On my carbs, if I don't give it a little gas to start with, it takes a few seconds of cranking to start if it has been sitting for a while. If I give it a shot or two of gas, though, it fires right over.

I'm using duals, though. No experience with a single. In theory it should still work.

Zach

Thanks!! When I get home this weekend, Ill let the pump run a bit longer, and give her a couple taps on the pedal...THANKS!
r_towle
If you are using a typical weber, it has no choke.
With no choke, you need to pump it quite a few times to prime the system and get it to fire.

You could add the choke circuit, go to redline weber and get the catalog...they have them or CBPerformance.

Try turning the key to the on position, then once the fuel pump has pressure, then pump it four or five times.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.