Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: vw cabrio opinions please
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dflesburg
Just bought a 1997 vw cabrio for my daughter to drive

2.0 automatic

anyhere had one? Did you like it?
r_towle
not totally familiar, but its a gret chick car.

Timing belt needs to be changed, check the manual.
Not sure which version of the motor you have, but some have issues with the timing chain adjusters...
Look at vwvortex to get the skinny on all the common issues.

Good luck
Rich
Root_Werks
Good little cars, you shouldn't have many troubles with it as long as it is cared for. Total chick car, but you bought it for your daughter so that worked out great.

driving-girl.gif
jsayre914
My wife had a white one when we got married, I think it had larger than stock tires, I remember it drove like a truck. I actually enjoyed driving it with the top down. We had a rust issue with the rear trunk. water getting in past the trunk seal and had to weld for inspection. also had a problem with the gas shocks in the top behind the vinyl, they counter the weight so it is easy to put the top back on. if your daughter cannot put the top on by herself check these out. I got a decent set from the junkyard. it made a world of difference. All around it was a good car.
Cap'n Krusty
'97 has the ABA engine, and the timing belt/tensioner job is relatively easy. 80-90 K miles or 5 years. The auto trans is the major weak point in VWs of this (or any other) era. Service every 50K miles and pray. Ignition switches fail, and it's a PITA to change. Use ONLY VW coolant of the correct variety. Takes a special tool to change the spark plugs. Use Bosch FR8DS, they work the best. Plug wires can be a problem when they get old. Have fun. The Cap'n
grantsfo
My wife had a 97 and it was one of the most poorly made VW's we have owned. Trim pieces always coming loose, seats rattling, top not working properly. Mechanically it was OK.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.