Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is this guy on crack?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
soloracer
Anyone got the balls to make the first bid?

blink.gif

3.6 Engine
GWN7
15K and flywheel and clutch are not included. laugh.gif
Hawktel
Well, I'm glad to see that such optamistic people still exist in our Great Republic today.

laugh.gif
J P Stein
I'll tell ya what.

Git yourself a 3.6L.
Send it to Rothsport for the work described (or implied). Look at the bill & get back to us. laugh.gif

I can't afford to have them boys work on my shitbox, but if I could, I would.
Curvie Roadlover
To me, it makes no sense to have such a high starting bid. Now no one will bid and he's out the listing cost. blink.gif If he had no minimum bid but a high reserve, he would at least find out what someone would be willing to pay, even if the reserve isn't met. rolleyes.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Curvie Roadlover @ Jan 27 2004, 02:14 AM)
If he had no minimum bid but a high reserve, he would at least find out what someone would be willing to pay, even if the reserve isn't met.

a listing designed for buying, not shopping. it doesn't really matter what the "current market value" is, if it's not at least $15,000 he ain't sellin'. by knowing what the seller's value is i don't have to waste any time or energy trying to figure out a value, make a bid, watch it not make reserve, decide how much i want it, really...

seems like it's appropriately valued and i don't mind having been informed what the scope of the task to put an engine like that into my car would be.

i think a substantial amount of the stuff with sky-high reserve is just using EBay as a cheap appraisal service.
tat2dphreak
[QUOTE=ArtechnikA,Jan 27 2004, 07:03 AM] [QUOTE=Curvie Roadlover,Jan 27 2004, 02:14 AM]
i think a substantial amount of the stuff with sky-high reserve is just using EBay as a cheap appraisal service. [/QUOTE]
agree.gif

I would much rather have someone have a high starting bid than play the "reserve game"

this way, only one person might bid... and he will win if he does... at least 100 people don't have to keep incrementing the bids by 5$ to get up to the hidden reserve price...

this guys should have just put a "buy it now" on there, I don't see a ton of people lining up to take a stab at this item.

but I also don't think it's OUTRAGOUSLY priced... a little high maybe, but there was a lot of work involved... this may be exactly what someone(who may have too much money) needs!

one more thing though... the feedback for the guy is on 13... don't know if I would trust 15k to someone who is a relative newbie confused24.gif
Joe Bob
Worth it for a rebuilt engine....if it has a warranty and the shop is local....297 hp? BFD, mine has 285 and it's stock with a chip and headers....got EVERYTHING for under 10K.....but it had 40,000 miles....

I ran the serial numbers and it was in a Tiptronic....so I doubt the white shoed blue hair ever hit the rev limiter.....or at least that's what I keep telling myself.
SirAndy
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 27 2004, 07:48 AM)
Worth it for a rebuilt engine....if it has a warranty and the shop is local....297 hp? BFD, mine has 285 and it's stock with a chip and headers....got EVERYTHING for under 10K.....

that's exactly what i was thinking ...

heck, olav's 3.2 makes 275HP and it ain't a race engine!

(we need a shaking head smily)
wink.gif Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 27 2004, 09:42 AM)
QUOTE(mikez @ Jan 27 2004, 07:48 AM)
..297 hp?  BFD, mine has 285 and it's stock with a chip and headers....got EVERYTHING for under 10K.....

heck, olav's 3.2 makes 275HP and it ain't a race engine!

the way it's represented in the ad, making a 3,6 fit in an early car is a big deal. i donno if '83 is "early" enough for that to be a factor. (i know my '71 would be, 'cause it's hard to find ANYTHING to fit a pre-'73...)

if we're quibbling on HP/$$ -- i donno. maybe this guy's number is too conservative. maybe it was built to make torque and doesn't turn the kind of rpm it'd take to translate that to big peak HP numbers...

if you don't think it's worth the $15k, don't bid... i don't have the $15k, so it's not a factor either way ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 27 2004, 09:52 AM)
the way it's represented in the ad, making a 3,6 fit in an early car is a big deal. i donno if '83 is "early" enough for that to be a factor. (i know my '71 would be, 'cause it's hard to find ANYTHING to fit a pre-'73...)

would it be harder to fit into a 9eleben than a 914 ???

not that i have ever put a 3.6 in a early 911, but exactly why is it so difficult?

putting a 3.6 in a 914 is more work than a 3.2 or smaller, but not worth another $5k.
implying that a 3.6 conversion into a /4 will cost you about $10k (including the engine) ...

Andy
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 27 2004, 09:58 AM)
would it be harder to fit into a 9eleben than a 914 ???

not that i have ever put a 3.6 in a early 911, but exactly why is it so difficult?

putting a 3.6 in a 914 is more work than a 3.2 or smaller, but not worth another $5k.
implying that a 3.6 conversion into a /4 will cost you about $10k (including the engine) ...

maybe. the 914 engine room is a lot wider than an early 911.

why is it difficult ? i donno - i've heard the case changes at the 3,4-l point don't fit early motor mounts. might be easy enough to just fabricate the mount you need for a car that has none - ripping out and modifying something already there could well be harder.

obviously, i don't know, because i haven't done it - if i had, i -still- wouldn't be in the market, 'cause i'd have the one i did :-) ...

but here's what it says in the ad: " Anyone who has researched the details of converting a late model motor to an early car knows that it is a HUGE job and requires extensive creative fabrication and modification. ... 3. Engine mount console set-up to fit early motor compartments. 4. All engine surround tin is modified to match late engine with early motor compartments. 5. Custom Throttle linkeage... hooks right up to factory throttle rods, eliminating need to buy and install a $400.00 throtle cable. 6. Modified oil suction pipe hooks right up to factory "s" hose. 7. Custom oil scavenge pipe with AN-16 fitting. "

i'm not sure the point you're making about a $5k premium over a 3,2 or how that adds up to a $10k 3,6 914.4 conversion ... i think if you can sell 3,6-liter 914.4 conversions for $10k you'll have to beat business away with a stick, but again - i donno ...
SirAndy
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ Jan 27 2004, 10:25 AM)
i think if you can sell 3,6-liter 914.4 conversions for $10k you'll have to beat business away with a stick, but again - i donno ...

that's what they go for around here. obviously depends on some factors, like upgrading to a 915 tranny etc. etc.

basic conversion from a /4 to 3.6 will run you about $10k to $12k,
that includes the engine, motor mounts, engine tin, oil-tank and lines plus labor.
conversion from a /4 to 3.2 will actually cost you about the same, minus some money you save on the engine itself.

but we all know it won't stop there. wink.gif
Andy
Air_Cooled_Nut
He posted the engine picture, how hard can it be to post the dyno sheet as well? blink.gif
J P Stein
Too bad that Steve Weiner doesn't come here to play.....he has a 914, a 2.7L ...natch laugh.gif. Maybe our rent is to low sad.gif

Anyhew, he'd be the guy to talk at bout the motor....IF one was serious.
Mueller
I saw today what is going to be one-bas-ass 914 track car at a local shop, remote reservoir, aluminum bodied shocks on all four corners. 18 or 19" Fikse rims (wide), the list goes on and on on the trick stuff....sorry no pictures, not my car and I don't know the owner

Not sure what /6 he has planned for it, but I hope it's big, like this 3.6 for sale..
redshift
I don't like the 3.6 sound.

M
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.