Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: My trip to the WCR '08 in Seattle ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
My GF and i are getting ready for the trip up north to the WCR in Seattle this upcoming weekend. piratenanner.gif
WCR Page

We'll be driving the scenic route, heading up north Thursday morning on 101 along the coast, through the redwoods in northern California and into Oregon.
We'll be staying at a cozy Inn on the cost in Bandon, Oregon on Thursday night.

Then off to Seattle on Friday morning. We'll most likely miss the ferry trip on Friday morning and arrive at the Hotel in Issaquah sometime in the early afternoon.

I can't wait to see ya'all ...
cheer.gif Andy

PS: My GF just got a new camera, so there will be picture'esque updates as we drive along ...
rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif We'll be looking forward to the pictures sir!
greenie
Hi Andy,

Sounds like a very nice relaxed drive.

Post lots of pictures for us.

If you can swing it continue up the Oregon coast, cross the bridge at Astoria & come in the Washington side. Check out Ilwaco Wa., very beautiful!

I think we got lucky on the weather, suppose to be 80 degrees all through the weekend.

We should be back at the hotel between 7:00 & 8:00 Friday evening so take your time.

Have fun!

Greenie

championgt1
Have a good trip. Drive careful! driving.gif
Root_Werks
You folks are in for a great drive up along the Oregon coast. Keep safe and enjoy the drive.

driving.gif
SirAndy
Oakland, CA to Bandon, OR: 467 miles, 8 hours 47 minutes

Bandon, OR to Issaquah, WA: 427 miles , 7 hours 32 minutes

driving.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
have fun! you seem to have caught some nice weather for the drive. don't forget to post the road side attractions you come across.

k
PeeGreen 914
aktion035.gif That is one of the best drives EVER. Granted I have never covered that much territory in that amount of time but sounds like fun.

At this point I'm not sure how much I am going to be around headbang.gif but I know I'll see you. piratenanner.gif drunk.gif
greenie
Andy,

Why don't you leave Wednesday night? Get a jump on the distance & make the ferry trip with us .

I think this excursion is going to be a real highlight of the event & I'd be sorry to see you miss it.

Curt
SirAndy
QUOTE(greenie @ Jul 8 2008, 08:16 AM) *

Why don't you leave Wednesday night? Get a jump on the distance & make the ferry trip with us.

what good is a "scenic" drive up the coast at night? ever watched a forest full of giant redwoods in the dark?
rolleyes.gif Andy
BKLA
Do a quick stop in Portland for a beer on your way up!!! (or a potty break...whatever....)

Would love to "formally" meet you!
Todd Enlund
Hmmm... in Seattle this time of year, twilight is until 10PM biggrin.gif
greenie
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 8 2008, 10:41 AM) *

QUOTE(greenie @ Jul 8 2008, 08:16 AM) *

Why don't you leave Wednesday night? Get a jump on the distance & make the ferry trip with us.

what good is a "scenic" drive up the coast at night? ever watched a forest full of giant redwoods in the dark?
rolleyes.gif Andy

Ya seen one redwood ya seen um all !!

We're talking beer & ferrys !( wait.. you're from san fran/oakland sheeplove.gif )

Greenie
SirAndy
QUOTE(greenie @ Jul 8 2008, 09:57 AM) *

We're talking beer & ferrys !( wait.. you're from san fran/oakland sheeplove.gif )

no fairies in oakland. they rarely make it east over the bay bridge. cheer.gif

the GF wants to see some giant, hard, woody things pointing to the sky, so a daytrip through the redwoods it is ...
biggrin.gif Andy
rhodyguy
andy, just north of Orick CA there is a great stand of redwoods to walk thru. do a search for Ladybird Johnson Grove. it's really cool. the drive up to it is a nice one too. not far off the 101. well worth the excursion.

k
Todd Enlund
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 8 2008, 10:55 AM) *

andy, just north of Orick CA there is a great stand of redwoods to walk thru. do a search for Ladybird Johnson Grove. it's really cool. the drive up to it is a nice one too. not far off the 101. well worth the excursion.

k

There's another great stand just off 101 near Crescent City on 199... only a couple miles out of the way.
Click to view attachment
And near Leggett, CA is the Chandelier Tree:
Click to view attachment
ericread
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Sorry, but it just had to be said (maps don't count).

Awesome trip. I grew up in Eugene and have bicycled doun the coast a number of times. Absolutely beautiful scenery.

Lots of blind corners, be careful out there.

Eric

NEVER MIND - YOU UPLOADED PICS AS I WAS UPLOADING THIS MESSAGE... You win!!!
rhodyguy
one other thing to watch out for. north of Orick there is a herd of roosevelt elk that graze on the side of the road at times. the area they frequent is marked with signs. the elk are pretty damn big. they make a deer look like a large dog in comparison. be on the look out. i won't drive that section of road after dark.

k
hcdmueller
The route looks great. Enjoy the trip.
Elliot Cannon
If you want redwoods and twisty road, try route 20 between Willits and Fort Bragg. You get to Fort Bragg and its 45 miles up highway 1 till it hooks up with 101 again. One of the prettiest rides and a GREAT road.
See ya there Elliot
SirAndy
spent the day today at McMark's shop to do some last minute "improvements".
like hooking up the damn 911 turn signal and high beam switch as well as the 911 windshield wiper switch and most importantly, the 911 ignition switch!

turned out OK for driving, but will need to be revisited once i get back from the WCR. i just left all the 911 wires on the stalks, even though only about half of them are actually used on the 914. that added a huge "blob" of wires under the dash. oh well, zip-ties here i come ...

getting the car ready for the drive now, we're leaving early tomorrow morning.
driving.gif driving-girl.gif Andy

PS: hey McMark, can you post the pics you took?
PeeGreen 914
piratenanner.gif Andy must be on the raod... Safe travels Andy. See you soon drunk.gif
Root_Werks
Drive man! Drive! driving.gif
SirAndy
we left oakland o'brightandearly, with roadside support from the good guys at starbucks biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
the drive up north on 101 through the bay area was uneventful. driving.gif

interesting side note: once we left the bay area, we didn't see another porsche for the next 450 miles to Bandon, OR. maybe tomorrow ... rolleyes.gif

the "valley" was burning hot, even early in the morning. thankfully, the oil temps never got over 210. and once we reached the coast in Eureka, the cool ocean breeze made the oil temps drop down to 180 and they stayed there for the rest of the drive.

before hitting Eureka, we did a quick (40 miles or so) detour to cruise through the "Avenue of the Giants". Bunch of old huge trees and shrubbery and stuff ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SGB
Car looks good
Girl looks great.
You look scary.

smile.gif
SirAndy
after Eureka, the road really cleared up. yeah! cheer.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
the car is pretty packed with stuff, both trunks and the passenger compartment. thank god the GF is tiny ... biggrin.gif

SirAndy
the coastline is really pretty and once we crossed the border into oregon, traffic got even lighter.

we stoped at a reststop for some much needed relief ...
poke.gif Andy

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
when we got back on 101 after the rest-stop, we got behind a ferrari testarossa and the two of us were playing tag for the next 50 miles or so! driving.gif driving.gif driving.gif

i won't admit to any traffic infractions here, but let's just say i gave the guy a good run for his money ... piratenanner.gif

SirAndy
finally arrived at Bandon! w00t.gif

the hotel is great, right at the beach. the rooms are *huge*!!! huh.gif
separate living room and kitchen, two bathrooms, fireplace, balcony etc. ... and the food at the restaurant was outstanding ...

we had Filet Mignon and Jameson's on the rocks for dinner, yummi.

we watched the sunset over the ocean and now i'm ready to get some sleep ...
yawn.gif Andy

PS: we'll be leaving early tomorrow and hopefully make it to Issaquawhatchamacallit in the early afternoon ...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
championgt1
Great trip so far. aktion035.gif
rhodyguy
where the road after trinidad does that climb, it's some swell driving. nice banked sweepers that can be taken at speed. enjoy the rest of your drive.

k
tdgray
Way to rock it Big A... keep on truckin'
r_towle
Looks like a great scenic trip with a few ferraris to break up the day.

Hows it running? Hows the gas mileage? Just curious what your big pig gets on the open road.

You know...they make a place right in the car for a real stereo....its right there in the dashboard right above your Ipod boom box....lol

Drive safe, enjoy the french women.

Rich
Root_Werks
QUOTE(SGB @ Jul 10 2008, 10:32 PM) *

Car looks good
Girl looks great.
You look scary.

smile.gif

av-943.gif

Andy, you the man for driving that teener all the way up and your GF is awesome for coming along. Good times!

driving.gif
Root_Werks
Andy! Where are you guys?
Rand
Andy rolled in hours ago. Question is, Dan, where were YOU??? tongue.gif Missed you there tonight! (Guess you won't be saying you "stayed at a Holiday Inn last night" eh?) Lot's of teeners and great times in Issaquah this afternoon/evening! Some pics will show up in the other thread(s).
PeeGreen 914
Hey Dan... where were you? I was even there... no baby yet sad.gif

It was fun meeting everyone. I hope to see you all tomorrow night if I can get out there again.
So.Cal.914
QUOTE(SGB @ Jul 10 2008, 10:32 PM) *

Car looks good
Girl looks great.
You look scary.

smile.gif

agree.gif Have a good time. smile.gif
Root_Werks
Michelle and I have the 914 packed and on our way. Yeah, only being 35 miles out, it's just easier to stay home at night. wink.gif Plus we had to pick up the kid last night.
SirAndy
we got in at around 5pm yesterday. i'll post some pics later today, i'm getting ready for the Mt. Raindeer run this AM biggrin.gif

bye1.gif Andy
Gint
Have fun Andy! Get more pics...
SirAndy
i've been sick like a dog all day. took two bites out of that pizza friday night and the rest is history.

went on the drive today, took tons of pics, felt like sh*t ...
dry.gif Andy
porschecb
Hang in there dude! I can come get you if need be sad.gif

Wait!!!!!!!! what!!!!!!
PeeGreen 914
You were feeling sick? You're good at hiding it. Still great to meet you. Hope you feel better and the rest of your trip is great.
dinomium
sorry I missed you this time, Andy, again. Hope you feel better.
rhodyguy
andy must be wearing 1000spf sunblock on his head (fresh mowhawk). a few sunburns as a result of a day of clear skies at port gamble on fri boosted by the run yest. not on andy tho.

ps don't wear sandals and forget to lather up your feet.

terry(teri?) morrow, i'll cut some fresh aloe for you when you get here today.
KG1500S
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 10 2008, 10:35 PM) *

Where exactly did you find one of those Australia export market only tach's? They're pretty rare, I've been looking all over for one.

Sounds like a fun drive. Hope you make it home safe and sound.

r_towle
You know Andy.
I took a three day trip in the teener. First day was all with the roof off.
I felt like crap the next day, I am sure I got to much sun.
I put the roof on for the next two days and it was better.

Just a thought. I also bought a hat (didnt have one the first day)

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.