Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: help!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jea69
as you may remember i bought a 1970 1.7 , showed some nice pics and all, well hers how nice the car is ; was out driving today when selecting 1st it jumps out of gear ,now its stuck in reverse, trying to shift it only locks the tranny ,so the car wont even move, can move the shift fork at the tranny end in 4-5th ,but not push /pull it headbang.gif should i blow up the car? annyone have an idea? confused24.gif
TravisNeff
check your trans mounts if the bolts have come loose the trans/engine will hang on the bar.
jea69
QUOTE(Travis Neff @ Jul 8 2008, 06:53 PM) *

check your trans mounts if the bolts have come loose the trans/engine will hang on the bar.

it hangs in there just fine, so i suspect its innside the box sad.gif
r_towle
check the shifter linkage to start.
Its prone to alot of wear.

Then check the rear portion of the tranny. Remove the shifter rod and try to shift it by hand from the tranny.
They can get stuck sometimes.
The front and rear cup bushings tend to just disintegrate all of the sudden on hot days, they are old.
check gear oil level and fill it.
If you remove the bar and still cannot shift it into gear by hand, its inside.

Its not that bad, you can remove the rear cover of the tranny while its still in the car and fix the issue without removing the whole tranny.

jea69
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 8 2008, 07:16 PM) *

check the shifter linkage to start.
Its prone to alot of wear.

Then check the rear portion of the tranny. Remove the shifter rod and try to shift it by hand from the tranny.
They can get stuck sometimes.
The front and rear cup bushings tend to just disintegrate all of the sudden on hot days, they are old.
check gear oil level and fill it.
If you remove the bar and still cannot shift it into gear by hand, its inside.

Its not that bad, you can remove the rear cover of the tranny while its still in the car and fix the issue without removing the whole tranny.

i just replaced all the balls n bushes, disconected the bar ,stil no good ,guess i need to go inside
r_towle
how is the gear oil?

Rich
jea69
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 8 2008, 09:03 PM) *

how is the gear oil?

Rich

when i took off the inspektion plate at the bottom of the end cover what came out was black as ****,as far as level it came out some when i replaced the rew light switch, it seems like it is stuck in revers and when mowing the shiftfork i select another gear on top of that ,without deselecting revers if you know what i mean, the gearbox just go into a complete lock, and letting out the clutch just kills the engine
jea69
i opened the box today and found the problem, its a freak accident ,when it popped out of 1st the shift stick flew towards revers ,selecting rev and 2nd gear at the same time ,leaving the internal shift finger in 2nd-3rd gate,making me unable to deselect revers giving me two options rev or locked dry.gif ,the easy solution i found out had been to drop the oil ,remove the shift fork cover behind the backup switch, with a screwdriver put the 1st-rev selector in neutral, top it up and drive, but now i get to see the gear box from the inside biggrin.gif ,the sync`n dogs are all good btw, the 1st wasnt properly selected due to wear in the cage/shiftfinger,so i have some welding to do wile waiting for the gearbox gaskets to arive beer.gif
finaly it is good weather here in norway and my car is in pieces barf.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.