Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Factory speaker pods?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
klikkid3
Hi all brand new owner here and I am taking on the audio project this weekend. I have a 73 914-4 1.7fi if that helps at all. So the radio was no problem at all and I am about to put my infinity 4x6 kappa series into the pods. I removed the pods only to find that the drivers side has a black vinyl fabric covering the inside of the speaker opening, and its held in place by white plastic rivets where the speakers mounting screws would go. Has anyone seen this before, will it be a sin against 914's all over the world if I pull it out? What are your thoughts.

Thanks
Phill
seanery
neither of mine had that idea.gif
jonferns
Maybe a dealer radio delete?

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
Cevan
Mine had the black plastic covering the grill held in place with plastic rivets, and no antenna. I assumed mine was a radio delete car and that the black plastic kept you from seeing the heater hoses behind the grills.

The threaded brass inserts are behind the plastic. I used the same speakers in mine and they didn't sound too good. I ended up getting the aftermarket speaker pods from James at Appearance and Performance and using 6 1/2" speakers.
klikkid3
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 8 2008, 02:16 PM) *

Mine had the black plastic covering the grill held in place with plastic rivets, and no antenna. I assumed mine was a radio delete car and that the black plastic kept you froming seeing the heater hoses behind the grills.

The threaded brass inserts are behind the plastic. I used the same speakers in mine and they didn't sound too good. I ended up getting the aftermarket speaker pods from James at Appearance and Performance and using 6 1/2" speakers.

Thankyou for the input, I was kicking the idea around to sell the 4x6's for a profit on ebay and pick up the infinity kappa 6.5 3 way speakers and just hang on to the factory grills.

Thanks again,
Phill
jsayre914
agree.gif I got a pair of pods from the member vendor section here 6.5 is better
QUOTE(klikkid3 @ Jul 9 2008, 04:41 PM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 8 2008, 02:16 PM) *

Mine had the black plastic covering the grill held in place with plastic rivets, and no antenna. I assumed mine was a radio delete car and that the black plastic kept you froming seeing the heater hoses behind the grills.

Thankyou for the input, I was kicking the idea around to sell the 4x6's for a profit on ebay and pick up the infinity kappa 6.5 3 way speakers and just hang on to the factory grills.

Thanks again,
Phill

klikkid3
I just looked through the member vendor section and I couldnt find the speaker pods anyone have have the link. I saw a set on ebay for 85$

Thanks
morph
QUOTE(klikkid3 @ Jul 9 2008, 02:32 PM) *

I just looked through the member vendor section and I couldnt find the speaker pods anyone have have the link. I saw a set on ebay for 85$

Thanks

Our website is www.914ap.com and all of our products are listed on our site. You can save 5% if you mention 914world when you order.
rhodyguy
most of the oem speaker housing are brittle with age and it can be a hassle to retro fit non-oem speakers. get a set of james' pods (loaded with speakers) hook up the wires and forget it.

k
ruddyboys
On mine the little brass inserts are lose, the plastic is not cracked, what can I use to stop them from turning with the screws?
seanery
gorilla glue - but it won't last forever.
RJMII
QUOTE(ruddyboys @ Jul 10 2008, 12:29 PM) *

On mine the little brass inserts are lose, the plastic is not cracked, what can I use to stop them from turning with the screws?

JB kwik is another option.
klikkid3
Little update to the original post, I sold the 4x6 and got the 6.5's shelved the original pods and bought the 6.5 pods on ebay, and waiting to arrive. In the meantime I applied dynomat to the exposed metal behind the pods. I am trying to get every bit of bass I can out of the these things. Have any of you looked in to small speaker enclosures that fit to the back of the speaker. It is supposed to increase bass response. Anyone have any input about these?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.