Full Version: Batteries.. watcha cw's using these days
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
tod914
Think my battery on the 74 is on the way out. What standard batteries
are you all using?
Joe Bob
Even the CWs like the Optima.....
PeeGreen 914
My best friends dad has a first place concours 71 Mach One that has an optima with a case over it. It looks just like the Autolite that came with the car. Not sure where he found it but I would imagine you could find it searching ebay or google. Dry cell batteries are the best thing for any classic car.
914Sixer
I bought an Interstate. They had to go to the distributor to get it though.
orthobiz
Optima.
But I resent the "concours weenie" label.

I prefer to be just a weenie.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(orthobiz @ Jul 20 2008, 06:29 PM) *

Optima.
But I resent the "concours weenie" label.

I prefer to be just a weenie.

Paul

Biz,
I would never call you a CONCOURS WEENIE! Because you have an Optima. That precludes you. If you're not willing to splash acid, you're NOT a concours weenie. No harm, no foul.
Pat
1970 Neun vierzehn
Old school.

This one came from a FIRESTONE store, then I took the stickers and labels off.

As far as maintenance, the battery is removed from the car during the winter and sits with a 1 Amp charger periodically.
When the car is driven, the battery and its environment are inspected and monitered religiously. I learned of the acid-trickle down syndrome back in the late '70s.

Paul
Cap'n Krusty
The cars came with a variety of European brands of bateries, whatever VW had on hand that day. AFIK, none were ever available in the uS, except maybe Bosch, but I never saw a Bosch battery in any of the new cars that passed through the dealership where I worked. BTW, nice engine compartment. Almost too nice to be original. Too bad about the non-stock heater blower hoses ............... The Cap'n
1970 Neun vierzehn
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 31 2008, 06:52 PM) *

Too bad about the non-stock heater blower hoses ............... The Cap'n

blush.gif They have been replaced with the correct, black, OEM German plastic.

Paul
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 31 2008, 08:52 PM) *

The cars came with a variety of European brands of bateries, whatever VW had on hand that day. AFIK, none were ever available in the uS, except maybe Bosch, but I never saw a Bosch battery in any of the new cars that passed through the dealership where I worked. BTW, nice engine compartment. Almost too nice to be original. Too bad about the non-stock heater blower hoses ............... The Cap'n

My 72 came originaly with a DETA. White box with "DETA" inscribed, I think. I've used Bosche, Champion & Interstate so far. The Bosche because it was sooo German, but lasted the least. The others because I could peel the label off & they were just white. I'll go with Interstate again this time, because I never had a hint of leakage with the last. Actually, other than the original DETA, none of them leaked, except in extreme use.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.