Whats a 914 engine case worth?
Are they all the same 1.7 - 20 ?
SirAndy
QUOTE(joea9146 @ Jan 27 2004, 11:50 AM)
Whats a 914 engine case worth?
Are they all the same 1.7 - 20 ?

GA 2.0L is the most desireable.
don't know the going rate ...

i guess 1.7L and 1.8L are pretty much the same.
about $300 for a running engine with unknown guts,
so the case would be what ? $50-$100 itself ???

Andy
tat2dphreak
the cases themselves are all the same... it;s the other parts that make the GA more expensive... empty case 50-100 would be my guess, based on ebay...

Type 4 info
SirAndy
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jan 27 2004, 11:59 AM)
the cases themselves are all the same...

nope, AFAIK they're not the same ...
i know 1.7L/1.8L cases need some machinework to fit the 2.0L cylinders correctly.

but you're right, it's mostly the parts that are attached to the GA case that make the real difference.

Andy
Hawktel
About the same as a case of Bud, Little less than a case of Polygamy Ale, Little more than a case of Keystone.

drunk.gif
tat2dphreak
from the web page I mentioned:

http://tunacan.net/t4/tech/case.htm

Case differences

Now selecting among Type 4 cases is actually pretty easy: they all are structurally the same. The only differences are the applications, which I will discuss in a moment.

I'm pretty confident that the cylinders from a 2.0 can drop into a 1.7, and I'm sure that they will slip into a 1.8...

the only machine work I know of is for 1.7 HEADS... they aren't big enough for the cylinders and need to be flycut...

now, I could be grossly misinformed, it wouldn't be the first time(today) I've been wrong... it would be nice if someone who's looked at a bunch of these disassembled would chime in and tell me what exactly would have to be machined on the case for a 1.7/1.8 to fit 2.0 cylinders?
J P Stein
I gots a case of 914. So far it's cost me around 25K.
It's "worth" about half that. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Jan 27 2004, 12:43 PM)
now, I could be grossly misinformed, it wouldn't be the first time(today) I've been wrong... it would be nice if someone who's looked at a bunch of these disassembled would chime in and tell me what exactly would have to be machined on the case for a 1.7/1.8 to fit 2.0 cylinders?

now, I could be grossly misinformed wink.gif

but what i have heard is that because of the different stroke between the 1.7/1.8 (66) and the 2.0 (71) one has to open up the case a bit where the "sleeve" of the cylinder slides into the case if one would fit a 2.0L crank and rods and cylinders and pistons into a 1.7/1.8 ...

where are the engine gurus when you need 'em?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.