Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How many are left?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jwade
As proud owners of a assorted numbers of 914's, we've all walked through junk yards in a never ending search for parts. As the years go bye, the numbers of 914's has dwindled the parts have become scarce or expensive.

Living in SoCal, I have only seen a handful in the nine months that I've owned my car. And several weeks can go bye between sightings.
This brings me to the question.

How many 914's are left? And is there any way to find out?

Just wondering icon14.gif

John
"If the tops on, it must be parked"
Bleyseng
My guess is over 1000 sixes and 10,000 4's, were talking about running, driving cars not sitting in the backyard cars.
Geoff driving.gif
Mark Henry
Hard to say confused24.gif

How many and what countries were 914's sold in?
SirAndy
most went to the US, only a few (compared to US) in europe.
and in the US, CA was one of the biggest markets.
judging from my own 914 sightings here in the bay area,
there are still a lot of them out there. i see them frequently (people i don't know).
as mentioned earlier, in six month here i see more 914 than i saw in 30+ years in germany ...

brad has exact numbers on how many were sold where in what year.

Andy
vortrex
here's the actual production numbers.

http://www.dgi.net/914/tech/production.html
Bleyseng
Here in the NW people bought them, at least the 1.7L's, like they were expensive Karmann Ghia's, basically throw away cars. The 2.0L cars were treated better, maintained, like they were "real" Porsches. Women bought alot of them because they were fun, "VW'S", and sportscars. I only knew 2 guys who bought six cars and they were from well to do families, went to the right schools and lived in gated communities. 'course they had the best parties and eventually wrecked their Porsches sad.gif
Most of them in the NW have died of rust! I see mostly 2.0L cars now that were maintained and garaged. Sure there are some parked in the backyard rusting away but those are toast.
I still think there are only 10-15K left...out of the 115k built.
Geoff
Mark Henry
Sorry, I meant to say, in what countries were the 914 sold and how many were sold in each country?
I knew the production numbers.

Go figure, but there are two 914 restorer's in Oshawa with 100 or so dead 914's between them. Maybe 20-30 runners in the province of Ontario, might be more. My teen is from British Columbia the other side of the country, it was a good condition garage queen till I put it back on the road. Who know how many others like it are lurking out there.

Where the heck is Oshawa? About 30 minutes east of Toronto, I'm another 30 minutes east. Every 2nd GMC or Chevy truck you see on the road was built in Oshawa.
driving.gif
olav
I thought Oshawa was the capital of Canada?

wink.gif
Mark Henry
QUOTE(olav @ Mar 24 2003, 12:23 PM)
I thought Oshawa was the capital of Canada?

wink.gif

Ha ha ha! laugh.gif

Ottawa is our nations capital.

It's on the Quebec border, much like your capitol is on the division of the north and south, ours is on the division of English and French Canada.

(I know, I know, I saw the wink.gif )
GWN7
I read that 914's were not available in Canada till 1972. I have only met 2 other 914 owners here and I have been told about 5 or 6 other cars. So I'm guessing there might be 30-40 other cars here. I know there isn't any in any of the wrecking yards. (I looked) smile.gif
seanery
I have 2 of them...

...SO, at least 2! cool.gif
boxstr
Look at the number of them for sale in Calif alone, in the recycler.com classifieds.
Also count the ones that go on and off of ebay. Plus the number of people who are on this list and the other 914 specific lists. I would say that there are still alot of them out there.
I currently am down to 5.
CCLinLOO
Bleyseng
So Craig, whats your guess then? 10,000? 20,000?
Geoff
Porsche Rescue
I just sold one so I am down to 3 (trying to get down to 2, see 914 Club Classifieds). That makes a minimum of 9 in our little Oregon suburb alone, Bruce Allert's brother-in-law Barrett has one too!
Bleyseng
What about JamieRust, doesn't he have about 10 914 in Monmouth?
Geoff
Porsche Rescue
I was only referring to the town of Lake Oswego, not all of Oregon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.