Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: MegaSquirt for 1.8?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RD Evans
Does anyone have a MS project underway for a 1.8? Can the stock L-Jet components be used?
Mueller
Keep:
stock injectors,
stock intake plenum and tubes,
stock dual relay for fuel pump & injectors,
stock resistors (4 pack near battery)

Get rid of:
AFM (air flow meter-there is one install on a BMW that kept his, but too much work, IMHO)
stock tps

Add:
New "full range" TPS
O2 sensor (heated or wide band, or none at all like my first MS install)
Air intake temp sensor(stock one is part of the AFM)

My 1911 (big bore 1.8) was MS'd using pretty much the same keep/throw away/add structure above.
I did swap out the 1.8 intake plenum for a 2.0 intake plenum, but I only did that since I prefer the design of the 2.0 plenum and location of the throttle body (the intake tubes are the same ID, but the location is a tad bit off so they must be tweaked to line up correctly.)
DNHunt
Get rid of ECU

I used the Megasquirt relay board on my 2.0l. It makes the hook up easier. I let Megasquirt control the fuel pump.

Dave
Mueller
Get rid of ECU

oh yea, I forgot that one smile.gif

the L-jets come with a seperate dual relay assembly which functions fine.....now that I think of it, I'd sell the stock relay (suckers cost $75 brand new I think) and go with using the regular 914 relay board or the MS relay board as you did.

I have a new MS relay board(PCB only), but I have yet to get all of the supporting components.
RD Evans
Mike-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you considering building some MS boards for resell? If so, I might be interested in working with you to add MS to my 1.8. Only seems to make sense, because you have already done it and it would be worth some $$$ to avoid the aggrivation factor that I will go through doing it on my own. I'm a few months away from the project and may tear down the 1.8 and upgrade it to a 2056. I suppose the MS should work ok for this size engine?

Thanks!
tat2dphreak
just out of curiosity, not trying to hijack the thread, but how much does a MS setup(converting from carbs) cost?
Joe.D
Megasquirt Info

Its in the FAQ.
tat2dphreak
wow, thanks! that seems like a great deal! it will have to be a later project! beerchug.gif
DNHunt
Whether it's a good deal or not depends on a lot of stuff. Don't get me wrong, I believe in the MS program, but there are plenty of costs. Time, money and probably frustration. The money depends on how elaborate you get and how much stuff you already have.

At a minimum you will need:
1) the board and components ~$150
2) wire, connectors, hoses and various odds and ends ~$50
3) laptop ~$0-$1500
4) throttle position switch ~$10-$50
This gets you a fuel injection computer you have to tune by the seat of your pants or on a dyno
5) Dyno time ~$150-200
with this setup it needs to be mounted in or near the engine bay which = HOT (not good)

To make it nice you need all of the above plus:
1) Wide band O2 (allows you to tune richer than stoich which we need), (can run closed loop) ~$175 used
2) Relay board (get the brain someplace cool) $50
3) Dyno time ~$150-200

These are just guesses and there are a lot of different ways to go. Count on it costing more than you plan on and taking more time than you think. So what's new.

I have a complete breakdown on my build on my website (link at the bottom)

Dave
RD Evans
I know the frustration factor will be HUGE if I undertake the project myself. I need to change the single carb to "something" and the choices are dual carbs or FI. I don't think there is a huge difference in cost between the two options. The upside to carbs is that I can find someone local who understands them. With the MS, I think the car could perform better as a daily driver and if I'm going to invest my time learning a fuel system, I think I would prefer the FI. I just need to find a Mega Squirt "consultant" and may for their knowledge and for them keeping me out of trouble.
RD Evans
Ooopps..typo. I meant to say PAY for their knowledge.
AlexO
I haven't heard any mention of the flyback board yet. Has anyone used it? Or are y'all just adding the resistors to the injectors?
--Alex
DNHunt
Guys

The resources (consultants) are on the MS boards. The help is great. I had never done an electronics project in my life but I wanted to lean as well as use a FI system. MS was perfect. It's just takes time to research and you have to work slowly and carefully.

I didn't use the flyback board. I decided to use resistors in series with the injectors. It works just fine.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.