Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Gearbox noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I recently installed a used gearbox into my car. Everything works fine about it, except that I when I am in first gear it makes that sound that gearboxes normally make when they are in reverse. I actually kind of like it, but I thought I would ask if this is a sign of something about to go seriously wrong. BTW, why do gearboxes sound different in reverse?
Demick
Reverse noise is sometimes from straight cut gears. 914 has straight cut gears for reverse.
Dr Evil
Demick hit it on the head, rev is straight cut = noisy, 1st is helical cut = less noisy. I would be concerned about the noise. Why did you need to swap boxes in the first place?
thomasotten
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 15 2008, 11:44 AM) *

Demick hit it on the head, rev is straight cut = noisy, 1st is helical cut = less noisy. I would be concerned about the noise. Why did you need to swap boxes in the first place?

I was told that it was "perfect". It leaks a bit of oil, but other than the noise, it is OK.
BMXerror
Doc, correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that strait cut gears are louder because there is nothing to control the thrust. I.E. Helical gears push the gear and shaft to it's endplay limit. Strait cuts don't so they float and cause a whine. If it sounds the same, I'd think you have a thrust issue on that gear. Is there some kind of thrust bearing or something on 1st gear, doc?
Mark D.
P.S. My new engine has strait cut cam gears... Sounds awesome!
Demick
Thrust doesn't really have anything to do with it. It's simply how the gears mesh. Each tooth on a helical cut gear meshes gradually over a fairly large angle, so you don't hear each tooth mesh. Each tooth on a straight cut gear meshes across the width at the same time, so you can hear each tooth mesh.
Eric_Shea
Are you sure you don't have a 915 knob on the shift lever? biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 15 2008, 06:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jul 15 2008, 11:44 AM) *

I was told that it was "perfect". It leaks a bit of oil, but other than the noise, it is OK.

Oh, well, if he says it is perfect, it must be rolleyes.gif Seriously, there is no way it should be sounding like that in 1st. There are a few easily fixable, and easily incorrectly installable parts for 1st, but go too long and you will start to booger up more costlier parts.

BMX, its how Demick said, yet again wink.gif
QUOTE(thomasotten @ Jul 15 2008, 08:18 AM) *

I recently installed a used gearbox into my car. Everything works fine about it, except that I when I am in first gear it makes that sound that gearboxes normally make when they are in reverse. I actually kind of like it, but I thought I would ask if this is a sign of something about to go seriously wrong. BTW, why do gearboxes sound different in reverse?

well if you want to get rid of it run a quart of duralube in it. i had a noise really bad in 5th put duralube in it and i havent been easy on the tranny and the noise still went away. my dad did the same thing with another tranny that had been in a 914 that was in a wreck and it was making a noise and it took care of the noise in that one too
Dr Evil
Ya, its amazing how lubricant can get rid of gear noise wink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.