Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 SHOOTOUT IN MARINA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Pages: 1, 2
drgchapman
The Shootout is less than 3 weeks away. Can't beleive this is the first thread......
JP, Britain and I are headed down to do battle with all you Cali types. Far as I know, we have ~25 914's showing up. We're running classes, so you don't have to run your 1.7 against "The Beast". Come on out and enjoy some racing and good people.
Demick
I'll be there both days.

I'd repost this to the regular forum. I don't think many people check the paddock.

Demick
grantsfo
I'm planning to be there both days! Fun times!!!! beerchug.gif piratenanner.gif
DanT
evidently not too many competitive types over here....
lots of cruising and pancakes, but not much real driving. confused24.gif happy11.gif
drgchapman
agree.gif
grantsfo
No one from So Cal? Thought there were a couple decent 914 AX cars down there. Monterey isnt all that far away?
SirAndy
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Jul 15 2008, 08:35 AM) *

The Shootout is less than 3 weeks away. Can't beleive this is the first thread......
JP, Britain and I are headed down to do battle with all you Cali types. Far as I know, we have ~25 914's showing up. We're running classes, so you don't have to run your 1.7 against "The Beast". Come on out and enjoy some racing and good people.

i'm pretty sure it has been posted here before because i remember i already said i would be there.

not competitive? yeah right ... rolleyes.gif

i won't take home TTOD, but i sure as hell will give some of you old folks a run for your money ...
stirthepot.gif Andy
DanT
you'll have to take a number Andy....there are several folks gunning for a couple of us... biggrin.gif

our numbers are just about 30 914s/drivers for the "shoot out".

JP/Britain in the Shitbox
Grant and Me in the Pirate ship
AndrewB in the Smurf
Randal in #222
BillP in the Beast
drgchapman in his hotrod
RobS in his Raby Rocket
and a host of others

grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 15 2008, 10:57 PM) *

you'll have to take a number Andy....there are several folks gunning for a couple of us... biggrin.gif

our numbers are just about 30 914s/drivers for the "shoot out".

JP/Britain in the Shitbox
Grant and Me in the Pirate ship
AndrewB in the Smurf
Randal in #222
BillP in the Beast
drgchapman in his hotrod
RobS in his Raby Rocket
and a host of others

I think Bill D will be there in his 3.2 car. Its fairly similar to Andy's car but lighter. Good times ahead!
DanT
I'll put money on BillC out running Andy laugh.gif laugh.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 15 2008, 10:29 PM) *

BillP, BillD, BillC ????

how the heck am i supposed to keep track of all the bills?
rolleyes.gif Andy
J P Stein
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 16 2008, 02:54 AM) *

BillP, BillD, BillC ????

rolleyes.gif Andy

No need to keep them all straight, just think of them as fodder.laugh.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 16 2008, 06:09 AM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 16 2008, 02:54 AM) *

BillP, BillD, BillC ????

rolleyes.gif Andy

No need to keep them all straight, just think of them as fodder.laugh.gif

My money is on all 3 Bills to be in front of Andy and JP. The three Bills are pretty darn fast and are driving completely different 914's. Bill C will have to work extra hard however as he is only packing a 1911cc VW motor. stirthepot.gif

Still suprised that we dont having anyone from So Cal coming as this event is so close.
DanT
BillP driving the beast with semi tube frame and MSX gears along with 2.7L RS style motor with programable injection, big slicks and very light chassis.
BillD driving a mildly lightened chassis, with 3.2SS motor, very strong on cantis.
BillC extremely light, very low, narrow bodied chassis, running a nicely built 1911 on carbs....

pick your poison. biggrin.gif

by the way, all are extremely good drivers with lots of experience.
ConeDodger
Andy should do well... I've seen him drive and he is giving it about 11/10ths.

Am I the only stockish car that is going to be there? I feel like I should go down to Kragen and gets some vinyl flames or something to jazz up the car a little!
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 17 2008, 08:06 AM) *

I've seen him drive and he is giving it about 11/10ths.

puts a whole new meaning to the term "overdrive" ... huh.gif

Demick
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 17 2008, 09:06 AM) *

Am I the only stockish car that is going to be there? I feel like I should go down to Kragen and gets some vinyl flames or something to jazz up the car a little!

Don't worry Rob, there will be plenty of stock-ish 914's there. Myself included.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Demick @ Jul 17 2008, 02:32 PM) *

Don't worry Rob, there will be plenty of stock-ish 914's there. Myself included.

Demick,
What is that thing, a reptile? I don't see any air under it! It is slammed lower than Dan's old Putt Putt! biggrin.gif
DanT
nope, actually Demick's car is a bit higher than the Puttputt. smile.gif

I will be co-driving Grants chop top racer... biggrin.gif

with all the fast 914s at these two events....the normal GGR and LPR results should really be stood on their heads
Demick
Yeah, what Dan said. It looks low in that picture, but it's really pretty high. When I put the small diameter autox wheels and tires on it, it begins to resemble a rally car.
DanT
here is low.... biggrin.gif

this is in a steady state non-cornerning attitude.

accelerating from 11-1 at Laguna
grantsfo

2270cc powered car stockish? huh.gif idea.gif idea.gif idea.gif bs.gif
DanT
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing Grant....

already trying to sand bag all the narrow bodied cars me thinks biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 18 2008, 04:25 PM) *

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing Grant....

already trying to sand bag all the narrow bodied cars me thinks biggrin.gif

I think based on MassIVe claims that motor has more torque than my small bore six and if its a cold day street tires will be sticking better than race slicks out there. See I can sand bag with the best of them happy11.gif

Rob, What does the car score on car classification? That will tell us how stockish it is!
DanT
according to the points site, he is in AX10, same as the Puttputt was.

I took a lot of points for tires/wheels

if he goes to bigger wheels and sticky tires he will be in 7 or 8 biggrin.gif
ConeDodger
I am refering to the voices I hear (see typing). Chopped up - no interior - six cylinder - slick wearing monsters. My car has a full interior, including a sub woofer stereo system and runs R tires. My only suspension development is Koni adjustables. It has stock sways etc... Oh... Turbo tie rods. I need to develop the suspension further soon...

I'm not sandbagging. I plan on getting beat. This is only the 3rd and 4th autocross for me. I did CRAB and one day of the two day Zone event at Chuck Shultz. That isn't sandbagging that is a fact.
DanT
biggrin.gif popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 19 2008, 06:54 PM) *

I plan on getting beat.

i know just the right girl for you! whip[1].gif

biggrin.gif Andy
koozy
Don't forget about my stockish lil Stella. We'll be there. Don't expect much from us but we will be having fun, none-the-less.

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 19 2008, 09:05 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 19 2008, 06:54 PM) *

I plan on getting beat.

i know just the right girl for you! whip[1].gif

biggrin.gif Andy

Ya! I'm married to her... and she is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif
grantsfo
Great course!

IPB Image
grantsfo
So who is planning to come to this event? Should be great fun!!! T Shirts are cool too!
Joe Ricard
JP is going to kill you guys. That looks like a real power course, if the car has grip ya'll are done for.
DanT
don't count his trophies just yet.

2007 Parade winner Steve Nieslony will be in attendance on Saturday....and he has put cars with more power than JP's on the trailer.

not to mention

the Beast
the Smurf
the Pirate Ship with two drivers
BillD's 3.2ss rocket.
grantsfo
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Jul 22 2008, 08:24 AM) *

JP is going to kill you guys. That looks like a real power course, if the car has grip ya'll are done for.

I have learned that most powerful car in the world wont beat moderate HP with a good driver. We will see. I know one thing for sure JP wont be doing any killing, Brit will be the only one capable of putting that car in front of drivers we have here.

However I honestly dont think a 914 will be setting TTOD. If Rob B shows up in the 996 TT or any of the fast local SCCA boys get out there its curtains for all us 914s.
J P Stein
I am old & slow which you need to point out again & again. If you get old, maybe you won't be a troll....but I wouldn't bet on it.

My money is still on Byholder. Brit was damn close to your SCCA GT2 guy at the NT. Both he & the car are better now. Good competition either way.
DanT
JP, you will like Grant when you meet him in person.

quiet, personable, willing to lend a hand, very likable....

he has a different persona on the web...

Randal
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 22 2008, 01:52 PM) *

don't count his trophies just yet.

2007 Parade winner Steve Nieslony will be in attendance on Saturday....and he has put cars with more power than JP's on the trailer.

not to mention

the Beast
the Smurf
the Pirate Ship with two drivers
BillD's 3.2ss rocket.

Not to take anything away from Steve as he is a great driver, but the first two don't belong on the list.
DanT
the intent was to say that there were more than just Steve's car that had the potential to be JP.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Jul 22 2008, 08:15 PM) *

he has a different persona on the web...

yawn.gif

i just ordered my super secret AX weapon. should be here by friday. if it works, ya'all will call me a cheater, if it doesn't work, nothing will change and i'll still be a mediocre driver ...
popcorn[1].gif Andy
drgchapman
I just reclassed my car based on new rubber that has just been added. This event was the push that came to shove.

Mo rubba=Mo fun!

AX5, 835 points

grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 22 2008, 08:39 PM) *

My money is still on Byholder. Brit was damn close to your SCCA GT2 guy at the NT. Both he & the car are better now. Good competition either way.

Sias in that crusher BMW put almost 2 seconds on my car last Marina AX. The Lotus that is coming put 3 seconds on my car. Andrew in past couple AX's is second or less from my cars times. That 996 TT runs hot and cold but if he's on he will be tough to beat. On thing we can do to make things more even for BMW and 996 TT is to make some tight gates. But that wont slow down the 1500 lb Lotus.

I suspect no 914's will be TTOD at this event due to Nor Cal SCCA visitors.
SirAndy
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 23 2008, 08:50 AM) *

Sias in that crusher BMW put almost 2 seconds on my car last Marina AX.

is he still around? i haven't seen him in years. his old 240Z AX car was a blast ...
shades.gif Andy
grantsfo
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 24 2008, 10:57 AM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 23 2008, 08:50 AM) *

Sias in that crusher BMW put almost 2 seconds on my car last Marina AX.

is he still around? i haven't seen him in years. his old 240Z AX car was a blast ...
shades.gif Andy

Yes he was at the AX school we had last weekend. And he occasionally attends UFO AX's at Marina.

Here is his car now. Its brutal! 450 WHP.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 22 2008, 08:39 PM) *

I am old & slow which you need to point out again & again. If you get old, maybe you won't be a troll....but I wouldn't bet on it.

I truly didnt mean it like that JP. What I mean is this will be very tough competition even Britain, who is rocketship fast, is going to have a tough time. Its not going to be a walk in the park for any of us with the folks who will be there. Honestly you and I might as well sit on sidelines if our only goal is TTOD. My bet on TTOD would be BMW or the Lotus with a horde of 914's fightin it out for 3rd. But who knows we might just upset the SCCA guys.
DanT
well, that was a fun, exhausting weekend of driving, socializing, bench racing, schmoozing, and did I say FUN? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 5 2008, 05:24 PM) *

well, that was a fun, exhausting weekend of driving, socializing, bench racing, schmoozing, and did I say FUN? biggrin.gif biggrin.gif happy11.gif happy11.gif

Heh....it wouldn't have been as much fun if I had realized I beat you on the 2nd day....what was that.04 sec. Just can't keep it up, eh? biggrin.gif
DanT
just never really got the entire course in my head on Sunday... confused24.gif

seemed like I would mess up in a spot, correct it on the next run and then screw up somewhere else....

I did have a 41.9 and sunday PM but coned that turkey right after the lights on the right side.... sad.gif

regardless of that, it was a great weekend all the way around...not near as many issues to deal with as I had imagined.

JP. I would really like to come north next year, and I think Larry is game also...we can probably get a few others to tag along also, since this was such a fun weekend.

we just need to source a 914 or two to drive..
grantsfo
QUOTE(Dan (Almaden Valley) @ Aug 5 2008, 05:37 PM) *

just never really got the entire course in my head on Sunday... confused24.gif

seemed like I would mess up in a spot, correct it on the next run and then screw up somewhere else....

I did have a 41.9 and sunday PM but coned that turkey right after the lights on the right side.... sad.gif

regardless of that, it was a great weekend all the way around...not near as many issues to deal with as I had imagined.

JP. I would really like to come north next year, and I think Larry is game also...we can probably get a few others to tag along also, since this was such a fun weekend.

we just need to source a 914 or two to drive..

If I still have the 914 then it will be much more capable and I'd entertain going and sharing with you and Larry. But I really think to be practical next event should be in California - I dont think we would get many people attending with that type of drive.
J P Stein
Yeah, it's a hassle to step that far from the pond......but doing that gives you an idea of what other areas do and how fast they are. Sitting in the security of a known
area is easier. Going to someone else's house puts you at an immediate disadvantage, but you'll never KNOW how fast you (or they) are unless you get out of your pond.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.