Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Any Experience With Pelican 914 Fuse Box Replacement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dale 914
Hey,
has anyone installed the Pelican updated fuse box? I am so sick of the original ceramic fuse box in my Teener? It looks different from some of the other after market options and wondering how difficult it is to install and are there any spare slots.

Thanks.
Dale
Rusty
I have no personal experience with that kit... but you might want to check out Engman's kit. His stuff is hella-cool... and priced for 914 folks. smile.gif

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=62611

sean_v8_914
I have installed 4 Engman fuse panels. it is a very nice pc and solves many electrical gremlins common to 914s. ...and you will never kick out another fuse
Trevorg7
Agreed. I've go the Engman fuse kit and its great.

T
Dr Evil
QUOTE(Trevorg7 @ Jul 15 2008, 04:26 PM) *

Agreed. I've go the Engman fuse kit and its great.

T

Wow, did you install it yourself? If Trevor can do it, anyone can poke.gif

I have Engman's fuse box and it is a great piece at a ridiculously low price thumb3d.gif
ericread
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Jul 15 2008, 12:54 PM) *

I have installed 4 Engman fuse panels. it is a very nice pc and solves many electrical gremlins common to 914s. ...and you will never kick out another fuse

WOW! How'd you fit four fuse panels in your 914? I can see maybe two panels, but four???

biggrin.gif
Cevan
I have J West unit in my car. The PO installed it. It's actually cheaper by about $15 and works great.
Engman
QUOTE(Cevan @ Jul 15 2008, 05:14 PM) *

I have J West unit in my car. The PO installed it. It's actually cheaper by about $15 and works great.

You 'might' want to compare apples to apples on this pricing.

M
TedK
Back to the original question.........do either of the aftermarket units come with additional slots?(for more circuits) By the looks of them they do not, but I too would like to know the answer.

Ted K
Rusty
Hmmm... I didn't know that JWest made a unit, too.

Sometimes I'm in awe of the people who have the motivation and the initiative to do cool stuff like this. pray.gif
QUOTE(TedK @ Jul 15 2008, 04:48 PM) *

Back to the original question.........do either of the aftermarket units come with additional slots?(for more circuits) By the looks of them they do not, but I too would like to know the answer.

Ted K

Looking at the pics at both sites I would say it is set up for stock as you say. Maybe that is why SeanV8914 has four installed?

I could see two to handle any extra goodies that might need a fuse..

JKP
TedK
Was that four in one car or one in each of four cars?
736conver
Or you can aquire the parts your self and do it for under $20. Dont remember the part number or manufacture, but there are lots of fuse blocks out there.
LowGT
I used the J West kit, it is stock replacement. Just take one connector off at a time and plug it into the new unit. Easy.

Don't get greedy and unplug everything, or else you'll be scratching you head for a long time wondering where everything is supposed to go.

Dan
Rand

WOW! How'd you fit four fuse panels in your 914? I can see maybe two panels, but four???

laugh.gif
I bet he has installed a few motors in his time too. Imagine how fast his car is!
drew365
QUOTE(LowGT @ Jul 15 2008, 04:59 PM) *

I used the J West kit, it is stock replacement. Just take one connector off at a time and plug it into the new unit. Easy.

Don't get greedy and unplug everything, or else you'll be scratching you head for a long time wondering where everything is supposed to go.

Dan

agree.gif This is how I installed my JWest fuse box. Pretty simple and a perfect fit.
ConeDodger
I used the JWest box but both of these guys make innovative products for our cars. I would be confident using either of their products...
JWest
QUOTE(dale 914 @ Jul 15 2008, 01:23 PM) *

Hey,
has anyone installed the Pelican updated fuse box? I am so sick of the original ceramic fuse box in my Teener? It looks different from some of the other after market options and wondering how difficult it is to install and are there any spare slots.

Thanks.
Dale

My (JWest) unit is the Pelican unit.

I developed the first available fuse box replacement for 914s. It had some extra fuses, but the fuse holders I was using skyrocketed in price and I had to redesign. The current version has the stock number of fuses.
Rand
So there was something said about apples and oranges referring to the jwest and engman units and their prices.

I'm almost afraid to ask this here because I have HUGE respect for BOTH vendors. They both provide top notch stuff!!

I'm just curious about the differences between the two products. Can anyone tell me the difference between the apple and orange?
JWest
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 16 2008, 12:02 AM) *

So there was something said about apples and oranges referring to the jwest and engman units and their prices.

I'm almost afraid to ask this here because I have HUGE respect for BOTH vendors. They both provide top notch stuff!!

I'm just curious about the differences between the two products. Can anyone tell me the difference between the apple and orange?

Here is the full description of the JWest version:

Cost is $95. For an extra $10 you can add LED smart fuses.

My kit comes with 4 different sets of labels specific to your year of 914. The labels spell out exactly what system the fuse is proteecting and the wire colors feeding that fuse are shown. The fuse amperage for that position is also on the label.

A full analysis of the wiring was performed across the years, and the fuse amperage for some of the circuits on the early cars was lowered for added safety. The factory actually increased the load on some of the circuits in the later cars, but still lowered the amperage of the fuse.

Internal busses tie certain fuses together to replicate the factory fuse box.

The mounting plate is powdercoated in high-gloss black.

You can also get my fog light flash module which is an easy install while you swap out the fuse box.
dale 914
Thank-you everyone for your inputs. Man, when you ask a question on this forum, no stone is left unturned - that's great and apprciated!

It would appear from all accounts, both choices are well engineered and a huge improvement over the original box.

Thanks again, will order mine today!

Dale
smilie_pokal.gif
TheCabinetmaker
So, who's ya gonna order?
dale 914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Jul 16 2008, 07:58 PM) *

So, who's ya gonna order?

Jim made a strong close - JWest is going in my teener!

Dale
piratenanner.gif
PeeGreen 914
I just order a Jwest too as I ordered the fog flasher from Pelican with my $50 gift certificate I won at the WCR. biggrin.gif
3d914
What about the relays on the stock panel? Are those included also? From the pics on the seller's sites - it doesn't look like they are.
SirAndy
QUOTE(3d914 @ Dec 26 2011, 10:52 AM) *
What about the relays on the stock panel? Are those included also? From the pics on the seller's sites - it doesn't look like they are.

No, the relays are not included, you simply use your current ones. The large holes in the replacement fuse box are used to mount the existing relay sockets.

shades.gif
Ian Stott
I have the JWest unit, installed last spring, high quality and user friendly install, haven't had a fuse get knocked out with the knee since! I also have the flasher unit so I can drive with just my (pilot lights) much brighter than the original fogs. I like not having the headlights in the up position when out for a nice drive but with the pilots oncoming traffic can see you. Plan on getting the third brake light this coming summer as I think it is a good safety feature, some of the third brake light installs I have seen here look very professional.

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
JeffBowlsby
Mark and Jim, on your aftermarket fuseblocks I have not seen either of these offered in person, so I have some questions: Photos would be really helpful as illustrations.

* A few of the fuse positions have 2 wires/groups of wires that connect on one side of a fuse, the stock fuseblock has 2 receiver tabs for this...how are these connected on the aftermarket fuseblocks that have only one tab?

* Some of the fuses are bussed together on one side of the stock fuseblock...are the same circuits on the aftermarket fuseblocks bussed together, and if so how?

* Wires in the harness turn a 90-angle and plug into the back of the stock fuseblock. Are the aftermarket fuseblocks configured this way, or do wires need to be contorted into some other position to connect? Are any wires/connections put under physical stress upon installation?
Mike Bellis
The system uses a "Y" spade connector as needed to split the circuit. The spade connections face front and aft, not up like the factory connection. The harness does have to be streched a little, but if done with care will not put undo stress on the wires. I loosened the tape braid on the harness a little to facilitate the strech.
TurbOH Brad
I don't have much more to add to the conversation...but, I have used the JWest kit, and I would easily recommend it. Without hesitation, it is much better than the old ceramic style stock fuse box.
JeffBowlsby
QUOTE(TurbOH Brad @ Dec 27 2011, 05:02 AM) *

I don't have much more to add to the conversation...but, I have used the JWest kit, and I would easily recommend it. Without hesitation, it is much better than the old ceramic style stock fuse box.

How are they better, specifically? I get it that the newer fuse style with indicator lights is a better design, and that the fuses don't fall out if you knee the fusebox but I never had that issue ever. The original fuse box, fuses and cover have never been a problem or created a failure as far as I know. An older design, sure, but so what? So is the perceived advantage just because its a newer design?
Tom
Jeff,
Much larger contact area with the ATC style fuses and they tend to "self clean" the contact area when installing them. The stock ones have a habit of getting some corrosion on them and causing various symptoms in the electrical system. Maybe you never had any problems, but I sure have read about folks who have.
Had a couple issues before with the ceramic style fuses becoming corroded or loose. I put J West's kit in my car and have never had any fuse issues.
Tom
Harpo
I purchased this fuse box a while ago and just got around to installing it. Super simple.

Click to view attachment
3d914
Thanks for the photo Harpo. Do I see three extra holes for relays (one on top & on each side)? Mine is to be customized for V6.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.