Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: VW Factory Site Announced
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rwjames
VW just announced they have selected Chattanooga, Tennessee for the site of their new U.S. manufacturing plant.

It's scheduled to start running in early 2011 and employee around 2,000 employees initally.

Link:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...0s&refer=us
carr914
They should have never left Pennsylvania

T.C.
Root_Werks
Although a move, still nice to see jobs being kept in the states.
james2
Good, guess when the Air force finally kills these AC130s I'm patching back together, I can get a job up there.......

/not really
//I'm not a factory worker type
///edit. i'm not a worker type period.
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 15 2008, 02:48 PM) *

They should have never left Pennsylvania
T.C.

Sadly, the only thing that the PA factory did was loose money year after year.

If VW had stayed there even 1 year longer, it would have resulted in them having to end sales in the US. VAG nearly closed up shop here, until the New Beetle saved their bacon.

Zach
zymurgist
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jul 15 2008, 11:32 PM) *

If VW had stayed there even 1 year longer, it would have resulted in them having to end sales in the US. VAG nearly closed up shop here, until the New Beetle saved their bacon.

heh heh heh... New Beetle. aaron.gif

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Justinp71
Awesome!

There was a Turbo Golf at the last Autocross I was at and he was faster than my 914-6 on slicks... Not that I'm the fastest driver either. biggrin.gif
LarryR
I think the new TDI's will save their bacon once again. I think once people realize that they can get near prius mpg with the same acceleration (within .2 sec) of a mini cooper S they will buy the new TDI's in mass.

Glad to hear they will be building them here.
Gary
"The sedan produced at the plant will be priced between the Jetta and Passat models" idea.gif Anyone heard of this?
james2
QUOTE(Gary @ Jul 16 2008, 06:46 PM) *

"The sedan produced at the plant will be priced between the Jetta and Passat models" idea.gif Anyone heard of this?

Yea, it's going to be called the Choo, Choo
Gary
Found this on VW Vortex:

Volkswagen plans to produce a new mid-sized platform at this factory. Essentially this will be a U.S. market-specific Passat model, although it may not be called "Passat" when it arrives in 2011... Volkswagen of America will now be able to specifically build a car better suited to this market, realize significant cost savings (since it won't have to be imported from Germany) and, most importantly, have a new mid-size car platform strategy that *could* result in a minivan and other mid-size vehicle entries that share components similar to the Toyota Camry/Sienna/Highlander.

We have an '07 Passat Wagon - love it. The next German Passat CC won't have a wagon available and is postured to compete with MB.
Rusty
Huntsville Alabama was really pushing for the VW plant... they offered an incentive package totalling $220,000,000... and it wasn't enough to seal the deal.

Wow. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.