Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT.What about unhappy ebay buyers?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
james2
So, a friend of mine had a 56 chevy 2 door post he sold on Ebay. car was pretty solid, a little rust, no motor or tranny.

So the car sells for$3250.00, a little low if you check the price of the cars. dry.gif

The buyer sends his friend to look at the car and pick it up. The guy crawls over and under the car inspecting it, pays and hauls it off.

Couple days later the high bidder calls and says he is not happy with the car. mad.gif

My friend offers to repurchase the car, and is happy to do so because he had a local buyer offer more money anyway.

The High bidder doesn't want to return the car, but wants part of his money back. Or if he does return the car, he wants an additional $1000 for trailering it both ways.

My friend ask me unsure.gif and i said no way! av-943.gif

He is afraid of bad feedback. I told him to take the bad feedback and see if ebay will take it off or just live with it.

What would you do?
G e o r g e
tell the buyer you will refund full bid amount once car has been returned to you.

that's it no more no less

Rusty
Once upon a time, I sold a 914 to a guy two states over. Graduating from law school, it was the first car he ever bought himself. Daddy (also a lawyer) came with him. I warned him about the loving care and maintenance that a 914 needed. The young man bragged "I don't fix cars myself... I fix them with my checkbook."

He was happy with the car when he left. But, being 25+ years old, it wasn't perfect. I volunteered to pay for the battery he said failed during the trip back home. (Riiiiight...) After that came a litany of complaints... chips in the paint, something loose, alternator failure, starter problems, etc... in retrospect, I think the voltage regulator was the real culprit. But, when I sold it, it was running like a top. In the end, I told him to KMA or sue me.

I think your friend has already been more than patient.

If someone buys a used car, they have an inherent responsibility to do their homework. Sometimes there are things a seller just doesn't know.

Unless it's a case of outright fraud... bad title... stuff like that... the buyer doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I'd tell the buyer to KMA. Can buyers even leave negative feedback anymore? I know the rules changed recently.
jimkelly
what bullshit on the part of the buyer - he had the car inspected and won the auction. the seller is being more than fair. the seller should tell buyer to pay his ebay selling fees as well.

jim
LowGT
As far as cars go, I know what I'm selling. I've already poked around with screw drivers, had it to the shop for a checkup, etc... You better inspect it before the auction ends, because when the auction ends all I want to see is cash in hand and that car gone.

For what your friend sold the car for, and without engine or transmission, the guy shouldn't be expecting the world. I would tell the seller too bad. He should have come inspected the car himself BEFORE he bought it.
KLECKO
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 15 2008, 07:44 PM) *

what bullshit on the part of the buyer - he had the car inspected and won the auction. the seller is being more than fair. the seller should tell buyer to pay his ebay selling fees as well.

jim

I just bought a 914 ,from ebay.I asked alot of questions.The seller sent me a bunch of extra pics.He said their is no rust ,the pics didnt show rust.I the buyer have to take into account .The fact that the car is 36 yr old,and most likey there will be rust somewhere.
The buyer has to take some
responsibility.The car was inspected !!!!!
The fact that your friend offered to take it back and refund his money.I think your friend was being a nice guy.I say screw the buyer

ws91420
He had a friend inspect it. The friend thought it was good enough for the
money. The friend gave the money to the seller. The buyer should have a beef with his friend not the seller.
Brando
It's not your responsibility. Unless stated, there is no return policy on the deal, which is legally binding and final. He can leave you bad feedback, but all you need to do is either leave a remark on your feedback about the seller failing to fully inspect the vehicle himself, knew of the issues and is trying to extort half of the purchase price back.

If he wants to get all of his money back, he can ship it or drop it off. It's only fair. In the one event when I did have to take an item back (stubborn buyer who could only be made happy that way) I did not refund shipping prices. They paid for it to get out there, they can pay to give it back. I never charged shipping for the replacement item though, and that seems to be the norm for most all buyers and sellers on evilBay.
Pat Garvey
Buyer beware - seller take care!

That's life: that's free enterprise.
orange914
QUOTE(Rusty @ Jul 15 2008, 04:42 PM) *

I'd tell the buyer to KMA. Can buyers even leave negative feedback anymore? I know the rules changed recently.

oh contrare my friend, buyers CAN sellers CANT

evil bay no longer cares about sellers, it's looking to enlarge it's buyer base for the new e bay megga dealer. they dont want to deal with the lil' guy anymore.

your right though tell the buyer to KMA
bigkensteele
Reminds me of an experience of my own. I met a local guy who seemed to be a 914 guru. I had two cars at the time and only wanted one, so I stripped everthing that I thought I might want or need off the 76, which was still a very solid tub (compared to what I have seen resurrected here). I GAVE it to the guy as a good faith gesture in hopes that I could learn from him and perhaps make some 914 connections in the area and have a part resource, since the guy has a huge garage full of parts.

A few months later, he found out that we were selling my wife's old Toyota. He thought that it would be a great car for his daughter and new husband to buy. I told him that I don't like to sell anything to people I know, but he insisted. I was not willing to drop the price to his satisfaction, but his daughter liked it for the money, so they bought it AFTER having it inspected by the local Midas shop.

About a month later, this guy (not his daughter) calls me and wants me to give him $600 because the alternator went out and the rear brakes needed to be replaced. I reminded him that it was a used car, which carries no warranty. I also reminded him that he had it inspected, and then I reminded him that I had given him a car with a clean title that he went on to rebuild. He hung up on me.

Not sure if he is on this board, but I know that a couple of his acquaintances are.

Long story short - be fair with people and expect the same, but don't let yourself by victimized by assholes with more nerves than class. If someone agrees to the terms of the sale of a used piece of merchandise - any used piece of merchandise, then they should know what they are getting into. If they can't reasonably determine what they are getting into, then they have no business bidding on it, and the market will dictate what it should go for.
james2
That's what I said.

Thanks for all the input. smile.gif

QUOTE(ws91420 @ Jul 15 2008, 04:50 PM) *

He had a friend inspect it. The friend thought it was good enough for the
money. The friend gave the money to the seller. The buyer should have a beef with his friend not the seller.

dbgriffith75
agree.gif w/ all

Screw the buyer. He should've inspected it, not his friend. And now that's just too f**king bad for him.
zymurgist
agree.gif

Poor wittle buyer, stuck with a '56 Chevy that his own friend inspected prior to purchase. We should all have such problems.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.