Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: shot of the car on the front lawn with Hoosiers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
byndbad914
so I took a few photos of the car on the front yard to remind my neighbors just how bad it could be laugh.gif I coulda took off my shirt and sported a farmer tan while drinking a PBR but figured I would spare the world that sight barf.gif

I really like the overall look of the smaller diam rear Hoosier, but since nobody else seems to I can't buy 'em used. And new they are cheaper than the bigger GYs, but I can get the GYs used for about 1/5 the price of the Hos. In any event, they should be better on the track overall gearing wise as I tend to be well below redline through every turn except thru the esses at Pueblo - and I just hit the rev limiter so I will just increase it up to 7800 or so from 7300 and bump up against it a little.

Click to view attachment
byndbad914
and the ventilation
Click to view attachment
seanery
lookin' gud! beerchug.gif
Dr. Roger
"That is one fine specimen of 914 right there, i do declare"! <spoken in backwoods of south dacota dialect>

biggrin.gif
Gint
You can take billy out of the hills... laugh.gif

Looks good Tim!
plymouth37
Looking good!
neo914-6
beerchug.gif
byndbad914
thanks for the compliments guys.
sww914
I'm a hardcore anti-914-V8 guy. I hate people chopping up another 914 and making it into a really fast short term rocket.
I absolutely love your car. It looks sooo good and I've seen lots of pictures of how you built it. Thanks for taking the time to post so often and show us all how to do it right. I almost want one now. That V-8 rumble. Low and black. Big sticky tires.
Wes V
Dang, I have to be more carefull reading the titles.

I jumped into this string thinking it was "shot of the car on the front lawn with hooters.

Wes
6freak
QUOTE(sww914 @ Jul 17 2008, 01:19 AM) *

I'm a hardcore anti-914-V8 guy. I hate people chopping up another 914 and making it into a really fast short term rocket.
I absolutely love your car. It looks sooo good and I've seen lots of pictures of how you built it. Thanks for taking the time to post so often and show us all how to do it right. I almost want one now. That V-8 rumble. Low and black. Big sticky tires.

DITTO...BUT VERY COOL LOOK`N RIDE
byndbad914
thanks guys!

Wes - sorry to disappoint hahahah. Tho' maybe if I did have take some photos like that on the front lawn some of the neighbors would like the car better confused24.gif laugh.gif

Steve - stare directly into the pic below (being a paint and body guy IIRC don't look at the passenger door too closely).... yur getting sleepy.... now stare at the wavy door.... yur getting sleepy.... want V8.... big cammed V8.... steam roller tires.... happy11.gif

Click to view attachment

there is something to be said about having a tire that is half as wide as it is tall me thinks aktion035.gif 12" width, 23.5" tall

BTW, that is probably the nicest thing anyone ever said to me, I almost teared up hahahahahaha w00t.gif

jhadler
Tim,

The car looks fantastic! So... Is it track ready right now??? Registration for the TT at Pueblo is still open right now I think... biggrin.gif

-Josh2
rebelmdot
That thing looks like it will run "like a scalded dog!"

Now that is red neck talk. beer.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jul 17 2008, 12:18 PM) *

Tim,

The car looks fantastic! So... Is it track ready right now??? Registration for the TT at Pueblo is still open right now I think... biggrin.gif

-Josh2

Hey Josh... what TT is that and when? Is there a link to a site about the track day?

I have the new starter in it and the new shifter I got broke while I was modifying it headbang.gif so I am going to just band-aid the original tower back together for now and I am jonesing for a track day...
jhadler
Tim,

It's the SCCA TT/Regional this weekend. TT gets you about an hour of track time, same as the road racers. Passing is restricted to straights, and only on a point by. Your car would require full safety gear, but if I recall, you already have all of that.

Info is at:

http://www.sccatimetrials.org/

And at:

http://www.rmsolo.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5

-Josh2
byndbad914
QUOTE(jhadler @ Jul 17 2008, 01:19 PM) *

It's the SCCA TT/Regional this weekend. TT gets you about an hour of track time, same as the road racers. Passing is restricted to straights, and only on a point by. Your car would require full safety gear, but if I recall, you already have all of that.

Josh, you wanna PM me a phone number I can call you at tonight? It would be easier to just hash out what I would need to do verbally than typing (as it what safety gear is required, etc). this weekend is short turn around, but if I get it back together I might be up for that.
sww914
You'll need to catch me when I've had too many drinks for that to work. biggrin.gif
I try not to judge anyone else's body & paint work. I'm a professional, I'm supposed to be better at it than somebody doing their first car in their garage.
So your body & paint work isn't perfect, but you still get loads of compliments on the car.
Justinp71
Looks Mean....

Have you done any competitive events with it yet? Is it as fast as it looks, I'm also a fan of sbc's so I am very curious...
byndbad914
QUOTE(Justinp71 @ Jul 17 2008, 04:25 PM) *

Looks Mean....

Have you done any competitive events with it yet? Is it as fast as it looks, I'm also a fan of sbc's so I am very curious...

I have tracked it quite a bit after moving to Colorado (but don't W2W) and my best timed run so far was in the upper 1:44 range. I went thru some iterations on suspension setups to get to that, then it turned cold over the winter and I know I was improving the car but the times weren't showing it as the track was so cold I couldn't get grip from the tires.

Last time out I didn't have a timing set unfortunately, but I had heat in the tires and I was flying through some of the corners at higher rpms than ever before, so I am hoping it is faster and not just back to the 1:44s and 1:45s I saw last summer. I have my own timing set now and was going to run it last week and the car just didn't agree and suffice it to say it never started at the track. I got home and it started about fifth try, but the starter was intermittent and messed up so I have a new one.

Hope to get out in the next couple of weeks and get some times.

For comparison, the last Rocky Mountain Vintage Racing event there last month on a hot day so good heat in the tires track surface, the fastest fendered car I saw was a taildragger running best time of upper 1:41 and 1:42s and the second fastest was another dragger at 1:43s. A couple other cars in the 1:45 range and then right downhill from there. So it's fast by comparison to most cars and I think a little faster now but only the timer will tell. And I am pretty tame with it and haven't really pushed it to driving like I stole it yet. I think it has 1:41s in it as well.

On big tracks is where it will shine - Pueblo is not a HP track except the quarter mile straight, which isn't worth much in the long run with all the slower turns. Fast tracks like Willow Springs would make quite a difference I think - I moved right when I finished the chassis and never ran it there in this config.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.