Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early vs. Late Targa Tops: Did the changes make a difference? Noise?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
horizontally-opposed
This is a longshot, but maybe someone does have the experience needed with a like against like experience between the early and late 914 tops, documented so well here:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=73129

I know Porsche doesn't do things for no reason. And the mods look smart, as usual. But, were they successful in, what, stiffening the top? Securing it better? Quieting the top? Or is a good early top with good rubber just as quiet and "seal-ful" as a late one in similar condition?

Inquiring minds want to know. At least this one does.

Thanks in advance if you think you can help!

bye1.gif

pete
roadster fan
I can say from experience that a early top will not seal properly to the late door window top. I believe this is why the late top has a different mounting surface for the targa top side window seal, to move the seal down closer to the door.

On my car I have a early door on the drivers side and despite the poor condition of the side window seal on the top it works pretty good. On the passenger side I have a late door and glass, and the top of the glass does not seal against the top seal. It is short by about 1/8". I have a early door to replace it with and when I do I will compare the glass, which I suspect is different.

The other mods to the late top look like they would lighten the top by a little and could be why they changed. Hope this helps,

Jim
Gint
I'm glad I kept my cherry 72 top. smile.gif
ConeDodger
Pete,
By chance did you ask Paul Sayegh that question when you called him today? (I was on the other line biggrin.gif ) At WCR O7 Paul and SirAndy did a bit of a targa top clinic in the parking lot grass going over early vs. late differences. It was interesting. I wish I could remember all of the things they noted and the discussion that resulted.
roadster fan
Uh.....Rob.......the link to the differences is in Pete's first post shades.gif

Jim
SirAndy
QUOTE(roadster fan @ Jul 15 2008, 06:16 PM) *

I can say from experience that a early top will not seal properly to the late door window top. I believe this is why the late top has a different mounting surface for the targa top side window seal, to move the seal down closer to the door.

On my car I have a early door on the drivers side and despite the poor condition of the side window seal on the top it works pretty good. On the passenger side I have a late door and glass, and the top of the glass does not seal against the top seal. It is short by about 1/8". I have a early door to replace it with and when I do I will compare the glass, which I suspect is different.

same here, just reversed. i have early doors and a late top and the windows don't seal very well against the top.

i suspect later cars with the correct later top seal better ...
bye1.gif Andy
914Sixer
If I remember correctly, you must used the later front seal and side seals together. You should not mix and match the seals. I remember seeing a bulletin somewhere in the factory manual. I will look for it later today. Also the mounting blocks in the rear of early tops is different from the later ones.
horizontally-opposed
Thanks for the input.

So, further research (including a talk with Paul! biggrin.gif ) seems to suggest that only the early rear top seal is available, while the top's side seals are only available as late seals.

Did Porsche change the design of the A-pillar-to-Targa-top seal when it changed the top. And, if so, which one do you get when you buy the seal these days?

Argh!

pete
anderssj
My 72 has a late top (from a 75). With late front and side seals, it works pretty well. My original top de-laminated over the spots where rear catches/hooks were fastened. Not sure why that happened--could've been 2-3 years in Phoenix AZ sun followed by 3 years of Seattle rain?
PRS914-6
On Saturday at the Porsche Family deal, I'll take the time to measure some tops, windows, window heights and seals between early and late cars.

Mike D.
And, BTW, the the vinyl covered "bolister" piece that runs across the front of the top in not interchangable.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.