Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Suspension question for DE track days
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
EMRoadster
I'm trying to decide after much reading and still semi confused...
I'm building my 914 primarily for DE, track days and Time attack type events with some autocross throne in the mix. I will be wanting 911 brakes that I can still fit inside a 15" wheel.

Is there enough reason to use 911 struts with the larger wheel bearings or go with the aluminum conversion 5 lug hubs that fit the 914 struts/bearings that will easily allow 911 rotors that someone on this forum makes. (if I can find the thread again...)
Hopefully some with real track experience can offer first hand experience as to which is worth doing. I'm leaning toward the conversion hubs on the 914 struts to make getting properly valve struts easier if the 914 bearings are up to the task. Wheel sizes will be 9-10" fronts and 12" rears with slicks and 275 to 300 WHP is planned.

Thanks,
SirAndy
QUOTE(EMRoadster @ Jul 16 2008, 12:37 AM) *

Wheel sizes will be 9-10" fronts and 12" rears with slicks and 275 to 300 WHP is planned.

in that range, you'll be better off to just go with a complete 911 front end. that way, you'll get the larger 911 torsion bars and the bigger brakes and rotors. bye1.gif

the billet hubs are great for the more stock classed race cars ...
driving.gif Andy
EMRoadster
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 16 2008, 02:57 AM) *

QUOTE(EMRoadster @ Jul 16 2008, 12:37 AM) *

Wheel sizes will be 9-10" fronts and 12" rears with slicks and 275 to 300 WHP is planned.

in that range, you'll be better off to just go with a complete 911 front end. that way, you'll get the larger 911 torsion bars and the bigger brakes and rotors. bye1.gif

the billet hubs are great for the more stock classed race cars ...
driving.gif Andy

I had already figured 911 control arms to allow a choice in torsion bars but had read that getting 911 dampners/struts/shocks with valving apropriate for a 914 was pretty much a custom purchase.

I guess for the long run I'll be on the lookout for a complete 911 front end.

Should I be concerned about the 914 rear bearings and hubs considering the wheel size I'm planning?

Thanks,
SirAndy
QUOTE(EMRoadster @ Jul 16 2008, 12:53 PM) *

Should I be concerned about the 914 rear bearings and hubs considering the wheel size I'm planning?

that has been a heated debate here in the past ...

i (only) run 9" slicks, but i use large wheel spacers, so i'm sure i'm putting quite a bit more load on the bearings than a stockish car.

so far so good with the stock bearings. i think if you make it a habit of checking them on a regular basis, you'll be fine.

others may disagree with that ...
shades.gif Andy
EMRoadster
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 17 2008, 10:55 AM) *

QUOTE(EMRoadster @ Jul 16 2008, 12:53 PM) *

that has been a heated debate here in the past ...

i (only) run 9" slicks, but i use large wheel spacers, so i'm sure i'm putting quite a bit more load on the bearings than a stockish car.

so far so good with the stock bearings. i think if you make it a habit of checking them on a regular basis, you'll be fine.

others may disagree with that ...
shades.gif Andy

Do you know of any links to those discussions?
I guess I should at least look into what is involved for upgrades to the rear bearings...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.