Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Surprise Under the Fuel Tank
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AvalonFal
Pulled the fuel tank and had a nice surprise to find the the PO had installed extra long rubber fuel hose at the tank connections, so the tank come out very easily. The bad surprise was the type of hose that was used. On the side of the hose was printed - "Not for use with unleaded or gasohol fuels".

Paul
Click to view attachment
davep
It is so sad that so much of the population is illiterate these days.
Very good catch on your part.
AvalonFal
Here's what the hose looked like.

Paul

Click to view attachment
914Sixer
You saved yourself a lot of grief down the road. Did you smell gas in the front compartment?
AvalonFal
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jul 16 2008, 09:09 AM) *

You saved yourself a lot of grief down the road. Did you smell gas in the front compartment?

No gas smell. No leak. Car ran great. I pulled the fuel tank just to do a little clean-up/painting and quite accidentally found the bad hose.
Hose was double wall - braided inside with rubber cover - so that might have helped a little. Already changed out all the engine fuel lines, so now I'll do the lines to and from the fuel pump.
Lesson for everyone to check PO's work no matter how good the car seems!!

Paul
GeorgeRud
I wonder how long ago that hose was replaced? Any chance it was before the time when all we could get is the sorry excuse for gasoline that is sold these days?
Root_Werks
blink.gif
Rusty
Scary.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(davep @ Jul 16 2008, 05:41 AM) *

It is so sad that so much of the population is illiterate these days.
Very good catch on your part.

To use "illiterate" as a descriptive word for guys like that is unfair to those, for whatever reason, can't read. "Ignorant, self-centered a**hole" is a much better term.

The Cap'n
Cevan
Make sure to use the proper FI style clamps like the one on the left. Don't use the one on the right. My car had about 20 of the wrong ones, and at least half had started to cut thru the hose.

Click to view attachment
roadster fan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 16 2008, 01:41 PM) *

To use "illiterate" as a descriptive word for guys like that is unfair to those, for whatever reason, can't read. "Ignorant, self-centered a**hole" is a much better term.

The Cap'n

av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.