Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: gasket for oil pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DarrenG
Does anyone know if coppercoat can be used instead of a gasket when installing the oil pump?

Thanks

D
Cap'n Krusty
Why? You "going paperless"? The Cap'n
DarrenG
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 16 2008, 10:50 AM) *

Why? You "going paperless"? The Cap'n

I have the engine apart and the paper gasket broke. I have coppercoat and using it would save me shipping time waiting on the new gasket.
dbgriffith75
I'm not sure what "coppercoat" is, but if it's similar to high temp goop, you should be OK. The oil pump fits pretty snugly into the crankcase and there's not much room for oil to leak out. As long as you give it proper time (I think 8 hours is reccommended, but I always give it 24) to set up and seal, it shouldn't be a problem.
DarrenG
QUOTE(dbgriffith75 @ Jul 16 2008, 11:50 AM) *

I'm not sure what "coppercoat" is, but if it's similar to high temp goop, you should be OK. The oil pump fits pretty snugly into the crankcase and there's not much room for oil to leak out. As long as you give it proper time (I think 8 hours is reccommended, but I always give it 24) to set up and seal, it shouldn't be a problem.

It's high temp goop with copper flakes in it to fill small imperfections. really messy. I'll run with it.

Thanks
McMark
Loctite 518 (the red stuff) is great with the pressures involved. I learned the hard way, and I won't use anything else now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.